Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have read a few articles where they state the roller cam does not need as much Zinc as a regular tappet lift...

750-825ppm seems to be sufficient for the roller lifter cams.. (No actual data or proof) just a few articles of reading...

After looking at most of the Pennzoil line... Looks like anything below the 875ppm is safe...I myself feel anything @ 1k or below is safe... I'm sure not all Cats are created equal so many variations can contribute to issues...(my opinion only)...

Right now I am not too concerned with the Zinc ppm while using PU! I am focused on the Moly PPM...The extra MoS2 will plate the cam & rollers for extra wear protection...

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
And the thing is when I had my Durango I bought it used and the oil changes had been mopar dealer ones which at the time Mobil was the oil used as "Mopar" I guess that scares me away a little especially with Mobil not officially meeting the spec.

Reactions: SyN

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Every oil has a minimum of 700ppm zinc, and I highly doubt going up to 900 would be anything but a benefit, but that would be just an opinion as I admit I never seen any study. One thing we as Hemi owners need to collectively decide is do we have special need engines similar to flat tappet, or do we not have special need engines. Well, from what I've read with lifter issues, and most importantly almost every UOA that shows heavy wear in hemi engines, I say we definitely have special need engines and the special need would be additives that help with metal to metal wear, IE zinc and Moly. Look nat the other UOA on this thread, man I'm jealous almost no wear at all.

I'd rather replace a cat then a smoothed cam or a collapsed lifter that broke a rocker or anything internal. But when the average zinc was way over even 900ppm like it used to be, I never heard much of gummed up cats. Good news there is an oil available for all of us, they make heavy zinc and Moly oils like Redline, and oils that have no Moly and low zinc like Valvoline, and cheap conventional oil that will have impurities still present but will save you money at time of purchase. There is no right answer, just a cool selection for anyone's wants and needs.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My God Burla, it's football Sunday and all I've thought about is the oil change I'm doing next Saturday. See what you have created?????

Glad to see my OCD is shared amongst good people. You too Syn!!

derag2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
This was and oils response to asking about the specs.

None of the major US manufacturer have a list of “certified” producers, relying instead on the API and SAE to establish *guidelines for oil quality. We do meet all described guidelines. *
Thank you for contacting us. If you have further comments or concerns, please contact us again.
Byron Selbrede
Technical Services
AMSOIL INC.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This was and oils response to asking about the specs.

None of the major US manufacturer have a list of “certified” producers, relying instead on the API and SAE to establish *guidelines for oil quality. We do meet all described guidelines. *
Thank you for contacting us. If you have further comments or concerns, please contact us again.
Byron Selbrede
Technical Services
AMSOIL INC.

they haven't checked with Chrysler i guess, states in my OM, Pennzoil or Shell as preferred lubricants. Not to say these are better or worse than other brands but they are named.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That isn't necessarily true what Amsoil said there but kinda, he omitted the use of specs that go beyond API and SAE. He also didn't address some other then engine oils like tranny fluid do have entire lists of recommended. But after saying all of that, the top tier guys like Amsoil make an oil that exceeds all of the other oils in performance. To make a spec that PUP would satisfy that Amsoil SS wouldn't, would be damn near impossible and even if you could, it wouldn't be a threat to your engine to use the Amsoil SS. Back to warranty issues, the manufacturer has to prove the oil you used damaged the engine, not that the oil doesn't meet what they recommend. The cost to prove that and go to court, is far less then replacing an engine. If your engine ever fails do not say anything to them but fix it. Do not say what oil you use or how often you changed the oil or whatever. Let them deny all on their own if they want to, then hire a lemon lawyer.

The second you ever sue a manufacturer, they settle in a day, and yes I speak from experience. GM settled my lawsuit for 13k in a day, only because they refused to work on my Chevy after failing to fix a minor issue 4 times. I was so pissed when they offered me 10k I said no I wanna go to court (my lawyer almost strangled me), and in two minutes they came back with 13k. It was a crossmember bolt they had a tsb on. They know if they go to a Judge, they will not only loose what it cost for the lawyer but the judgement as well. I got 13k for a suspension squeak because they didn't think I had the balls to sue over it. Even my lawyer said that he will take the case but it was kinda thin, lol. That was the sweetest check I ever cashed, and that lawyer made an easy 3g's. Do not fear them but let them fear you because they are in the wrong if they tell you cannot use top shelf oil.

Just make sure if you ever sue name the manu not just the dealer, the lawyer will handle it. My lawyer said ever since Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act dealers are afraid of court. Under my warranty they had to fix that bolt, they had no right to not fix it.

Last edited:

derag2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I only asked Amsoil about 5w30 and the 0w_40 so I didn't mention any other oils or fluids..... I'm not worried about anything.. I was just trying to some info for someone else that questioned it.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Anti drain back valve wrong

Does this look normal? I've never seen a filter where the holes are not completely covered by the anti drain back valve. Weird

image_zpsdplo0cqa.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Not Normal.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Wow, I thought you were going to say Fram or something. That is embarrassing, good catch that could have been a real problem with a Hemi. It is bad enough when we get oil there fast, and that is unacceptable IMO. Last time I ever recommend that, I'd stick with Royal Purple they are cheaper anyway.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Wow, I thought you were going to say Fram or something. That is embarrassing, good catch that could have been a real problem with a Hemi. It is bad enough when we get oil there fast, and that is unacceptable IMO. Last time I ever recommend that, I'd stick with Royal Purple they are cheaper anyway.

I know. I'm really disappointed with Amsoil QC about this. Off to buy an RP!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You should email them and see what response they give, post it up when you get it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye