Votes: 399 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 993 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 661 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm going to show my ignorance here but I'm gonna ask it anyways. Did the older roller lifters have bushing type bearings or have they always been needle bearings?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

They all have the needle brg. rollers.
What makes this Hemi tick thing so confusing is there are many sources that cause a similar noise/tick.
Personally I am convinced the "normal" Hemi tick, the tick that is there from new or almost new and it is made better or goes away with different oil, has nothing to do with the cam/lifter failure that also causes a tick.
Also I think the "normal" Hemi tick is not detrimental or a sign your going to have a failure.
The hard part is telling the difference between a lifter/cam failing and the "normal" tick.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry to break up the fun!
Promised a couple pics when I brought her home.
Never thought we would end up with this one! But she has every option I went after.
Thought we would end up with a White/Chrome or Silver/Chrome not Delmonico Red Pearl/Chrome.

First addition will be a set of step up bars.
Then FuMoto Valve / Then block heater cord
Congrats on your new truck SyN. That thing is loaded and supper nice ! I love the color as well .
I didn't see cargo cam option ?? If you ever want to add one just send me a PM and I'll get you in contact with the forum expert on the cargo cam and or front cam ...
For anyone else interested just contact M2mods a vendor here ...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not that they are the authority, but according to www.moparpartsgiant.com the non-mds lifters are the same. See below.

2014 Ram 1500 8 Cyl 5.7L HEMI MDS VVT; 8-Speed Automatic Transmission
- Mopar Part No.: 53021572AF TAPPET-HYDRAULIC ROLLER

2014 Ram 2500 8 Cyl 6.4L Mid Duty HEMI MDS; 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
- Mopar Part No.: 53021572AF TAPPET-HYDRAULIC ROLLER

I've not heard of any bad lifters, wiped cam lobes, bent push rods, etc., on the 6.4L. Not saying it hasn't happened, but I haven't seen anyone report it happening. The heads, cam, valves, and mds lifters are different between the two. Since the 6.4 calls for a 40 weight oil, I'm betting the oil journals are a bit larger diameter, which allows better [more] flow and possibly contributes to there being fewer valve train issues.

For the record, my 6.4 is at 32k and is/always has been silky smooth. Other than FF, it's never had anything but Amsoil SS 0W-40 in it. Running new formula in it now, no differences noted.
Thanks for looking that up. From the looks of that part number it's on its 5th revision

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Never thought we would end up with this one! But she has every option I went after.
Thought we would end up with a White/Chrome or Silver/Chrome not Delmonico Red Pearl/Chrome.

Beautiful truck SyN!!! Love the color and options! The Big Horn package is nice because you can get 95% of the options of a Laramie without paying for a Laramie.

How are you liking the Cummins as opposed to the Hemi? 6 speed vs 8 speed?

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Thanks for looking that up. From the looks of that part number it's on its 5th revision
Yeah, I noticed that too. I didn't take the time to look up any other years. Parts catalogs for '16-'17 MY 6.4s are spotty at best. Possibly further revisions in newer MYs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
RLK: Yes I have Both cameras!
It is perfect addition for hooking up to the camper.

68RFE ~ So far I like it.
She likes to cruise @ 85mph.
Tons of power. (Very Smooth)
I will be taking this silencer piece that’s in the intake tube upstream from the turbo out it’s a big piece of plastic with a foam piece wrapped around it to quiet the turbo.

I can only imagine driving one of these with everything deleted with a mild tune. Talk about a monster

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's awesome ! I'll be installing the cargo cam probably next summer because I haul just as often as I tow .
Can you turn on your cargo cam while at hwy speeds ?

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
That's awesome ! I'll be installing the cargo cam probably next summer because I haul just as often as I tow .
Can you turn on your cargo cam while at hwy speeds ?

Yep, you can turn either cam on but they only stay on for around 10 seconds at anything over 5 mph.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Sweet truck @Syn! Is it a '17 or '18 model? I didn't see it on the pic of the sticker.

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
2017~ Fowler Dodge here in OK wanted to sell the 17s a bit more then 18 model.
Shout out to Mr Steven Dowdy~~>With hard work he made it happen!
Didn’t get the $$$ we expected out of our 14. But they dropped the OTD price of the 17 too make up a lot of the difference.
There were more incentives/rebates on the 18. They just wanted to get rid of their 17 models more.

It is amazing how fast the resale value drops on the Hemi trucks.

