Votes: 399 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 661 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The 8 speed xsmn's oil last forever , dang I should've got one of them 8 speeds Ha ha that does sound crazy

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It's a lifetime fill ! They just don't define what lifetime means . Lol. Other auto companies that use the same zf trans say change fluid at 75000 miles.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
my favorite blackstone report

250k miles or so in a transmission that was never changed. Consider this, this is the best transmission Ram has ever had as far as being easy on fluid and is real PAO fluid. Guys on the board have changed it at 100k miles and they say it still looked new. Sean who towed changed it at 40k and said it looked new, but had metal. Metal shavings are going to be trapped in the metal filter, that wont be an issue. You can change it at 50k miles, but if it were me I wouldn't even be thinking about it til past 100k miles.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I don't take a whole lot of solace from lab tests on ****** oil. I'm sure the Redline boys would take exception to there being 82 better oils than redline out there. I'm more interested in how an oil performs in my engine. And you're highly rated Quaker state rattled like hell in someone's engine on here. I'm more interested in UOA's, that's real world testing. Oh, by the way, the new Amsoil formula is in my engine, UOA in about 6 months or so.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Well said, all engines wear differently, and im looking forward to your UOA. Do you have a recent one to compare it to?

EDIT:
And how do you know for sure its the new formulation. They said they would releas the new one at the designated date but deplete old stock as well. And the lable is supposed to be the same, maybe the certs on the back of the bottle are different?

Last edited:

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well said, all engines wear differently, and im looking forward to your UOA. Do you have a recent one to compare it to?
No, haven't had any one oil in there over 1500 miles, didn't figure there was much point until around 5000 or so.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
my favorite blackstone report

250k miles or so in a transmission that was never changed. Consider this, this is the best transmission Ram has ever had as far as being easy on fluid and is real PAO fluid. Guys on the board have changed it at 100k miles and they say it still looked new. Sean who towed changed it at 40k and said it looked new, but had metal. Metal shavings are going to be trapped in the metal filter, that wont be an issue. You can change it at 50k miles, but if it were me I wouldn't even be thinking about it til past 100k miles.

I would find ever way possible to do it at 50. Even at the super expensive fluid price. JMO.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't take a whole lot of solace from lab tests on ****** oil. I'm sure the Redline boys would take exception to there being 82 better oils than redline out there. I'm more interested in how an oil performs in my engine. And you're highly rated Quaker state rattled like hell in someone's engine on here. I'm more interested in UOA's, that's real world testing. Oh, by the way, the new Amsoil formula is in my engine, UOA in about 6 months or so.

Well said!

Does the new Amsoil have any different labeling?

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

EDIT:
And how do tou know for aure its the new formulation. They said they would releas the new one at the designated date but deplete old stock as well. And the lable is supposed to be the same, maybe the certs on the back of the bottle ate different?
Just going by the label on the bottle, bottle says 75% more wear protection, Dexos2 , and recommended for DI engines.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@ BBB , Well you and me buddy are just gonna have to agree to disagree .
I hope you are right my friend , if you are then we will both enjoy a long life for our xsmn .

I dropped my pan , installed new filters & put on my extra capacity Mag-Hytec pan with a drain plug @ 47k . I then serviced it up with Redline C +ATF ..... 2,100 miles later I drained out just under 8 qts of the mixture of the Factory Fill & Redline , then I serviced it up again with Redline C+ just under 8qts and I plan to do this again next time I change my engine oil (approx 6k) which should be next spring for me .
Good luck Sir!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For anyone interested this is a link to my pan drop , filter install , Mag-Hytec pan install and replenishing the fluid with RL C+ATF.
WARNING ☆☆☆☆☆WARNING

Lots of pictures and narrative enjoy.

http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=1351576

Hope this helps someone out here !

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I mix whatever brands of 5-20 I have available to total 7 quarts. Have used up to 4 different brands in one oil change. 232xxx and doesn't use a single drop of oil in 6000 miles.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For anyone interested this is a link to my pan drop , filter install , Mag-Hytec pan install and replenishing the fluid with RL C+ATF.
WARNING ☆☆☆☆☆WARNING

Lots of pictures and narrative [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] enjoy.

http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=1351576

Hope this helps someone out here !

When you take you're vehicle to dealer for trans service do they just back flush it or do they change filters too? I know on the Dakota that I had I changed filter first time, took it to dealer second time for flush and finally got them convinced to change filter too. The reason I'm asking is my wife's caravan don't have dipstick, I can get aftermarket but then you have to match trans temp to fluid level. The ones that I've read about that have done it sounds kinda a rinky dink way of doing it. Haven't investigated the 8 speed yet but I'm assuming it's pretty much the same way.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When you take you're vehicle to dealer for trans service do they just back flush it or do they change filters too? I know on the Dakota that I had I changed filter first time, took it to dealer second time for flush and finally got them convinced to change filter too. The reason I'm asking is my wife's caravan don't have dipstick, I can get aftermarket but then you have to match trans temp to fluid level. The ones that I've read about that have done it sounds kinda a rinky dink way of doing it. Haven't investigated the 8 speed yet but I'm assuming it's pretty much the same way.

Not sure as I only use the dealer for recalls ....
I would think they would do what you ask and charge you handsomely.

I've heard of issues after a flush by the dealer ...this is why I chose to do my own fluid replacement over a few k miles .

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I can tell you guys I am pretty impressed with this transmission fluid at 30k miles and 7 years of use. Literally bright pink with no dirt when checked from the tube. I have a full change of Redline and I do feel like changing it, at the same time I feel this factory fill has a lot more life in it. Maybe the 6 speed is better then we think, or the fact I am in tow haul 24/7 is making the fluid work less, don't really know I just know when I checked the wife's rav 4 that fluid was dirty at the same mileage. I would bet this fluid can go 100k miles.

The 6 speed is pretty solid assuming you do not abuse it by kicking it down too often as think those hard downshifts kill it. I am due to change mine I have all the stuff just haven’t had time.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 6 speed is pretty solid assuming you do not abuse it by kicking it down too often as think those hard downshifts kill it. I am due to change mine I have all the stuff just haven’t had time.
Lots of 545RFEs out there with 150k+ on them and like you said the only thing that really kills them is forced full throttle downshifts when in either overdrive gear. The 545/65RFE gets a lot of hate but I personally like it and how serviceable it is.

ATF+4 is a very stout fluid and could potentially be a lifetime fluid if all you did was highway miles and the trans temps were kept low. The ATF+4 spec calls for a full synthetic base and does very well over a wide temperature range.

Even so I still feel better changing it out at 30 to 50k intervals

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
FYI for those in the upper midwest, Farm & Fleet currently has Citgo Fully Synthetic oil on sale for $2.35/qt with rebate.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
There is the fact I'm getting a hard shift in the transfer case as well, and I have driven in tow haul 24/7 because the transmission bogs and shutters. I wonder of Redline will help either or both of those. I will try and capture the sounds, but I kinda doubt I will be able to.