Votes: 399 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 661 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well I guess it's ok. The Royal Purple is exactly the same design.

image_zps0td0kwxy.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Neither my royal purple or puroilator are like that, and I have 4 filters total. I don't know what is going on with that. I wonder if AE filters are made at the same place Champion labs and if they have been poutting these out for a long time. I still say that isn't right, unless there is a redesign that allows something other then that rubber ring to hold the oil in the line.

I think you uncovered a massive defect across a lot of brands unless I hear a good excuse for that. Same ZZ on the face plate, I think it was made at the same place. I couldn't get a damn clear pic, but you can see none of the older filters have a gap. Hard to see but my RP oil filters have the same ZZ on the face plate.

Time for some research, like I said good catch. I googled "champion labs oil filter drainback valve" and 100's of pics all look like mine, unless they have no drainback valve. I still say that aint normal. Either way Amsoil is forgiven, it looks like a Champion labs cluster fawk.

22236457490_b60c9a70ce_z.jpg

Last edited:

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Neither my royal purple or puroilator are like that, and I have 4 filters total. I don't know what is going on with that. I wonder if AE filters are made at the same place Champion labs and if they have been poutting these out for a long time. I still say that isn't right, unless there is a redesign that allows something other then that rubber ring to hold the oil in the line.

I think you uncovered a massive defect across a lot of brands unless I hear a good excuse for that. Same ZZ on the face plate, I think it was made at the same place. I couldn't get a damn clear pic, but you can see none of the older filters have a gap. Hard to see but my RP oil filters have the same ZZ on the face plate.

Time for some research, like I said good catch. I googled "champion labs oil filter drainback valve" and 100's of pics all look like mine, unless they have no drainback valve. I still say that aint normal. Either way Amsoil is forgiven, it looks like a Champion labs cluster fawk.

22236457490_b60c9a70ce_z.jpg

You can see inside the RP that the entire valve is in there, just not sure if it will work. I spoke with Amsoil and they said they would get back to me. Still waiting.....

TheFactor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well going to pick up some oil and new filter for my 15 Ram with 2600 miles for its first oil change and I'm on the fence as far as Red Line or RP lol .
Probably decide when I get there although I'm going with a RP filter

TheFactor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh what type of oil filter wrenches are you guys using the caps that fit on the end of the filter or the traditional loop type on the 15 ram 4x4 hemi's ?
Was looking at it and looks pretty tight under there .

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the strap kind and I use a piece of rubber to grip it better. Not the easiest filter to get to but definitely not the worst...

TheFactor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the strap kind and I use a piece of rubber to grip it better. Not the easiest filter to get to but definitely not the worst...

Thanks ! Yeah I've seen worse lol but it does look tight but at least you can see it . These hemi's need 7 quarts plus what ever the filter holds if I remember correctly from the owners manual ?
Good idea with the piece of rubber , I know these factory filters the first time are on there pretty good .

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks ! Yeah I've seen worse lol but it does look tight but at least you can see it . These hemi's need 7 quarts plus what ever the filter holds if I remember correctly from the owners manual ?
Yeah 7 quarts.

TheFactor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5-20 or 5-30 weight ?
What's the best to run on first oil change .

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Oh what type of oil filter wrenches are you guys using the caps that fit on the end of the filter or the traditional loop type on the 15 ram 4x4 hemi's ?
Was looking at it and looks pretty tight under there .

You only need to do it once, and you can just hand tighten after that. Really no need to cinch it down really tight, I've never had one come loose and do it by hand every time, on and off.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So here's the Fram Ultra I took off the truck after 5k. I will cut it open and take some pics. The holes on this are huge compared to the Amsoil and the RP
image_zpsbvt5btaw.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

TheFactor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You only need to do it once, and you can just hand tighten after that. Really no need to cinch it down really tight, I've never had one come loose and do it by hand every time, on and off.

Thanks man !

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, I only hand tighten mine, and I always back it off a smidge when I tighten it. I would look at the RP filter before buying it, make sure the purple silicone fills all the gaps in the holes.

TheFactor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I only hand tighten mine, and I always back it off a smidge when I tighten it. I would look at the RP filter before buying it, make sure the purple silicone fills all the gaps in the holes.

Thanks I'll check it out . I'm heading out to the garage in a few to start my first oil change . Haven't done one In years but I want to give my ram some extra love . Plus I can slide under this one pretty easy although the oil filter looks like it'll be fun and the factory always torques them on with gorilla strength .

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Use a quart plastic bag when you start to see the oil drip over the filter, then put the bag off and twist the filter off, and hold it in place for a minute. Catches almost all of the oil.

TheFactor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Use a quart plastic bag when you start to see the oil drip over the filter, then put the bag off and twist the filter off, and hold it in place for a minute. Catches almost all of the oil.
Cool thanks great idea just got one ready to go . Did you mean to slide the bag over the filter because of angle of the filter when removing it so it doesn't pour everywhere ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 23

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yes, the oil will spill over if you don't prepare, just holding the filter even wont cut it. Twist filter until you see it go over sides, then cover with any bag. I personally say opt for 5w30, but there is a 5 percentish chance you through an oil code, in which case you would need to switch back to 5w20. The risk is worth it, 25% thicker visc means your metal to metal surfaces with enjoy more film strength. No downside especially since you will be using high flow Royal Purple filters.