synthetic oil -- 6.4 HEMI

what 0W-40 oil do you prefer in your 6.4 (or other weight/brand)

• Pennzoil Ultra Platinum

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Redline

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Amsoil

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Royal Purple

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mobile 1

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Castrol

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Lucas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
So if there is any interest in another synthetic oil thread that pertains specifically to the 6.4 HEMI lets start it here.. show you VOA's, UOA's, share you experiences with brands, weights, OCI, additives... anything pertaining to synthetic motor oil in your 6.4

lets try keeping the context the same as the original "synthetic Oil" thread.

ill start by saying I am using, and plan on using (for now) Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W40. I am subscribed on amazon for a 6-quart case order that comes out to $6.74 per quart. as well as a fram ultra for $7.14. currently still on the free PUP oil changes from the dealer and they do use PUP and the mopar filter. I have had 2 instances (i think) with the lifter "tick" on a cold start up that last roughly 1-2 seconds.... hence the fram filter to see if it prevents it.

I have no VOA's or UOA's as of yet. :(

Last edited:

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I bought some of the SRT 0w40 jugs and a case of Redline 10w-40 to thicken it up a little and give it some more Moly. I'm using a 5qt jug of the SRT with 2qts of the Redline. So far the truck is a little noisy, but it was the same the day I picked it up with 6 miles on it.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I bought some of the SRT 0w40 jugs and a case of Redline 10w-40 to thicken it up a little and give it some more Moly. I'm using a 5qt jug of the SRT with 2qts of the Redline. So far the truck is a little noisy, but it was the same the day I picked it up with 6 miles on it.

Hasnt it been said on BITOG that mixing weights of the same brand is fine but its not "idel" to mix diff weights and brands? If this is ok to do id be interested in trying some concoctions...

Id be interested in what SYN has to say about this.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I personally am not a big fan of mixing different brands of oils. Mixing viscosity I see NO harm in due to the chemistry is the same (just more or less ppm of the same additives within very similar packages).

Redline offers so much more then the SRT 0W-40. The current version of the SRT is a poor excuse for a 0W-40. The extra Tri-Nuclear Moly is the only Plus. {Which I like for an engine that is worked}.

I think the SRT 0W-40 is a decent choice for a daily driver. As for the Hellcat/Viper/Modified Charger or Challenger? I feel there are better options out there. The PUP 5W-30 actually shows to have a more robust additive package then the 0W-40.

I do feel as long as the SRT program & Pennzoil keep working closely together with this oil. The additive package will improve. Time will Tell!

I will say-->I do like the end result of the GTL process. Every UOA posted within BITOG of these oils has showed some extremely low wear numbers.

One more thing I feel I must say--> I have never heard of or witnessed an engine failure due too mixing brands of oil. I just have a small OCD with doing it.

As always--->All of this is just some of my simple minded opinions and personal experiences (Nothing More)!

Last edited:
OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I personally am not a big fan of mixing different brands of oils. Mixing viscosity I see NO harm in due to the chemistry is the same (just more or less ppm of the same additives within very similar packages).

Redline offers so much more then the SRT 0W-40. The current version of the SRT is a poor excuse for a 0W-40. The extra Tri-Nuclear Moly is the only Plus. {Which I like for an engine that is worked}.

I think the SRT 0W-40 is a decent choice for a daily driver. As for the Hellcat/Viper/Modified Charger or Challenger? I feel there are better options out there. The PUP 5W-30 actually shows to have a more robust additive package then the 0W-40.

I do feel as long as the SRT program & Pennzoil keep working closely together with this oil. The additive package will improve. Time will Tell!

I will say-->I do like the end result of the GTL process. Every UOA posted within BITOG of these oils has showed some extremely low wear numbers.

One more thing I feel I must say--> I have never heard of or witnessed an engine failure due too mixing brands of oil. I just have a small OCD with doing it.

As always--->All of this is just some of my simple minded opinions and personal experiences (Nothing More)!

Thanks. Did not know that was your opinion of the 0w-40 PUP. But if they do return really good wear #'s than it cant be to bad hu?.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

As fir the mixing im on the same page. It cant be "bad" i would think but its just not " ideal" to mix brands.

Do you think if they (shell) improves on the additive package that they will raise the price to around amsoil pricing?

dexter

Banned
Reaction score

You identified the key issue in the Redline Vs PUP - the additive package. Unless we had a oil analysis of each then knew the components and what each did, we really don't know the difference.

The properties chart do not help. I'd say it is probably safe to use either. I'll be using the PUP for at least 50,000.

I really liked adding Lucas Oil Stabilizer to my Dakota 3.9L - it quieted the engine and extended oil life. I sent them a question asking if it is OK to use with 0-40w oils. I don't think I would add it unless I got engine noise or a lot of miles.

