Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Looks like you could put that stuff in any oil and make it a good oil. Is 6oz the prescribed amount or just what you use?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Is what I use. Think it is 3oz per quart substitute, if I used valvoline full synthetic I would use more, since Mobile 1 EP , I use less. The type of Moly in it, is the more expensive type that doesn't cause sludge etc. If this wasnt around I would use Liquid Moly, but I like this best.

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is what I use. Think it is 3oz per quart substitute, if I used valvoline full synthetic I would use more, since Mobile 1 EP , I use less. The type of Moly in it, is the more expensive type that doesn't cause sludge etc. If this wasnt around I would use Liquid Moly, but I like this best.
Do we know if the Molybdenum is tri- nuclear ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You know, you're right. I can't say I have that much experience with Hemis. I did have an '03 QC Laramie. I bought it new in FL, put 10k on it, moved to Japan for 7 yrs, got orders to Minot, ND. My dad had it in his heated shop the whole time and drove it on occasion. Put 2k on it in that time. It was 2wd, so obviously not the vehicle for ND. Traded it within a month of being there. Got there in March of 2010 and I was literally mowing my grass around piles of permafrost/snow in my yard. I can tell you that it was quiet. I am very in tune with the sounds any motor I have makes. Doesn't really mean anything I guess, but in general, a noisy motor is not a positive thing. Thank you for pointing that out. I think we get jaded in here with all the ********. Thanks for steering the conversation in a sensible direction without being a db.

Actually, they
Link for lubegaurd heavy duty .

http://www.lubegard.com/SearchByCat...&title=LUBEGARD+Heavy+Duty+Engine+Protectant#

Rlk, have you used this in your vehicles or at work? Thanks

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No sir I haven't , but the Blackstone sheet above looks good .

RAMAINEiac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
That's interesting. Do you have proof of this?
No, I do not have proof and I could not win this case in court.
A friend is an engineer with Mobile who represents the company to manufacturers which use M1 oil. I got my information from conversations with him and I have relied on that information, that Mobile makes the synthetic base and holds the pattent for it.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Do we know if the Molybdenum is tri- nuclear ?

I think tri-nuclear moly would be clear and the biotech is dark, so most likely mono nuclear. But not sure, read some say is tri-nuclear but no fact behind it. It is not MOs2 though.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
No, I do not have proof and I could not win this case in court.
A friend is an engineer with Mobile who represents the company to manufacturers which use M1 oil. I got my information from conversations with him and I have relied on that information, that Mobile makes the synthetic base and holds the pattent for it.

Although that's probably closer to proof than any of us could come up with personally, a quick search of the US Patent office shows there are hundreds of patents on synthetic base oils. Mobile is one of them. Most of the large oil companies and many smaller ones hold patents as well. Primrose has the most recent submission. Oddly enough, I didn't see any from Shell, but several from their subsidiary, Pennz. It's a compelling subject for sure. I'd love to see and hear more information about how that end of 'the biz' works.

Last edited:

RAMAINEiac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Although that's probably closer to proof than any of us could come up with personally, a quick search of the US Patent office shows there are hundreds of patents on synthetic base oils. Mobile is one of them. Most of the large oil companies and many smaller ones hold patens as well. Primrose has the most recent submission. Oddly enough, I didn't see any from Shell, but several from their subsidiary, Pennz. It's a compelling subject for sure. I'd love to see and hear more information about how that end of 'the biz' works.

This is of great interest to most of us gear heads especially if you remember when an engine was worn out by 100k mi. I'm curious what level of manufacturing investment is needed to actually produce synthetic oil base for ones own brand of oil, does it need to be on a scale of Exxon Mobile or can smaller companies produce it as well.

MooseKitchen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Well here's what I'm doing today for my 5.7

5547bee459f73443663ddc792ebe2a5c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Just a warning with the K&N filters with nut on bottom. About year ago I bought one for my wife's car, seemed fine, then about 2 days later noticed when she was backing up a line of oil. So looked under car and was dripping from nut on end of filter. I thought, maybe I didn't tighten it, which was odd. Then noticed hole in bottom of filter. Looked like when they drilled the hole in the center of the nut, they drilled into filter, then painted over it, over a few days, paint got soft and leak. Contacted k&n and they wanted me to send filter back etc and would cost me more to drive to post office than filter, plus was messy, so I just ate the cost.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I use Mobile 1 because I trust the product from decades of using it. Mobile 1 0W-40 is a fantastic oil for cold weather however, my Ram has the 5.7 which calls for 5W-20 and M1 is what the truck gets. Mobile produces and sells the base for most other synthetic oil brands which apply their own additive packages. I trust the Mobile additive engenering more than other brands.

M1 makes some good oil but there are some other options to consider. Check out the link to see 221 oils tested and compared against one another. Enjoy!

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a warning with the K&N filters with nut on bottom. About year ago I bought one for my wife's car, seemed fine, then about 2 days later noticed when she was backing up a line of oil. So looked under car and was dripping from nut on end of filter. I thought, maybe I didn't tighten it, which was odd. Then noticed hole in bottom of filter. Looked like when they drilled the hole in the center of the nut, they drilled into filter, then painted over it, over a few days, paint got soft and leak. Contacted k&n and they wanted me to send filter back etc and would cost me more to drive to post office than filter, plus was messy, so I just ate the cost.
I used to use k&n filters almost exclusively until the first one I put on my Hemi. It appeared to be fine on installation with no leaks however got out on the road and within 12 mike's it leaked 1/2 quart. Luckily I was just makeing the short trip to work instead of taking off to the beach. Mine appears that the center hole wasn't tapped square with the base plate not allowing it to pull up square. You can see where base plate was rubbing on half of it. Needless to say that was my last k&n oil filter. Seems like their QC has left the building.
14e50771b4a16d7156c437db1b8e4c14.jpg

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Loved the nut on the end, but I stopped using them when they moved production to China.

MooseKitchen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Anyone know the law about mechanic shops taking used oil in NC? I know it varies from state to state, but I thought they all had to take used oil. I'd like to know that I'm 100% in the right before I do anything to this special mechanic who was beyond rude to me for suggesting that he accept my used oil.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Loved the nut on the end, but I stopped using them when they moved production to China.
Now the HP 1017 which is the one for the 5.7 is made in Mexico.