Votes: 396 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 992 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 660 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Ignore that Guy!
He is nothing but a troublemaker & pot stirrer!

He only has the IQ level to post Stupid $hit!
That pertains Nothing to this thread!

Last edited:
Reactions: U&A

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone figured out what the trophy points are?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Ignore that Guy!
He is nothing but a troublemaker & pot stirrer!

He only has the IQ level to post Stupid $hit!
That pertains Nothing to this thread!

Ouch. That hurt a little

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@ CunningStunt ,

I can't believe no one has responded to your post , so I'll try to answer your questions ....but first I have a question for you Sir ...

You said you've had 4ea oil changes and you are approching 100,000 miles ...??

Did you purchase this truck new or used ?

If new ....what oil have you been using with such HIGH oil change intervals ???

If used , how many miles on the engine when you purchased ?

NowI'll try to answer your questions ...[emoji16]

First off a ticking noise is NOT normal unless you are hearing the fuel injectors ...you may be hearing an exhaust leak ??? Many here and abroad have had broken exhaust manifold bolts ...

IMHO ....you should not be using a 20wt oil in your hemi 5.7L 395 HP Engine , a 20wt oil is for a 4cylinder engine ....the 20 wt oil is an ignorant government fuel saving standard impossed on vehicle manufacturers ( has nothing to do with protection for your engine )

I'm the guy who is running a 50/50 mix of Redline 10W & 5W DASH - 30 OIL ....this is for higher Molybdenum , Zinc and Phophorus ppms in these two oils , and the 10W I believe has the higher Molybdenum, zinc & phophorus.... I'll be doing a UOA aka Used Oil Analysis soon to verify these claims I've read on the 10W Redline .
I and many others believe the higher ppm s of Molybdenum , phophorus and zinc is the best mixture for the 5.7L hemi ....modern oil regulations ( cafe ) have lower phophorus & zinc )

As for the type of RP Filter we are using :::
RP 10-48
Or
RP 20-820

The 20-820 is the larger of the two and fits just fine on the 2013 - 2018 Ram trucks .

Hope this helps !!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hey, gonna do oil change this weekend. This thread is HUGE and reading all the info makes me anxious about what to run.

I have been running standard synthetic 5w20 whatever name brand my local road mart had. I have had 4 oil changes, no loud noises/knock other than the typical light tic I have come to understand as "normal"

I am approaching 100k miles and have been looking into the redline but wanted to know yalls thoughts? my hemi does tic lightly more at ignition and quiets down as she warms up.

I was reading that someone did 50/50 10w30/5w30. Whats the advantage? Also what model RP filter are yall using?

Down in Alabama you might want to run 10w30 redline, it is actually a little thinner at operating temps then 5w30 because they use a different base oil. Another advantage is no Vii's, which means your oil will not shear down. I'm trying 10w30 in mine next change in Cali.

For most guys I say run costco deal m1 5w30 or buy up on PUP when you can get it on sale. However, anyone having a tick they may want to at least try redline. It has an amazing success rate at quieting hemi's, I can speak for everyone and say it has worked so good all of us couldn't have predicted that. I'm not sure why you are nervous, but one play you might make is trying one of the 5w30's I said or another brand 5w30 to see if that quiets it to a place that is good for you. The science is good that 5w30 can quiet an engine over 5w20. Or I would go 10w30 redline.

But like RLK said, Royal Purple/ Amsoil filters are well worth the effort it takes to get them, especially if you are using redline. They outlast any oil, and most guys running redline run it for a long OCI. Read the filter thread in my sig, I feel that thread is one of the most informative threads around.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t use the middle window much at all so can’t attest for the rubbing ... it was pretty easy putting on with the wet application def should use two people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I received my order of Redline Motor oil and enough Redline C+ATF to do another xsmn pan drain today from Nick@gotexhaust ( a member and vendor here ) ....I'll say this about Nick , he has Fantastic prices , FREE SHIPPING and it's packaged very VERY well !!!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been using Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic in my truck since I got it. Anyone else here running that?
Lots of folks using the PP In their hemi , a good oil imo , if you prefer PENNZOIL I'd recommend PUP PENNZOIL Ultra Platinum ..imo the best PENNZOIL has to offer and it's a Great oil [emoji106][emoji106]

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I received my order of Redline Motor oil and enough Redline C+ATF to do another xsmn pan drain today from Nick@gotexhaust ( a member and vendor here ) ....I'll say this about Nick , he has Fantastic prices , FREE SHIPPING and it's packaged very VERY well !!!

Thank you Ronnie!!!!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I've been using Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic in my truck since I got it. Anyone else here running that?

good choice if it aint broke don't fix it. If you get the tick/knock, come back and look at other options. Your choice produces some of the lowest wear numbers a round, and Pennzoil synthetic seams to have the most ram users even though m1 has so much more of an distribution advantage,

BIG RED HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L/392CI
good choice if it aint broke don't fix it. If you get the tick/knock, come back and look at other options. Your choice produces some of the lowest wear numbers a round, and Pennzoil synthetic seams to have the most ram users even though m1 has so much more of an distribution advantage,

My engine does have some engine chatter at start up, but only lasts about a minute. I was told that's a Hemi thing.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
ok, it is like every time, lol. No offense, we never get the entire story until we pry, just kinda funny. Yes we need to know that. Read this.

Moly pronounced ma lib de num, is what oil manu's use to protect engine from dry starts.

Can you explain this chatter? Can you upload a youtube audio?

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's the reason I left Pennzoil, Amsoil was better, right now I'm running Mobil1 and it's performing really well so far, no startup noise. I'm really interested to see how it does in a couple thousand miles.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
According to mobil's website mobil1 has 900 ppm of zinc, no mention of moly but by the way it's acting I would assume there's some in there. So far I haven't been able to find any testing results of the Gen2 Mobil1.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly Im pretty surprised by how quiet my engine is now with just PYB. Granted, it was only changed 4 days ago, but even in the cold-ish weather we've had the past couple days, startups and idle seem quieter than the factory fill was with 2K miles on it. I know the real difference will be once the PYB has some mileage on it, but so far I dont mind having it at least hopefully until the spring when I will change it out for something full synthetic.

If I go with PUP I think I will take Burlas advice and use a quart or three of PUP 0W-40....BTW, is that the SRT version you are referring to, with the better additive pack? I didnt think the Euro 0W-40 was as good.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly Im pretty surprised by how quiet my engine is now with just PYB. Granted, it was only changed 4 days ago, but even in the cold-ish weather we've had the past couple days, startups and idle seem quieter than the factory fill was with 2K miles on it. I know the real difference will be once the PYB has some mileage on it, but so far I dont mind having it at least hopefully until the spring when I will change it out for something full synthetic.

If I go with PUP I think I will take Burlas advice and use a quart or three of PUP 0W-40....BTW, is that the SRT version you are referring to, with the better additive pack? I didnt think the Euro 0W-40 was as good.
Yeah, it's the srt version their talking about, but in all honesty if it was me and I was going to order oil again I'd just go ahead and order redline. PUP is in-stock for awhile then out of stock for awhile and prices are all over the place, it's like let's make a deal. Redline is much more readily available from Nick thru the forum or just about any speed shop, or if all else fails you can order straight from Redline.