TB is happy to go under the knife

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Throttle plate removed and now knife-edged (not pictured). Hope to polish the body itself tonight; nothing mirror-like but the boring marks are quite rough.
I don't think half-shafting is a good idea for a family DD so that will stay.
God, I love playing around with stuff like this :rockit:

Attachments

• Throttle body.jpg
    Throttle body.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
audio1der

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finished her up yesterday.
Knife edged the throttle plate, polished the inner TB body out to a pretty good shine, port matched it to the intake manifold and loctited the screws in. While I was port matching I also got rid of some nasty ridges inside the throat of the manifold.
I was under no pretense that would make more power, but it was free, took a couple hours while I had it out anyway, and can't hurt.

Started her up after an hour of battery disconnect time, no lights, no stumbles.
Feels like she wants to pull harder, breathes a little easier now. THIS is how I expected it to feel when first putting the 87mm on.
One shot shows the polished side after 2000 grit vs bored finish, another the knifed plate and the other shows the shine. If you've seen the inside of a bored TB you'd know the difference. The hone marks were thick rings inside the body you could nearly play a tune like a washboard with. I could have kept going but thought enough was enough.

Attachments

• Knife edged_polished TB.jpg
    Knife edged_polished TB.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Polished TB.jpg
    Polished TB.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Before_after.jpg
    Before_after.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hope it all works out for you. I'd be a little gunshy after reading about the DIY TB disaster yesterday. :secret:

Update: I've seen your pictures and I'm a believer--beauty! Still takes guts to tinker after the post the other day by the member who ported his own.

Last edited:
OP
OP
audio1der

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why? I just asked him to clarify what exactly he did, but my interpretation is he self-ported his own TB to 85 and half-shafted it.
I am doing neither of these.
This is an 87mm ported TB I bought new, which I can't see any benefit/gain over stock so I'm trying to maximize my returns on the $349. My worst case scenario as a result of knife-edging and a quick TB polish is no gains.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Or, a non-responsive TB, or a screw that backs out and gets injested, or....

I admire your determination--like I said above I would be a little TB mod gunshy just yet. :bawl:

Update: Glad it worked out for you.

Last edited:

HEMI-PWRD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks great! too bad your not closer, if not, I will send mine over.

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Wow! That tb looks awsome.....you did a great job.

Hornet

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You guys should see his holiday trailer,you can shave by the shine on it to,lol.
Looking good,lol.