Synthetic oil or synthetic blend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personal preference doesn't have to be based on anything, nor trying to sell it to anyone else.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
okee dokee.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Boutique or Shelf bought 100% or Full Synthetic oil does not have to be used to achieve outstanding wear numbers or Eye Catching UOA...

Most of Us know it all starts with Proper Maintenance Habits and a Proper OCI for your engine design and driving habits...

What most ignore + don't understand is--->It all starts with your Air Filter! Particles that get past it end up in your oil and dirt particles contribute a very high % to Bearing wear... I take my Air Filter Maintenance Very Seriously!

Those of Us who care know the Hemi design is Very Easy on the Oil...It seems it is the MDS system that Craves and Desires Moly... As Burla has proved... I also Believe a good amount of Zinc is still very important...

I personally don't think a Full Synthetic or 100% Synthetic base is needed to take your Engine beyond 300K miles... A Good Base Oil and Robust additive package is Key! But the Owner has to do His or Her part with Proper Maintenance Schedule with all Filters and Fluids according to engine design and driving habits...

I truthfully and honestly believe there is Nothing Wrong with using a Conventional or Semi-Synthetic base oil... But neither can achieve positive results without YOUR {The Owners} help... Same goes for the Synthetic Base oils...

Unfortunately Neglect is something owners do Very Well! Although it's not a perfect world and catastrophic things do happen to Well Maintained Equipment as well! Blame the Design!!!

Once again Just my Honest and Humble Opinions and Thoughts--->Nothing Ever More!

Last edited:

Timeless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cheap maintenance is the usual response but is probably the most accurate.

Could conventional go 10k miles between changes? Sure in most traditional environments.

Does full synthetic give you more of a cushion to those 10k miles? Science tells us it should and we usually do it.

The cost of traditional oil failing us is far greater than the insurance of full synthetic.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Run 7/11 oil I don't care, just do some research and make an informed decision is what I would suggest. I can make an argument for running cheap oil even though I don't practice that in my truck. More importantly, keep that PCV clean and a good filter on there. Best way is to run a catch can, if one time you see no oil in there after your catch can interval, time to clean it or replace it.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Now! Whoo! I {Myself} NEVER said anything about oil such as 7/11 oil...

Of course 7/11s oil blender might be the same as Shell or Chevron or Mobil or Valvoline? I don't know...

Using a Top Name Brand oil with an approval from PQIA is good advice from me...

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
As with many products these days 7/11s oil is not made by 7/11 its made by a large oil company and branded 7/11 so its probably going to do just fine. Conoco makes Harley Davidson oil and the put it right in the HD bottles, if you got a big enough order I could sell RodRam oil and you would all love it :roflsquared:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
7/11 oil

Not horrible, but no Moly. Better then average tbn. It says premium right on the bottle, must be good. Shouldn't the premium be above the motor oil?

7eleve1.jpg

Last edited:

Weezer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personal Preference based on what? Science or marketing? I keep an open mind, sell us on why a blend is a good option.
I've had better engine performance bar none since using synthetic blend. I notice a lag in horsepower without it. I mix my own potion 60/40

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sorry I didn't know you had a thing going on.

OP
OP
R

ranger520

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Big Advantages? None! Maybe 2 or 3 at the most {Slight} advantages...

1. Cold Start Pumpability can be better.
2. Capability of extending your OCI out to 15K miles or more.
3. Possibly better heat handling capability.
4. Some will say an advantage in Cleaning Capability but there has been Oh So many documented statements and pictures of conventional oils being used with 200K-400K miles on motors and during tear downs parts were found to be virtually spotless...But these were documented with PROPER OCI being kept during all these miles...

Todays Conventional and Semi-Synthetic oils are Outstanding! An owner has to take into consideration Engine Design and Driving Style and Habits... As well as the Climate the auto is going to be exposed to 24/7...

Do you want to stay within the OLM-->5K-8K miles? or Extend out to 10K-15K miles?

Use whatever makes You get that Warm Fuzzy Feeling inside once the New Filter is screwed on and the Fresh Oil is poured in...

Search and find a Top Name Brand oil with a Good Amount of Moly and Zinc! Don't neglect that Air Filter nor your OCI...

Not to be noisy! But what brands are U considering?

Castrol Magnetec

Reactions: SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Let me give you some info to read!

Castrol magnatec 0w-20? | Passenger Car Motor Oil (PCMO) - Gasoline Cars/Pickups/Vans/SUVs | Bob Is The Oil Guy

It seems the 5W-20 & 0W-20 are actually Full Synthetic Base and the other viscosities are Blends...

Castrol Magantec best synthetic for the money? | Passenger Car Motor Oil (PCMO) - Gasoline Cars/Pickups/Vans/SUVs | Bob Is The Oil Guy

Castrol Magnetic vs. synthetic | Passenger Car Motor Oil (PCMO) - Gasoline Cars/Pickups/Vans/SUVs | Bob Is The Oil Guy

These are just a few discussions... I personally have never used the product...
So I won't spew out comments that I really don't know are {actual facts}...

If your going to Try the Magnetic use the 5W-20 or 0W-20 first due to the fact they are claimed to be Full Synthetic...

If You are Dead Set on a Blend? Use the 5W-30...

I will say I do know Castrols European Oils are extremely Strong and Robust! I have witnessed this through a few of my old time SRT-10 Buddies who use these oils... Since I have already performed my winter OCI with Pennzoil I will wait until my summer oil change to make my final switch...

Replied to your PM!

Last edited:

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
What would be the advantages or reasons for using synthetic blend vs group 3 full synthetic?

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What would be the advantages or reasons for using synthetic blend vs group 3 full synthetic?

less cost is the main advantage for using conventional over a blend and a blend over a full synthetic. If your going to change your oil every 3-5 k then your wasting money using anything above conventional.

Reactions: SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Exacto Mondo! Rod! & That is exactly what Ranger is doing due to his short trip driving habits...