Votes: 399 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 661 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Well, you're only partially right, it's only $20 a gallon. I buy it in the qt cans because I only use 1 1/2 to 2 Qts a year. Maybe a little more this year since I filled up the chainsaw.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

If I remember correctly I payed $4.95 ea @ TS. I could not have bought the gas & oil @ that price

I know How my equipment ran when I mixed the gas/oil myself compared to just shake & pour & it is night & day!
It’s a awesome convenience & I don’t mind paying a little extra.

One pull compared to 5-10! Don’t know how many times I was seen throwing my New Stihl weedeater across the yard. Not one time after the switch.

Funny: I find the older I get the more I really like these little conveniences.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
5 years into this thread do we have any idea if there is any difference between 5w20 and 5w30 wear numbers? I'm gonna change my oil this week and send it off, but I will be the first person to admit my vehicle isn't the perfect test vehicle. I think the best test vehicle would be one that is driven often and has 50k miles on it. Unless my wear numbers are dramatically different, there is no way we can conclude anything with credibility. Also, last time on 5w20 I changed the filter and topped off a qrt, this time I went the entire 2 years on same oil and same filter w/o any top off needed. If the wear numbers go down, that would be something that would be impressive. Wow it's march so I am now into month 25, gotta get on it.

Syn do you want me to try and spoof blackstone by saying it is a different oil, or do you trust them at this point? I've been pretty impressed with their results even more lately.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I am done cutting filters open, woohoo. I don't know what to make of it, but this 2 year interval filter was in better shape then the 14 month I cut open previously. No metal, no contamination to speak of, media was so smooth it felt like new paper. The oil was in good shape, very smooth no issues, I believe I could have safely went another year on it. However, lately the engine was just a little raspy, no tick at all but not smooth 100% of the time. Just since the fires, it could be that it was just because the truck sits most of the time because I'm busy with the remodel or because the oil was spent, I personally believe the truck sitting part. Anyhow, I put in the 10w30 (thanks Kyle) and it is of course buddar smooth. Sending of blackstone kit later.

40597516732_bb0c77516c_z.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Dawn soap does miracles, and that is a corn/crab pot. And no she doesn't know, I will have that sparkling clean by the time she gets off work :)

Little fuel smell in the oil, not sweet like usual but actually smells like gas, we will see the uoa soon. Catch can coming soon 2018.

I mean you have to be daft to use paper filters after everything we know now, these Royal Purple/Amsoil filters are great.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Another point, now with over 5 years running redline and this last run of a 2 year oil change, it is safe to say there are no "seal" issues. This happened in the beginning of developing esters in the 60's and 70's, simply a non issue going forward. You would see seal material in the oil filter if that was the case with long term use, simply does not happen.

Burla your crab tastes so good and smells like caramel brandy, what is your secret?

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Nah, you wouldn't see seal material in the oil filter. You'd see oil all over the outside of the engine and on the ground. None of the rubber seals are dynamic (touch any moving parts) other than the mains, which are encased in steel. If enough of that material were chipped out somehow and made it to be visible in the filter, you'd run out of oil before you knew it was in the filter. This is why oil leaks don't impact oil pressure... other than the aforementioned.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I will be changing my oil soon too. I believe my last OCI was June 2017 so I will do it before camping season starts in May.

I was going to change it every 6000 miles but circumstances change and now I only drive to work two days a week plus weekend use so it looks like I will time out before mileage.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I honestly dont think we will see much of a difference in wear numbers between 20w and 30w with a daily driver that does long commutes .... (just normal highway driving) in a basic sedan. But i would be hard pressed to believe that 20w will yeald the same result as 30w in a 400+ HP and 400+ torque push rod V-8 that is used for towing and work, (or even just daily drive with no towing). But we have SAID this before about a million and one times now......as burla said, with no hard evidence.

But i was raised on common sense firstly, and i sure as **** would not use 20w in any engine like ours.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I honestly dont think we will see much if a difference in wear numbers between 20w and 30w with a daily driver that does long commutes m.... (just normal highway driving) in a basic sedan. But i would be hard pressed to believe that 20w will yeald the same result as 30w in a 400+ HP and 400+ torque push rod V-8 that is used for towing and work, (or even just daily drive with no towing). But we have SAID this before about a million and one times now......as burla said, with no hard evidence.

But i was raised on common sense firstly, and i sure as **** would not use 20w in any engine like ours.
I agree and I think you would really see the wear numbers lower with 30wt oil on a stressed Hemi like one that tows a lot or plows snow...

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I honestly dont think we will see much if a difference in wear numbers between 20w and 30w with a daily driver that does long commutes m.... (just normal highway driving) in a basic sedan. But i would be hard pressed to believe that 20w will yeald the same result as 30w in a 400+ HP and 400+ torque push rod V-8 that is used for towing and work, (or even just daily drive with no towing). But we have SAID this before about a million and one times now......as burla said, with no hard evidence.

The thing I can't get past is that just about all the cam/ lifter failures has had a steady diet of 5/20, or run for a long time on 5/20 before switching to 5/30 because they were getting a tick. It seems to be pretty much all the 5/20's across the board too, sure, some are better than others, but all the 5/20's have had issues.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Alright fella’s I’m back, sort of, more time at least to do what I want now, but I did a thing. Got a smoking deal on a 2500, so I need y’all to tell me everything I need to know about the 6.4 Hemi! Please! Filter, oil, additives, does anyone make a damn catch can for this thing yet? 661104603331271c9f06a4a13d8fc8d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright fella’s I’m back, sort of, more time at least to do what I want now, but I did a thing. Got a smoking deal on a 2500, so I need y’all to tell me everything I need to know about the 6.4 Hemi! Please! Filter, oil, additives, does anyone make a damn catch can for this thing yet? 661104603331271c9f06a4a13d8fc8d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure I'll catch some flac for this but if it was mine I'd try M1 0/40 in it. Right now I'm running M1 5/30 EP in my 5.7 and it seems to like it really well. Just my 2 cts.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dawn soap does miracles, and that is a corn/crab pot. And no she doesn't know, I will have that sparkling clean by the time she gets off work :)

Little fuel smell in the oil, not sweet like usual but actually smells like gas, we will see the uoa soon. Catch can coming soon 2018.

I mean you have to be daft to use paper filters after everything we know now, these Royal Purple/Amsoil filters are great.
If you've ran a fuel system cleaner some of the smell may be that as well ??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice truck man congrats! Like newbie said, Mobil 1 FS0w40 is a great oil to use. PUP 0w40, Amsoil 0w40, and Redline 0w40 would be great to run in that as well. AFAIK there is no catch can for the 6.4. I guess the pcv system is integrated into the intake manifold unlike the 5.7...

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
:893MrT-thumb:A catch can can....(<< LOL) not be put on a 6.4 truck. The PCV system is built into the intake manafold if I remember correctly (rampant..?) the same filter that go on the 5.7 also go on the 6.4 HD but with more elbow room :):). If you want an excellent filter that is slightly larger go with the RP-20-820.

What additives are you interested in? All i use is TCW3 in my gas and a good PEA cleaner before the oil change just as others do as well.

Oil,
Im biased as iv had a startup tic problem so i use burlas avatar (redline). If you want to stick to the manufacturer recommended 0w40 and certified oil at that you are limited. One of the best “certified” oils is PUP OW40. IMO if you are not going to run that than you are free to explore as i have. .... JMO though.

Good exploratory oils.

PYB
Castrol edge (titanuim)
M1
M1 EP
M1 AP
Shchaeffers
QSUD
Redline ;)

Im sure i forgot some. Others will help.

Side note: i have a hard time reccomended an oil with low moly like some in my list. Only from fear of cam failures in the 5.7.

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
And the sewing machine noise when you are under load (climbing hills, hard acceleration) is the injectors. Its “normal”. If it makes you feel better the viper does it too. :anitoof: