Votes: 399 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 661 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Chrisbh17 was right, one of the things it said to check was for tsb's pertaining to you're vehicle, mainly pcm updates.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lack of actual fuel in the fuel (i.e. more water than fuel), wouldn't that cause a lean condition?

The #7 misfire does kinda point at something to do with cylinder #7....maybe a bad (or clogged) injector, or maybe even a head/valve issue?

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
P0171-FUEL SYSTEM 1/1 LEAN

Theory of Operation

The intent of this diagnostic is to identify rich or lean fuel system abnormalities which would cause vehicle emissions to exceed 1.5 times any of the standards. The base fuel feedback control will maintain the desired fuel/air mixture by modifying the injected fuel quantity according to the oxygen content of the exhaust gas. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) makes short term and long term fuel corrections based on feedback from the Upstream O2 Sensors. The PCM monitors feedback from the Downstream O2 Sensors to determine and optimize the efficiency of the Catalytic Converters.

The Upstream Fuel System Monitor and Downstream Fuel Trim Diagnostic monitors operate very differently;

- Upstream Fuel System Monitor

- The Upstream Fuel System Monitor diagnostic monitors the Upstream O2 Sensor feedback to determine the actual fuel/air ratio, which is then compared to the desired fuel/air ratio. The error between the two is measured and corrected for. This correction happens "live" and the instantaneous value of the correction is stored in short term fuel trim. Short term fuel trim is intended to correct temporary or dynamic errors in the air/fuel ratio. If the value of short term fuel trim is large enough for a sufficient period of time, it is assumed that whatever is causing the error is permanent and not temporary and the value in short term fuel trim is moved to long term fuel trim. When this transfer occurs, the short term fuel trim is re-zeroed and continues to look for temporary errors. If the combined value of the total fuel correction stored in short term and long term fuel trim (rich or lean) exceeds a calibrated threshold, for a calibrated period of time, a fuel system monitor fault is recorded.

- Downstream Fuel Trim Diagnostic

- A Downstream O2 Sensor goal voltage is selected to maintain the optimum catalyst efficiency. Corresponding Upstream O2 Sensor rich/lean switching point thresholds for various operating conditions are also selected which normally result in a Downstream O2 Sensor voltage close to this goal voltage. During normal operation, whenever the upstream rich/lean switching point threshold does not result in the desired downstream goal voltage, the downstream fuel trim feature "trims" (adjusts) the upstream rich/lean switching point threshold up or down appropriately until the desired downstream goal voltage is achieved. The amount of trim adjustment that is added or removed is called "downstream fuel trim." If the trim adjustment to the Upstream O2 Sensor goes beyond a calibrated threshold (rich or lean), a fault is set.

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

- With the engine running in closed loop fuel control.

- Battery voltage above 11.0 volts.

- Barometric pressure greater than 75 kPa.

- The ambient temperature above -7°C (20°F).

- Fuel level greater than 12%.

- Altitude below 2590.8 m (8500 ft.).

Set Conditions:

- When the sum of the short term and long term fuel corrections are greater than a calibrated threshold, generally 133% (100% is nominal), the fail timer will increment. After approximately 30 seconds of fail time the diagnostic fails.

Default Actions:

- The MIL light will illuminate.

- If the vehicle is equipped with the stop/start feature, the system will be disabled when this DTC is active.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
revbase.com lists TSBs for year make and model.

There is one listed for PCM enhancements on a 2016 RAM but I cant get the damn file to load.

TSBID: 199849 Mfg Num: 1805117 Issue Date: 2017-05-23

And here is the Charger/Challenger TSB from 2015, note the symptoms are quite close to the codes @69GWC is seeing: https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/112054/000000003b9bb57a

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
P0307-CYLINDER 7 MISFIRE

For a complete wiring diagram, refer to the Wiring Information .

Theory of Operation

The PCM uses the Crankshaft (CKP) Sensor to detect and monitor the Crankshaft rotational speed. Normally, the Crankshaft rotational speed is fairly stable from cylinder to cylinder. When a misfire occurs in a cylinder, the Crankshaft speed changes abuptly for that cylinder. Therefore, anything that causes a sudden change in Crankshaft speed detected for a single cylinder is determined to be an engine misfire event. A misfire fault will usually occur due to poor fuel quality or metering, lack of spark, engine timing, low engine compression, engine mechanical or valvetrain issues, a vacuum or coolant leak entering the engine intake air system. Though not as common, other factors such as severe wheel balance or braking vibration, a worn serpentine belt or belt driven accessory binding should also be considered when diagnosing a misfire fault.

Depending on the engine involved, there can be several systems and components that can contribute to a misfire. In many cases, but not always, there will be other DTCs set related to these systems. If that is the case, the focus should be on following the diagnostics for the system that has DTCs set against it. The different components or systems will affect misfire in different ways. Factors to consider when diagnosing a misfire are whether the misfire is a single cylinder or multiple cylinder misfire, and when does the misfire occur (idle, vehicle and engine speed, heavy engine load conditions, etc.). These factors can help in determining what components or systems should be focused on during diagnostics.

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs when the following conditions are met:

- With the engine running

- After the adaptive numerator has been successfully updated.

Set Conditions:

- If the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects that the variation in crankshaft speed between each cylinder exceeds a calibrated value, based on engine RPM and load, a fault is set.

Default Actions:

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
P0300-MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISFIRE

For a complete wiring diagram, refer to the Wiring Information .

Theory of Operation

The PCM uses the Crankshaft (CKP) Sensor to detect and monitor the Crankshaft rotational speed. Normally, the Crankshaft rotational speed is fairly stable from cylinder to cylinder. When a misfire occurs in a cylinder, the Crankshaft speed changes abuptly for that cylinder. Therefore, anything that causes a sudden change in Crankshaft speed detected for a single cylinder is determined to be an engine misfire event. A misfire fault will usually occur due to poor fuel quality or metering, lack of spark, engine timing, low engine compression, engine mechanical or valvetrain issues, a vacuum or coolant leak entering the engine intake air system. Though not as common, other factors such as severe wheel balance or braking vibration, a worn serpentine belt or belt driven accessory binding should also be considered when diagnosing a misfire fault.

Depending on the engine involved, there can be several systems and components that can contribute to a misfire. In many cases, but not always, there will be other DTCs set related to these systems. If that is the case, the focus should be on following the diagnostics for the system that has DTCs set against it. The different components or systems will affect misfire in different ways. Factors to consider when diagnosing a misfire are whether the misfire is a single cylinder or multiple cylinder misfire, and when does the misfire occur (idle, vehicle and engine speed, heavy engine load conditions, etc.). These factors can help in determining what components or systems should be focused on during diagnostics.

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs when the following conditions are met:

- With the engine running

- After the adaptive numerator has been successfully updated.

Set Conditions:

- If the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects that the variation in crankshaft speed between each cylinder exceeds a calibrated value, based on engine RPM and load, a fault is set.

Default Actions:

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Just checked all Ram TSBs and recalls back to 2015. Nothing with those symptoms.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I'd start by disconnecting, inspecting, and reconnecting #7 coil pack (back one on driver's side).

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know several years ago shell had a problem around here with too much sulfur in their gas that was causing all kinds of issues. Depending on how much gas you bought to fill up you're tank could effect the amount of any contamination. If you run real low before filling up you'd get a more concentrated amount of bad gas than someone that fills up with 1/3 of a tank left. Personally I refuel when I get a little lower than 1/2, not because of this issue though, just hate spending $60 at one shot for a fill-up.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If it's water in the gas it should be getting better within the short end of the gas interval as the water should come through first, so I would expect the second half of the gas tank should be all gas. If it is bad gas, that would be another issue. Anyhow, you gonna stop using that station yes?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Try swapping the #7 coil with the adjacent coil and see if the misfire travels...

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I just got home so 50 miles since I puy the heet in and 100 miles since I filled it up. I topped the take off and put the RP octane booster in and drove 20 miles home.
Right now the lights off no more codes and it seems to be running fine.
I am thinking it was bad gas unless om the am its running like crap again.

This code reader works nice Rampant thanks for that info, and thank all you for your imput on it.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Keep an eye on it and I would keep the code reader in your truck for the next few weeks. If it was bad gas, you should be all set.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I just got home so 50 miles since I puy the heet in and 100 miles since I filled it up. I topped the take off and put the RP octane booster in and drove 20 miles home.

This code reader works nice Rampant thanks for that info, and thank all you for your imput on it.
No problem. Glad it seems to be straightening out. I still don't believe it was the gas. Electrical fails are more intermittent more often than not, so keep that scan tool in your truck. Play around with it and learn it's functions and capabilities. Especially FF and LD. You'll thank yourself in the long run.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
Thanks for the post big dodge, I think redline engine oil is overkill for most applications, it wouldn't even be my choice for the 5.7 if the hemi is running good, but if the hemi has hemi tick, it is the only proven choice imo. BYW, PUP (pennzoil ultra platinum) has the best wear numbers we have seen for the 5.7, something to consider.

For gear fluid and transmission fluid, there is a huge benefit to the ester/pao based stuff. It doesn't have to be redline, it is about formula not brand. There are a couple options other then redline, but obviously redline is the popular choice
5W30 before 5W20 here to? (PUP / Pennzoil Ultra Platinum)

GottaBeKD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

If you have a catch can check the hoses too... make sure there isn't a vacuum leak there. Too lean condition is possible if there is air introduced post MAF and is running leaner.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I don't think it was too much air, or it would still be doing it.

GottaBeKD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think it was too much air, or it would still be doing it.
With all the additives and octane boosters it could be compensating for the higher AF ratio

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk