Votes: 396 14.3%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 992 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 660 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Jeff: From my reading You seem to have chosen your Brand —>Amsoil
Is this correct?

After that has been shown.
We can possibly help choose a viscosity.

For the most part yes, not opposed to going with someone else, if I can get the performance out of it like I have had with Amsoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SyN

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Jeff: From my reading You seem to have chosen your Brand —>Amsoil
Is this correct?

After that has been shown.
We can possibly help choose a viscosity.
Hey I know this is off subject I looked up one of your prior post, but it does have to do with synthetic gear fluid.

I have 2016 2500 with the 6.4 not the Cummins. I had a gear swap done to 4.56's. Going to change out fluid after break in this weekend. My ring and pinion shop which is very good put in 75w140 in rear and and 80w90 in front. Im going with 75w90 in front and 75w140 in rear red line from Nick. My shop said absolutely run what I got and not the recommend 75W85. You seem to have more knowledge than me in this,can you give me your thoughts. Thanks.

ClarkandAddison

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have not read all 17,000+ post on this thread, but I've read enough to feel comfortable using PUP when it's time for my first oil change. My truck only has 750 miles on it now, but it is a 2017 so the factory oil has been in there for a while. I'll probably wait until 2,500-3,000 for the first oil change.

WalMart seems to have a good deal at $25 for the 5qt jugs. My question is what is the shelf life of this oil? If I buy 15qts now, will it still be okay to use it when I'm due for my second oil change which probably won't be until early 2019? I only drive about 9,000 miles a year, so my first change is still a few months away and then I'll probably change around 6-7k miles after that.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
There is no real shelf life on oil, especially when never opened. There are very isolated incidents where an oil with go rancid, but those are the exception not the rule. If there is any settling, just shake it and dump it in.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
What’s everyone’s thoughts on a 5W-50 in the 6.4? Can’t find much out there about it, but being in Las Vegas and Southern NM for the next few years and that heat, it couldn’t be a bad idea?

What is your hesitation in using 0w-40 SS? I've been using it from the start in my 6.4 and it has done a great job. I even ran it 12k+ miles (against my conventional thinking) one OCI just to see how well it did. To my surprise, it still had plenty of TBN and the wear numbers were very respectable for a young Hemi. At least 5k miles of that was towing 10k+ lbs cross-country in the summer.

If your hesitation is with the viscosity spread vs VII qty in the 0w-40, there is even more of the same in the 5w-50. More spread=more VII. There really isn't any way around that. That being said, I don't think you'd have any issues running a 50 wt, but I also don't see any real benefit. More parasitic drag=no bueno. Just my $.02.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You could always run SS 10w40 if you're concerned about VIIs...

That would be the conundrum, they don’t have SS in 10W-40, unless I’m not looking right, lol which could easily be possible.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks brother

In the warmer months I'd use 10W-40 in a 6.4L...
Oops , I should've read the post above ...

If Amsoil doesn't have the 10W-40 SS then you could mix thier 10W-30 with 5W-50 ?? Maybe ..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In the warmer months I'd use 10W-40 in a 6.4L...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking, just wish Amsoil had their SS in 10W-40, since I’ve had really good luck with it. Wife’s 5.7 in the Durango is sooooo quiet

That’s a great thought about the 5W-50 and 10W-30, I wonder what the Viscosity would be of a 50/50 mix

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Hey I know this is off subject I looked up one of your prior post, but it does have to do with synthetic gear fluid.

I have 2016 2500 with the 6.4 not the Cummins. I had a gear swap done to 4.56's. Going to change out fluid after break in this weekend. My ring and pinion shop which is very good put in 75w140 in rear and and 80w90 in front. Im going with 75w90 in front and 75w140 in rear red line from Nick. My shop said absolutely run what I got and not the recommend 75W85. You seem to have more knowledge than me in this,can you give me your thoughts. Thanks.

Brandon: For the front Differential——> If you tow a lot in 4WD or just use your 4WD a lot for extended periods of time? My own recommendation would be RL 75W-110.
If not? RL 75W-90 will work perfectly.

For the rearend: only time I would run 75W-90 is if I never towed & just used the truck as a simple daily driver.
Now if you work the truck? With some towing or a lot of medium/heavy towing I would use either RL 75W-110 or 140 for heavy towing.

Amsoil severe gear is a very Stout/Robust gear oil I would not hesitate to use either but I can get RL cheaper.

You have a good plan: Me personally I would stick with it.

I myself have an idea to use RL 75W-110 / 140 combo in the rear since I will only be towing Only during the summer months.
Maybe with the aftermarket cover (run 3qts 110 & 1qt 140).
Just me thinking out loud. 140 is thick stuff @ 0°F- 32°F.

I only wish I could or have the ambition to install a digital readout thermometer gauge or temperature gauge for the rearend oil that way I could experiment with different viscositys while towing during the summer months that would be kind of cool.
But as for now I can only trust that RL 110\140 will protect my expensive investment while towing during the summer months.

I do have a very nice laser thermometer gun that I can shoot the rearend cover (after towing) to get a decent reading of temperature. I will keep this in the glove box at all time especially during the summer just to keep track of how hot the rearend is getting.

SyN Disclaimer: Remember I pride myself on being different & Thinking way outside the box.
Very few will agree or think as I do. If they do? GOD Help Them!
This post is only my simple thoughts & ideas.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Brandon: For the front Differential——> If you tow a lot in 4WD or just use your 4WD a lot for extended periods of time? My own recommendation would be RL 75W-110.
If not? RL 75W-90 will work perfectly.

For the rearend: only time I would run 75W-90 is if I never towed & just used the truck as a simple daily driver.
Now if you work the truck? With some towing or a lot of medium/heavy towing I would use either RL 75W-110 or 140 for heavy towing.

Amsoil severe gear is a very Stout/Robust gear oil I would not hesitate to use either but I can get RL cheaper.

You have a good plan: Me personally I would stick with it.

I myself have an idea to use RL 75W-110 / 140 combo in the rear since I will only be towing Only during the summer months.
Maybe with the aftermarket cover (run 3qts 110 & 1qt 140).
Just me thinking out loud. 140 is thick stuff @ 0°F- 32°F.

I only wish I could or have the ambition to install a digital readout thermometer gauge or temperature gauge for the rearend oil that way I could experiment with different viscositys while towing during the summer months that would be kind of cool.
But as for now I can only trust that RL 110\140 will protect my expensive investment while towing during the summer months.

I do have a very nice laser thermometer gun that I can shoot the rearend cover with after towing to get a decent reading of temperature. I will keep this in the glove box at all time especially during the summer just to keep track of how hot the rearend is getting.
Thank you for the response I appreciate it. I do tow a lot in the summer. Nothing crazy boat and toys like side by side and quads. But usually about 4 to 10 hour trips 1 way. Up North and down to Kentucky. I picked up the red line from Nick @ gotexhaust. When my truck had the gears put in I had them install mag hytec front and rear diff covers. The rear holds approx 8 and the front 4.5 quarts. I will stick with the 75w90 in the front rarely tow with 4 wheel drive engaged. And I'll stick with 75w140 for the rear. I used royal purple in all my other trucks but seems like red line is on par with them. Thanks again.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Jeff: remember this is me with my thoughts and ideas. Mine will probably be totally different than everybody else’s which I hope so.

My first choice with Amsoil would be the AZF signature series 0W-40.
After the 25,000 mile mark I would do a used oil analysis.
Then me being OLD school I love and will always will like a very stout robust 10W–30.
I myself then would run for the same amount of miles the ATM signature series 10W-30 and compare both analysis.

I might do this back-and-forth a few times until the 50,000 mile mark.
Just to achieve a set of accurate trends.

I’m not recommending you do this nor would I advise anybody else to this is what I would do.

If I was to do any amount of medium or heavy towing I would add maybe 2 quarts of the Z rod 10W-30 with the oil change along with the ATM 10W-30———> For the extra ZDDP protection

Once again I will throw in my SyN Disclaimer:

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks Lonnie, I know I can always count on a different perspective from you on what would be a good path to take.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm sorry Jeff too busy to read pages, why are you not considering 5w40?

Passed a huge hurdle today, finally found out I wont have to put a grey water system in for the kitchen sink, I have enough slope to get it into the existing septic. Fricken huge, Burla is a happy camper today.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm sorry Jeff too busy to read pages, why are you not considering 5w40?

Passed a huge hurdle today, finally found out I wont have to put a grey water system in for the kitchen sink, I have enough slope to get it into the existing septic. Fricken huge, Burla is a happy camper today.

No worries, just looking at what Amsoil has to offer as I’ve had good luck with them, but starting to consider other options as well.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Jeff: Does the 6.4L seem to be happier with a Oil with a higher dose of Moly?
Pardon my ignorance on the 6.4L.
Does yours have the MDS system?

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the response I appreciate it. I do tow a lot in the summer. Nothing crazy boat and toys like side by side and quads. But usually about 4 to 10 hour trips 1 way. Up North and down to Kentucky. I picked up the red line from Nick @ gotexhaust. When my truck had the gears put in I had them install mag hytec front and rear diff covers. The rear holds approx 8 and the front 4.5 quarts. I will stick with the 75w90 in the front rarely tow with 4 wheel drive engaged. And I'll stick with 75w140 for the rear. I used royal purple in all my other trucks but seems like red line is on par with them. Thanks again.
Redline is sssoooo much better than royal purple. RLK, where's that comparison you put up awhile ago?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Amsoil has 5w40.