Synthetic oil or synthetic blend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ranger520

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are there big advantages of full synthetic over synthetic blends ?

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Big Advantages? None! Maybe 2 or 3 at the most {Slight} advantages...

1. Cold Start Pumpability can be better.
2. Capability of extending your OCI out to 15K miles or more.
3. Possibly better heat handling capability.
4. Some will say an advantage in Cleaning Capability but there has been Oh So many documented statements and pictures of conventional oils being used with 200K-400K miles on motors and during tear downs parts were found to be virtually spotless...But these were documented with PROPER OCI being kept during all these miles...

Todays Conventional and Semi-Synthetic oils are Outstanding! An owner has to take into consideration Engine Design and Driving Style and Habits... As well as the Climate the auto is going to be exposed to 24/7...

Do you want to stay within the OLM-->5K-8K miles? or Extend out to 10K-15K miles?

Use whatever makes You get that Warm Fuzzy Feeling inside once the New Filter is screwed on and the Fresh Oil is poured in...

Search and find a Top Name Brand oil with a Good Amount of Moly and Zinc! Don't neglect that Air Filter nor your OCI...

Not to be noisy! But what brands are U considering?

Last edited:

stricnine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Or just look in the owners manual and add accordingly. Simple.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My problem with synthetic blends have been there was no regulation on how much synthetic had to be added to call it a blend. I would never use a blend, either just use Conventional or go Synthetic, you can make an argument for either. And anything Penzoil and you are covered either way.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Or just look in the owners manual and add accordingly. Simple.

ROFL: Na I don't think the Owners Manual will answer his Actual Question!

His Actual question has Nothing to do with the owners manual...

Oh Please! Please! Copy & Paste from Owners Manual where it talks about and Actually Discusses the differences and Advantages and ANSWERS his Actual question----> Are there big advantages of full synthetic over synthetic blends ?

Make sure to Highlight the part where they {Owners Manual} talk about whether they are comparing a Full Synthetic or 100% Synthetic because there is a difference... :favorites13:

I really want to compare my thoughts to the Actual Gospel Truth!

Last edited:

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My problem with synthetic blends have been there was no regulation on how much synthetic had to be added to call it a blend. I would never use a blend, either just use Conventional or go Synthetic, you can make an argument for either. And anything Penzoil and you are covered either way.

Mix your own 1/2 conventional 1/2 full synthetic. Or would you just not use a blend period?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You might be able to talk me into tossing a quart of redline with a conventional oil change, you would get a poor mans ester oil, but as a rule generally I wouldn't blend either.

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
Put 485k miles on 1985 Ford Bronco purchased new in 1985 with 5.8L V8 using only SAE 10w40 conventional group 2 motor oil.
Always used Castro brand in that engine.
Always passed CA emissions test.
OCI was always 3500 miles with Fram paper media PH8 oil filter.
Engine was not noisy at the end.
Let it go because of 12 mpg.
However, had three rebuilds on inefficient C6 transmission with no OD.
Engine speed, 2500 rpm at 65 mph.
Use full synthetic now over conventional or blend, since film strength for the lighter weight 5w20 oils specified for new engines is greater than conventional or synthetic blend & use 5k mile OCI on group 3 synthetic rather than 3500 mile OCI on conventional.
Believe maximum ratio of group 3 full synthetic to group 2 conventional is 25% for synthetic blend.
In my opinion either go with 100% conventional or 100% full synthetic.
Believe using true synthetic group 4 POA olefin motor oil is a waste of $.

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Ranger: If you even revisit this thread...

I {Myself} actually tryed to answer your question the best I could without spewing out all kinds of numbers and graphs... Granted it was not very technical...

Your best way to get an Actual Answer would be to visit here-->
Bob Is The Oil Guy | The Internet's Number One Motor Oil Site

Either create an account and begin asking questions to those that actually know what the **** they are talking about-->They are not hard to find!
or
Just begin looking through all the old threads... Your question has been asked many many times...

Good luck on your Quest!

Andy: Good Luck finding the Actual Truth to your question... Pennzoil just sells 1 semi synthetic or a {Blend} {Here in the States}as some call it... Pennzoil Gold! I have never heard it mentioned being used at dealerships... Most talk has been PYB being used which has proven to be as good as {Some} shelf bought synthetics...

Last edited:

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
isn't the mopar oil the manual suggests a blend?

it doesn't say either way, most ram trucks came with Pennzoil yellow bottle which is a conventional

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
Called the Shell/Pennzoil engine testing laboratory in Texas about two ago.
The lab spokes person said there is no issue changing to PP after 500 miles on factory fill Pennzoil yellow bottle conventional(PYB) ,since the new engines require only low mileage break in of rings (ring seating),since the cylinder wall finish is controlled to very tight tolerances, requiring very little break in time.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Raven: what does that have to do with the topic of this thread. Very few of these posts even address rangers question...

The topic of switching FF to a synthetic has been discussed many times already... Since many engines come with a FF of synthetic...one that comes to mind --->SRT(0W-40) / Corvette / GTR / BMW/ Mercs / on & on...

Please for the Respect of Rangers Question can we at least attempt to stay on topic.

I don't mean to be a D-Bag but it gets aggravating when other members after attempting to answer the original questions feels the need to take over and make the thread their own or post other information that shares NO interest towards the Original Question that was asked!

I do apologize

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
He answered the question in post 9, he was just adding that it is safe to use synthetic in a young motor.:favorites13:

He just types like I play basketball, kinda shakey.

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
My intent on the last post was not to steer off topic.
The OP apparently at some point in time deviated from FF either presently or in the future.
Post was to inform OP based on Pennzoil engine testing lab that FF conventional can be changed to partial
or full synthetic with little running time on a new engine and not have to wait until the change engine oil light is activated.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Are there big advantages of full synthetic over synthetic blends ?

Yup losing track of the Actual OP question is easy to do...

Pardon my old age!

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Semi-synthetic is like being a little bit pregnant IMHO. Choose dinosaur oil if that meets the vehicle requirements and your duty cycle, or choose a good synthetic if that is required/necessary.

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
A blend by industry standard is only 25% synthetic, maximum.
Full Major brand synthetic such as Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platimum will maintain the engine Pistons & rings much cleaner than any blend.
Do not find any reason to use a blend,
especially if a 5 gallon jug can be had for $22 to $25 range.

Weezer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've used synthetic blend in all my vehicles for the last 8 years and it's just a personal preference.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SyN

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I've used synthetic blend in all my vehicles for the last 8 years and it's just a personal preference.

Personal Preference based on what? Science or marketing? I keep an open mind, sell us on why a blend is a good option.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963