We could’ve got more out of our 2014 by selling it out right.
But after looking around town there were hundreds of nice trucks for sale and that might take a month or two months.
I have been waiting almost 8 months for this New 6.7L CTD it was time.

Received a deal with tires for life & 2 years of oil changes which averages out to be about 4 OCIs. They want me to extend my OCI to 10K miles. I can see that with a non~EGR / DEF diesel but not with a new 6.7L CTD.
Still have a lot of research to do with this new Cummins.

I’ll be honest: This DEF stuff scares the He!! Out of me.
Need to find a good supplier in my local area~~Fresh Product

Not to fond of these Firestone Transforce.

Anyway: I won’t interrupt your thread again. Unless with a comment or question on oil/filters.

Can’t wait for her first experience in the Snow/Ice.
No more BW44~44! One less thing to think about.
I will wait for next spring to drain the FF in both the 68RFE / Rearend & installing PML covers on both. RL will be used in both.
Might even do the Transfer Case while I am under there.
Going to convert power steering to RL C+ as well.

This is my Last Truck!
It will take me into retirement ~ Every mod will be done for a reason not just because. It will receive my upmost attention.
Easy Service & Towing safely is my most important intentions.

Love the 10 speaker Alpine system & the Navigation.
I’m glad I held out for those 2.

Last edited:

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
The dealer I bought mine from is a "No Haggle" dealer, so they are pretty good to use for comparison, although you can haggle a bit. I was able to get about another $1k off their price.

There aren't any major changes between the years anyhow, other than I would love to have the new Android Auto/Apple Carplay-equipped head unit they put in the '18s. My wife's new car has it and using the nav with it is outstanding, because it throws it on the screen from your phone instead of the sd-based nonsense. Plus, you don't have to pay for nav, you just need any version of the 8.4 screen.

For trucks similarly equipped to yours right now, they are running about $8,100 off sticker for '17s and around $7,500 off sticker for the '18s. Thats in SC... is that similar to your region?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp

Oh that's the best color :favorites13:

Reactions: SyN

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Congrats Syn, plan on owning this one for longer? Have fun blacking it out, with nice colors like that it is not a matter of if but when do I black it out. How does she drive in comparison, back coil springs?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

68RFE ~ So far I like it.
She likes to cruise @ 85mph.
Tons of power. (Very Smooth)
I will be taking this silencer piece that’s in the intake tube upstream from the turbo out it’s a big piece of plastic with a foam piece wrapped around it to quiet the turbo.

I can only imagine driving one of these with everything deleted with a mild tune. Talk about a monster
If you're going to get into tuning that truck, check out Double R Diesel. Really good guy and will he be up front with you about what will be detrimental to longevity and what won't.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
No black out. Love the Crimson & Chrome.

Now I have no intentions of deleting anything unless it just totally disables this truck a couple times.
Now after my hundred thousand mile warranty is up yes everything will come off.
The thing is my engine will just be barely broken in by that time. (Can’t Wait).

Ride is a bit firm due to the Bilstein shocks @ all 4 corners. Handling is very good.
Will be interesting to see and feel how the truck handles when these Firestone tires are done and I put on a little bit wider ~ lower profile all-terrain.
Don’t know depending on how these Firestones handle the snow/ice and towing I might stick with their offer of tires for life.

My salesman also told me his dealership does not have a issue with owners deleting the DEF an EGR systems as long as there are never any issues or malfunctions with in the engine itself..
If they can actually go in and prove the removal of these two systems caused the mechanical issue the warranty would be void.
Now I did not get that in writing so I am taking that little phrase with a grain of salt. But before I did any deleting I would call him and have him fax or email me a statement in writing stating that.

But with all that said this morning driving the truck home only 120 some miles I know and I get the gut feeling I made the right and perfect choice.

Need to do some looking and shopping for some steps to help this old body get in and out.

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Interesting: ALL the transfer cases within my 2017 owners manual recommend BW44~44 Mopar fluid.

Also: I have always seen ads and read that Cummins has endorsed Valvoline for their premier oil.
My owners manual states they recommend Shell Rotella & Rimula when the 5W~40 viscosity is used.
I just now read FCA also recommends Shell oils in the 15W40 viscosity as well.

Just found that interesting!

Just called Steven: He told me their customers that want the synthetic oil change (5W~40) receive Shell T6 5W~40.

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Always ran Rotella 15w40 in my 07 Cummins and never had a problem. OCI at 7 to 8k and changed the fuel filter every other time.

Wsnt a huge improvement get the transmission tuned by Dragon Diesel, night and day and well worth the 3 bills he charges.

Last edited: