Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Believe it or not I have all the liqui Moly diesel additives in my amazon buttons. Along with RL diesel additives!

Even contemplated using their MoS2 or Ceratec!
So So many owners swear by Ceratec in Diesel engines!

I gave up on Schaeffers 9000 5W-40 Gal Jug Prices are all over the place.
Local new dealer Moved!

I think I found my go too after my first run of T6 5W-40.

https://www.hotshotsecret.com/shop/green-diamond-fleet-oil/

Green Diamond 5W-40!

I will wait till around the 25K mile mark before I think of adding any of the oil additives if I ever do!
But I am a diesel Fuel additive junky!

Last edited:

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I think the best solar systems are small homesteads that use for lights and tv's when you are talking depending on it.

I have a small panel with a small regulator, charging a marine battery hooked to a small inverter with an aquarium pump, pumping oxygen into a small pond. I lost the pictures to Photobucket, but it's been running for 3 years.

I thought the panels would last forever, it was the regulators and inverters and batteries that constantly wore out.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Believe it or not I have all the liqui Moly diesel additives in my amazon buttons. Along with RL diesel additives!

Even contemplated using their MoS2 or Ceratec!
So So many owners swear by Ceratec in Diesel engines!

I gave up on Schaeffers 9000 5W-40 Gal Jug Prices are all over the place.
Local new dealer Moved!

I think I found my go too after my first run of T6 5W-40.

https://www.hotshotsecret.com/shop/green-diamond-fleet-oil/

Green Diamond 5W-40!

I will wait till around the 25K mile mark before I think of adding any of the oil additives if I ever do!
But I am a diesel additive junky!

Wow! $25 for a gallon of group 4! Definitely worth a try and a UOA comparison!! Great find sir

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Wow! $25 for a gallon of group 4! Definitely worth a try and a UOA comparison!! Great find sir

Yup! I thought so as well.
Previously Blue Diamond: Very robust oil. Very strong TBN.
Hot Shot Secret bought them & according to Dax: They haven’t changed the formulations. Only thing they did was lower the price a tad bit.

Of course a UOA will follow.
Unfortunately it will take maybe a year before this will happen due to I do not drive my RAM very much.

It was basically a tossup between the Green Diamond & Rotella T6.
I honestly feel the green diamond has the better formulation.
We will see.

I would have really really would have liked to have stuck with Schaeffers oil 5W-40 for the life of my 6.7L but due to horrible availability and sporadic pricing it just doesn’t make logical sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: U&A

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Once Redline goes in the generator, with the high zinc phosphorus and moly, there is no need for any additive beside the calcium/tbn booster if I desire.... IMO.

Like this

https://products.liqui-moly.com/pro-line-tbn-booster.html

I honestly though really wonder:
Within the general population whom own portable generators whom actually use redline for lubrication?
I would bet a very very low number. Personally I would love to see a general consensus of 1 million people with the question: do you know the formulation of RL oil 10W-30 or 5W-30?
(We within these walls are a very rare Clan...outside these walls this Knowledge is far and few).

That’s the reason for me posting the VOA of that additive. I feel it would be a very strong addition for very low engine wear on a hard-working generator motor. (Added in the proper dosage!)

But I agree 100% with your comment I see no reason to add anything else with RL.
But is it the bench mark? According to the UOA reports I question that when it comes to lower wear #s.
As for quieting a noisy motor? (I give it the #1 Spot)!

My theory and research from portable generators is the best thing for long Jevity is keeping a robust fresh oil in the motor at all times. These engines when worked will shred a very robust oil fairly quickly.
(The heat is ridiculous)
I change mine every 15-20 hours. (With a HD 5W-40 Oil)
T6 = Turbo rated

Everybody has their own theories and thoughts. Yes of course I have mine.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Power came on early this morning so it was about 36 hours without power and probably 24 or so on the generator.

I used Amsoil fuel stabilizer and Quick Shot on the gas I had stored and my generator ran perfect on 2+ year old 10% ethanol gas. Went through about 10 gallons of gas in that time which is pretty damn good considering it was running the whole house.

Like @U&A said its a learning experience and being this is the first time I've had to use the generator, this was a good one for me.

I always write the date on my gas cans so I know how old it is. However next time, I will have my gas cans lined up in order from oldest to newest ready to go before a storm so I'm not rooting through cans with a flashlight in the dark trying to figure out which is the oldest.

I need a better funnel to fill it up without making a mess when it's windy.

Also need a way of knowing the power has come back on besides looking at the neighbors to see if their lights are on.

So any of you guys that have some tips for any of these?

Forgot that I had put Amsoil Small Engine Oil 10w30 in the generator last fall and not Redline. I'll likely change the oil soon anyway since this oil has 24 hours on it now and I had planned on changing the oil every time it's used for an extended period.

Also I was wrong about the model of my generator it's a Brings and Stratton Elite 8750, not 8000.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive only had to use my generator twice, but when I run it out of fuel for storage I buy a can of TruFuel from HD. Ethanol free, pre-stabilized, etc.

I still turn off the fuel valve and let the engine run itself out, but I dont clean out the tank. If I remember, Ill drain the carb. But the ethanol-free is key....Ive left the stuff in there for a year and the gen fires right up on the second crank. And no it doesnt cough and sputter while idling :)

As far as oil, I ended up using Pennzoil Ultra (pre-GTL, so its not Ultra Platinum) 5W-30. The couple times Ive used our genset it wasnt in hot weather so I figured a full synth 5W-30 was fine. Here in CT our "need a generator" season is usually August thru October, outside of that mine sits in my garage and waits for the occasional roll out and exercise.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have a small panel with a small regulator, charging a marine battery hooked to a small inverter with an aquarium pump, pumping oxygen into a small pond. I lost the pictures to Photobucket, but it's been running for 3 years.

I thought the panels would last forever, it was the regulators and inverters and batteries that constantly wore out.

I thought about this here as well, I wonder if just running solar to a pump with no batteries would work? I mean you don't need O2 all the time to establish a good level right?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Here is an interesting article. My suggestion don't pre mix a lot of gas for your 2 stroke stuff, and when you have gas stored at the one year mark put it in the truck and go get new gas. As far as our fuel tanks in our trucks, we should be running the tanks real low every once in a while? Have a gallon or 2 on board just in case when doing so.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I honestly though really wonder:
Within the general population whom own portable generators whom actually use redline for lubrication?

I would bet a very very low number. Personally I would love to see a general consensus of 1 million people with the question: do you know the formulation of RL oil 10W-30 or 5W-30?
(We within these walls are a very rare Clan...outside these walls this Knowledge is far and few).

That’s the reason for me posting the VOA of that additive. I feel it would be a very strong addition for very low engine wear on a hard-working generator motor. (Added in the proper dosage!)

But I agree 100% with your comment I see no reason to add anything else with RL.
But is it the bench mark? According to the UOA reports I question that when it comes to lower wear #s.
As for quieting a noisy motor? (I give it the #1 Spot)!

My theory and research from portable generators is the best thing for long Jevity is keeping a robust fresh oil in the motor at all times. These engines when worked will shred a very robust oil.
(The heat is ridiculous)
I change mine every 15-20 hours. (With a HD 5W-40 Oil)
T6 = Turbo rated

Everybody has their own theories and thoughts. Yes of course I have mine.

I completely understand your first point and i don’t expect others to follow suit. Redline is not for everyone. And i do like GOOD additives mixed in a good group 3 or 4. I do just that in my cheap store brand power equipment.

As for redline being the benchmark... i agree that it is not. I also say that there isnt one. They all have thier pros and cons. The only rhing i would say about redline’s UOA’s is the ester has been proven to have a “polarity” to iron and pulls more of it out and into the dumped oil. There for raising iron numbers.

The super high heat on air cooled generators is the reason I chose ester/PAO based oil for it. It excels in that area.

JMO

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Crap went down to the local O'Reilly to buy some gear oil for the Mustang so I could change it at the same time as the oil. Not real happy with their selection of gear oils so came home and ordered some RL gear oil for it.

I was just wanting some synthetic oil and not pay $22 a quart for royal purple oil , sounded simple.....

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Power came on early this morning so it was about 36 hours without power and probably 24 or so on the generator.

I used Amsoil fuel stabilizer and Quick Shot on the gas I had stored and my generator ran perfect on 2+ year old 10% ethanol gas. Went through about 10 gallons of gas in that time which is pretty damn good considering it was running the whole house.

Like @U&A said its a learning experience and being this is the first time I've had to use the generator, this was a good one for me.

I always write the date on my gas cans so I know how old it is. However next time, I will have my gas cans lined up in order from oldest to newest ready to go before a storm so I'm not rooting through cans with a flashlight in the dark trying to figure out which is the oldest.

I need a better funnel to fill it up without making a mess when it's windy.

Also need a way of knowing the power has come back on besides looking at the neighbors to see if their lights are on.

Forgot that I had put Amsoil Small Engine Oil 10w30 in the generator last fall and not Redline. I'll likely change the oil soon anyway since this oil has 24 hours on it now and I had planned on changing the oil every time it's used for an extended period.

Also I was wrong about the model of my generator it's a Brings and Stratton Elite 8750, not 8000.

Have an electrician wire a light to your main box so the light is on even if the main breaker is off. So when the power comes on the light will come on. I know people that have this but i dont yet.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
69gwc, they didn't have m1? I would use m1 over RP 100 out of 100 times, it actually is great gear oil. But we all know what the real gear oils are, ester based.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Nope, RP, Lucas and some brand I had never heard of were the only synthetic and only Castrol dino and nothing else..
kinda sad the choices they had, then the local Napa was closed..

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Man, I'm not sure they could have a worse selection if they tried, lol. Lots of gear oil tests and info in the beginning of ts thread. Cliff notes, buy Redline gear oil.