Votes: 399 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 661 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like I’m going to be a redline 5w-30 member soon. Just ordered 7 quarts with an rp 20-820 filter and a quick drain oil plug. Tried to order a filter relocate but the 22x1.5 to 22x1.5 relocate kits are all backordered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Zmax has always seemed like snake oil to me. Not saying it's a bad product, I've just never seen anything that points to it being good or bad...

Reactions: SyN

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Congrats on the new truck Syn. Beautiful color. My 2017 Limited is also Delmonico Red with chrome bumpers. Never thought I'd like a red truck, but it's awesome.

I was a long time Ram diesel owner before moving to my current 1500. My last diesel, was a 2011 3500 SRW. No longer needed the towing power of the diesel, hence the 1500.
In both of my diesels (1995 2500 and the 2011), I ran Schaeffers 15w-40. In the 95, that viscosity was highly recommended and is what I ran. In the winter, I ran Schaeffers 5W-40 in the 2011. Starting was easier in very cold weather with the 5W-40.
Schaeffers can be hard to get, but I've found that contacting and working with a local rep, you can get very good pricing.
There are a lot of other very good diesel oils out there as well. I just settled on Schaeffers. I did run Redline 15w-40 diesel oil for a year or two in my 95. At the time I was getting it from a local race shop who discounted it for me making it slightly less expensive than Amsoil. Unfortunately, tho they are still in business, their discounts on Redline are history.

I used Fleetguard Stratopore filters exclusively. Can get them from Geno's, as well as the small micron fuel filters, also Fleetguard. I replaced the fuel filter on my 2011 every 15K miles which was earlier than the recommended interval simply because diesel quality varies so much. On a side note, if the on-engine fuel filter cannister on yours is the same as on my 2011, although Geno's sells a 29mm 6-pt socket that "fits" the hex on the fuel filter cover, it fits quite loosely, and is for a 3/8 ratchet/extension. An 1 1/8" 6-pt socket, 1/2" drive fits it more snugly and the 1/2" drive gives you more torque.

One note I recall from reading the Turbo Diesel Register on the newer (2013+) diesel Rams, is oil filter access. Ram added a chassis cross member brace on those newer trucks which is right under the oil filter area. On my 2011 removing the oil filter was easy from underneath with a fluted filter cup and a ratchet and long extension. Not possible on the newer trucks. Either will have to try thru the passenger side wheel well (tricky), or by removing all the intake ducting from the airbox to the turbo, thereby freeing access to it from the top.

As you accumulate the miles on your truck, pay attention to your front ball joints. The Cummins engine weighs over 1100 pounds and those ball joints will wear more quickly than those on a lighter 1500, or even a gas 2500. I replaced them on both of my diesels (I've got the press and appropriate cups) and it's a bit of a PITA.

Sorry for the long post. Hope some of the information is helpful. Best of luck with your new Ram!

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
There are so many good all-terrain tire options out there now it is ridiculous.. IMO, there is no excuse to use those Firestones. Tried convincing my father of this but he thinks they’re good. I let it go

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
What’s everybody’s thoughts on ZMAX micro lubricant? (Products)

Some of you might look into!
$2 Per Quart Rebate Offer | United States

I cant find it now but i remember reading a post on god knows what forum that had a VOA. It was not good. But i do remember that the MSDS showed somthing like 99% mineral oil.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Tsielski: Thank You!
I have spent hours on you tube watching hundreds of videos on Oil Changes / Fuel Filter & Water separator changes. Over the last 8 months
I’ve got most of the tools created for easy removal & replacement. Thanks to Amazon!

I thank you for your long well thought out post——>Full of valuable info.
I will take it all in & even record some of it on paper.

Thanks again.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Oil related? lol

Got myself alittle work for next weekend, just going to hit problem areas for right now.
I have to get my shop finished to have a place to do the complete truck so I am not outside in the wind and cold.

Sucks to wait on people to show to do there job so you can finish your part, been waiting on my electrician for 3 weeks now.:sleepy10:

Attachments

• 20171119_092629.jpg
    20171119_092629.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 22

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are so many good all-terrain tire options out there now it is ridiculous.. IMO, there is no excuse to use those Firestones. Tried convincing my father of this but he thinks they’re good. I let it go

I've been using Firestone tires for over 40 years. I've never had one to separate or steel belts to slip. With that in mind I've had Goodyear Wranglers and Goodyear eagles to split the side walls and wear out real quick. Most of the time they don't even get close to the mileage they claim before they need replacing.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tires to me are some sort of enigma. Ive spent extra to get the exact same OEM tire that lasted 40K, only to have the new set last 15K.

Ive bought cheap (Pep Boys house brand) that lasted 65K on that exact same car.

Ive bought expensive (Michelin) that are really nice for about 15K miles, then they wear like rocks....but drive like them too!

The only set of tires I put on my Frontier were Hankook ATs that lots of people hate....yet they are still going after 30K miles and I loved them.

I believe everyone's different personal experiences even with the same tires, but I can never figure out why the experiences vary so widely. Maybe same tire produced at different factory/date?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like tire quality control isn't consistent across most tire manufacturers

Reactions: U&A

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Tsielski: Thank You!
I have spent hours on you tube watching hundreds of videos on Oil Changes / Fuel Filter & Water separator changes. Over the last 8 months
I’ve got most of the tools created for easy removal & replacement. Thanks to Amazon!

I thank you for your long well thought out post——>Full of valuable info.
I will take it all in & even record some of it on paper.

If you haven't joined tdr, time to do it. Pretty much mandatory if you own a Cummins.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I've been using Firestone tires for over 40 years. I've never had one to separate or steel belts to slip. With that in mind I've had Goodyear Wranglers and Goodyear eagles to split the side walls and wear out real quick. Most of the time they don't even get close to the mileage they claim before they need replacing.

I think the majority of use are on the same page as you in regards to goodyear. The only tires they make that I would consider is the MTR with kevkar.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like I’m going to be a redline 5w-30 member soon. Just ordered 7 quarts with an rp 20-820 filter and a quick drain oil plug. Tried to order a filter relocate but the 22x1.5 to 22x1.5 relocate kits are all backordered

Fantastic choice Sir !!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
If you haven't joined tdr, time to do it. Pretty much mandatory if you own a Cummins.

Done Did! Will do way more reading then posting.

This site unfortunately has little diesel interest/talk

Last edited:

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The TDR is a fantastic resource. I had been a member since I bought my 95 and only let it lapse since leaving the diesel world with my 1500. I can't count the number of times over the years, I ran into an issue with one of my trucks, posted a question on the TDR and got numerous helpful suggestions, to include offers of actual help. Great bunch of folks over there.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I agree. I know that they have made the cats WAY more restrictive and able to be clogged but it seems the ZDDP and cat converter issue.... is a non issue.

But i DO think they are thinking long term as the matirials in cats are not good fro the environment if i remember correctly so they wany you to never replace it.

Even if you did replace it the cat wouldn't go to the landfill. Just go on ebay and enter " scrap catalytic converter" they get from $40 to a few hundred for them.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even if you did replace it the cat wouldn't go to the landfill. Just go on ebay and enter " scrap catalytic converter" they get from $40 to a few hundred for them.
I thought they stripped them for the titanium or some other high dollar metal that was in them.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yeah I sold all the exhaust filters off my 07 Cummins for $900 bucks so they are worth some money.