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Motor Oil - 0W40 Motor Oil

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produ...dd99445c116/Pennzoil-Ultra-Platinum-0W-40.pdf

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
There are VOA's on Lucas oil stabilizer on BITOG. They found that all it is, is really thick oil with almost zero additives. Its only thickens you current oil and diluts its additive package. IMO, Its great for old engines that your trying to stretch out for a little longer rather than fixing. Id rather use a quality motor oil that is thicker and actulaay has additives. But that is just my opinion. The facts are in the VOA.

Her is a BITOG link with copy and pasted VOA info on it

Lucas Oil Stabilizer | ****** Oil Analysis - PCMO/HDEO | Bob Is The Oil Guy

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Pennzoil SRT 0w40 | ****** Oil Analysis - PCMO/HDEO | Bob Is The Oil Guy

Nothing Special here! Zinc/Phos levels are low compared to other 0W-40 oils. Moly/Calcium are Ideal levels. Magnesium helps the Calcium with cleaning.

I personally would like to see this oil Tweeked some what! For the Sake of the SRT Program!

Like I stated---> For the 6.4L Daily Driver this oil is fine. But for less $$ there are oils available that can be just as effective.

The UOAs within the Hellcats begin telling some of the imperfections about the formulation of this oil.

Though warranty can be an issue with some. BUT some dealerships are still using the M1 0W-40 due to the horrible availability of the SRT with NO warranty issues. There is also rumor the New Euro M1 FS 0W-40 is now GTL base-->Much Thinner version of the old version.

"Do you think if they (shell) improves on the additive package that they will raise the price to around amsoil pricing?"

Maybe! It is already WAY overpriced for the weak additive package it possesses. ALWAYS keep your options open. The good thing with a 6.4L you are not limited to this oil. You can very easily (with never an issue) run 5W-30/0W-30 or even 5W-40. A lot of options out there. Amsoil has many that would work very well! I'm just not a fan of having to Pay {Shipping & Tax}.

Good Luck to all of you 6.4L owners with your oil choice. I really envy you! Love That Motor.

Last edited:

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
There are VOA's on Lucas oil stabilizer on BITOG. They found that all it is, is really thick oil with almost zero additives. Its only thickens you current oil and diluts its additive package. IMO, Its great for old engines that your trying to stretch out for a little longer rather than fixing. Id rather use a quality motor oil that is thicker and actulaay has additives. But that is just my opinion. The facts are in the VOA.

Her is a BITOG link with copy and pasted VOA info on it

Lucas Oil Stabilizer | ****** Oil Analysis - PCMO/HDEO | Bob Is The Oil Guy

BITOG is a great forum for oil information.

I started using Lucas when my 3.9l had about 120,000 miles. I sold it with 210,000 miles. It could have kept going. I used Mobile 1 synthetic since about 30,000 miles on the truck. The Lucas may only be a thickener. But it did stop engine noise at start up and while driving. You only add 20% of your oil capacity of Lucas.

Changing oil at regular intervals is best thing you can do for the longevity of your truck.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
BITOG is a great forum for oil information.

I started using Lucas when my 3.9l had about 120,000 miles. I sold it with 210,000 miles. It could have kept going. I used Mobile 1 synthetic since about 30,000 miles on the truck. The Lucas may only be a thickener. But it did stop engine noise at start up and while driving. You only add 20% of your oil capacity of Lucas.

Changing oil at regular intervals is best thing you can do for the longevity of your truck.

Answer from Lucas Oil About Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer.

"Thank you for contacting us.. Do you know if your truck comes with a MDS system?(engine-cylinder deactivation system.

if it does come with this system.. we do not recommend you add anything ..

thank you"

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
just thought id share that I have not seen any difference yet in MPG with BP 89 octane & Lucas oil UCL/injector cleaner at about 2.5oz to 10 gallons. ill do it for another tank and then I want to try MMO. All for fun as I know im not saving any money doing this.

anyone else try Lucas UCL or MMO with the 6.4 yet? results?

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I would not expect a mpg increase from a UCL. It's not magic in a bottle. The best mpg will be gained from your right foot and a well maintained/Clean fuel system. Adding abit of lubricity to the fuel some say is another added plus.

I honestly think RL SI-1 is the only fuel additive that Contains PEA and has lubricity for UCL. Sort of the best of both worlds.

There is another popular fuel additive that most here have no idea even exists.

http://www.lcdinc.com/fuel.htm

Due to expensive Fed Ex shipping it it rarely talked about.

Last edited:
OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I would not expect a mpg increase from a UCL. It's not magic in a bottle. The best mpg will be gained from your right foot and a well maintained/Clean fuel system. Adding abit of lubricity to the fuel is just an added plus.

Understandable, and i didnt expect much if anything. Just thought id try because it says it "saves fuel". I still want to test mmo as all vehicles are different. Im not doing it for MPG anyway. Im doing it for UCL and slight cleaning/ maintnance. Same as TCW3. I actually went thier for that but my walmart just didnt have a good deal on it. I will try that too though. And do use Amsoil PI as directed.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
just thought id share that I have not seen any difference yet in MPG with BP 89 octane & Lucas oil UCL/injector cleaner at about 2.5oz to 10 gallons. ill do it for another tank and then I want to try MMO. All for fun as I know im not saving any money doing this.

anyone else try Lucas UCL or MMO with the 6.4 yet? results?

You should be using 3 oz/ 10 gallons.

UCL is more of a fuel injector cleaner.

If your truck is in good shape you will probably not need any additives. If your truck is old with dirty injectors and carbon build up additives may help.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Pennzoil SRT 0w40 | ****** Oil Analysis - PCMO/HDEO | Bob Is The Oil Guy

Nothing Special here! Zinc/Phos levels are low compared to other 0W-40 oils. Moly/Calcium are Ideal levels. Magnesium helps the Calcium with cleaning.

I personally would like to see this oil Tweeked some what! For the Sake of the SRT Program!

Like I stated---> For the 6.4L Daily Driver this oil is fine. But for less $$ there are oils available that can be just as effective.

The UOAs within the Hellcats begin telling some of the imperfections about the formulation of this oil.

Though warranty can be an issue with some. BUT some dealerships are still using the M1 0W-40 due to the horrible availability of the SRT with NO warranty issues. There is also rumor the New Euro M1 FS 0W-40 is now GTL base-->Much Thinner version of the old version.

"Do you think if they (shell) improves on the additive package that they will raise the price to around amsoil pricing?"

Maybe! It is already WAY overpriced for the weak additive package it possesses. ALWAYS keep your options open. The good thing with a 6.4L you are not limited to this oil. You can very easily (with never an issue) run 5W-30/0W-30 or even 5W-40. A lot of options out there. Amsoil has many that would work very well! I'm just not a fan of having to Pay {Shipping & Tax}.

Good Luck to all of you 6.4L owners with your oil choice. I really envy you! Love That Motor.

SYN,

just to be clear, being that the VOA is over 3 years old I dont think this is the new "Pennzoil Ultra Platinum" formula. It looks like the "ultra" before the did the PUP thing. Am I correct on this? I know they improved the packages on the PUP over the original "Ultra".

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
You're thinking is correct. It is hard to say if the formula has changed since then.

There is not a huge following of this oil. I have been watching constantly for a new UOA or ****** oil analysis but so far there has none that of been posted.

Like I have said I only use the SRT oil for the Extra Moly content. If you pay close attention to the PUP 5W-30-----> it actually carries a more robust additive package.

But you are 100% correct the formulation of the SRT 0W-40 could have changed two or three times by now. Without a true ****** oil sample we will never know.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
You're thinking is correct. It is hard to say if the formula has changed since then.

There is not a huge following of this oil. I have been watching constantly for a new UOA or ****** oil analysis but so far there has none that of been posted.

Like I have said I only use the SRT oil for the Extra Moly content. If you pay close attention to the PUP 5W-30-----> it actually carries a more robust additive package.

But you are 100% correct the formulation of the SRT 0W-40 could have changed two or three times by now. Without a true ****** oil sample we will never know.

well sh!$....now you making me think I should be the test subject for a new VOA on the 0w40 PUP SRT oil.......:hmm:. its not at the top of my list but If I get a bug up my a$$ and do it ill post it here. I saw the same as you by the way. no info at all about the new 0w40 PUP SRT oil. I find it odd.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
But like I have said a few times already. The SRT program is getting bigger and bigger and stronger. My faith and thinking is they will work harder with Pennzoil to only make this oil better in time.

I do not have an inside track or anything like that I am just going on Faith and common sense.

I have been thinking about sending in a sample to Blackstone as well. But I never have any extra left over from my case that I order. This is not an oil I could just run down the street to the parts store and buy it has to be ordered online. So getting an extra Qt for the sample is going to be somewhat difficult.

I have plans on continuing the use of this oil. So I would really like to keep up on the formula.

Last edited:
OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
SYN

I was looking at mobile 1 0w40 and it looks decent but I didn't like the lower molybdenum, I cant seem to find any recent VOA's on M1 0w40. do you have any info on it? Internet gossip leads some to believe that the american version of M1 isn't so hot any more. but I cant find any recent proof. only a VOA form 2009.