Votes: 399 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 661 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Just don't be that RETARD behind the desk that everyone wants to Punch in the throat ... You know the guy I'm talking about .

Drones are up and coming !
I use my buddies drone with a Go -Pro to scout potential hunting properties. ...works great .

You have much potential , but imo more potential to be an absolute ASS ....Pun kinda intended ... If you end up behind a desk or a laptop. You Sir will have ZERO friends in the workplace ..;however , if you stick to the floor and mentor idiots like me with just the right attitude ( tough , but possible) you Sir could be a difference maker ...[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ha! Nope. I will not take a desk job. That's what caused me to retire at 23-ish instead of going the full 30 yrs. That, and the politics. Meetings and e-mails are not for me.

The more I think about it, the more I want to do something on my own. I don't need the insurance and I already have decent investments. It's a scary proposition with kids going to college for the next 12 years or so, but I think I would be happier in the long run.

The drone thing is definitely a viable option. I got my commercial drone FAA license in VA, then my wife got orders here. I just don't see the sense in going through all that here and then moving again. Plus the taxes here are ridiculous. No thanks. Being in limbo sucks! So, for now school and house/job/business hunting are the priority.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You should do something on your own , when you're a billionaire just remember me for giving you sound advice [emoji16][emoji16][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
My generator (engine drive welder) has T6 5w40 in it with a shot of Redline ZDDP and MOS2.
Interesting choice of cocktails... why?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Because T6 does not have enough zddp for me and I thought id try mos2

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
And V-twin gas engines like the BriggsStratton and Kohler are hard on oil plus they are setup to run at a constant 3,200 RPM (give or take). I wanted to use up the last of my T6 but also start some moly plating and ZDDP “buildup”.

Its getting redline next OCI and from then on.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Power company called and said to prepare for “multiple days without power”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those days are always a learning experience. Our last outage was 3 days. Longest one for us so far. We learn something new every time. We have power outages 2-4 times a year. Generally for about 48 hours as we are at “the end of the line” as they say based on population in our area and we are far from the power source.

Let us know what your leaning experience is this time.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
saw that on the news Corey out west and thought of you. Stay safe brother. 350,000 or something w/o power.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I had just gotten to FL from Korea and closed on my house in '04 when Ivan hit. I had just gotten my household goods delivered and the next day I got a call from my new boss saying to get the hell out of dodge. "Go anywhere you want, as long as it's north... your gov travel card is turned on". I was stationed in AR before Korea and it wasn't too far, I still knew people there, and wasn't in the storm's path.

While in AR, I bought three Generac 6500s (and a ****load of batteries, candles, and cordless power tools) because I knew people in FL would need them. I sold two of the gens to coworkers for the price I paid when I got back. My house had roof damage, but could have been worse. I was set. Or so I thought. The storm had taken the bridge in Pensacola out, so we quickly ran out of gas! WTF... Since then, I have no less than 5-5gallon gas cans filled and I use them in order of age to keep them rotated. Obviously, I use Amsoil fuel stabilizer and I've not had a problem.

I did not have power for almost two weeks. It wasn't too bad because I was by myself and really didn't need power during the day except for the fridge, microwave, stove and water heater, so I'd run it for a couple hours and schedule when I open the fridge, cook/eat, and take showers accordingly.

Fast forward 8 years through a marriage and three kids later. My wife thought I was a "crazy prepper" until we were stationed at Minot and the city was devastated by flooding in '11. We were lucky our house was on high ground, but again, we were without power for over a week. Gas was also scarce because many stations were flooded. Guess who was thankful she was married to a "crazy prepper"? Haha, never a word since.

When we get to our "forever home", I will have a hard-wired whole-house backup generator fed by plumbed-in natural/lp gas. No doubt about it.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wouldn't solar power help with outages ?
I was kinda thinking the same thing but don't know about the expense. You'd have to have some kind of battery storage plus the solar panels, but once installed I would think minimal upkeep or expense.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Wouldn't solar power help with outages ?
Yes, it absolutely would. I have a small solar panel on my race trailer, but really just use it to maintain the battery. Depending on climate, I would think it could be a viable option. For instance, in Jersey, I don't worry about the summer as much as the winter. The sun is not real strong in the winter here, so I wouldn't confidently depend on solar so much. In the south though, it would be great for charging a battery array to keep lights and small appliances (and maybe a fridge) running at night. Many full-time campers do it. You would have to invest much more to make the system robust enough to sustain what a 5000+ watt generator could do in short term. I could be wrong, but I see solar as more of a long term solution. If you invest in a system to augment your household year-round, you wouldn't have to worry about it when the power goes out. But if you're looking for purely emergency backup, I think generators are still king.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I actually looked into solar backup before we got the generator because we live on a hill and get full sun 365 days per year. Yes it is possible but expensive. You need a battery system similar to what's on hybrid and electric cars. Then comes the maintenance of the battery system, place to put it, associated equipment, etc.
Plus you need equipment to filter the voltage so it is consistently 120V/240V which is a separate battery rack.

Needless to say that's why we bought a generator.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
generators are way better then solar.

we had a 40k solar system, but the batteries were like 10 grand and only lasted ten years if you are lucky, and every year become less efficient, plus you need a converter or inverter that also drains efficiency, and the panels themselves loose efficiency. Maybe some day they will figure it out, but it aint there yet. We opted to not use batteries and tie to grid.

Last edited:

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know Duke Power has several solar fields down here. Probably 30/40 acres. I have no idea how much they are actually augmenting the supply, but I would think you'd need a sizable solar panel/ solar bank to actually run a house. If I covered my 1 acre with a big solar panel then I wouldn't have to mow the yard. [emoji848]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
For those who add RL breakin additive.
Here is a bit of extra info.

16oz bottle 33.8 grams total of ZDDP
17K ppm 7.8 grams Phosphorus
20,500 ppm 9.4 grams Zinc
16.6 grams Sulfur

The info on the paper is basic dilution numbers.
Please ignore all my chicken scratch!

I couldn’t remember if this had been posted before by somebody else I didn’t feel like looking back through all the months of posts.

EDDC6CDE-B85E-4B46-AE90-C30AED19A962.jpeg

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Here is also a fairly fresh VOA from Lubegards Heavy Duty Engine Protectant.

F0C9B62E-0602-42B6-BD5E-193A7848AA88.jpeg

Might be a good additive for a hard working generator as well!