Teeing fuel line to empty fuel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a lot of gas users on my farm. I would love to fill a 55g drum and drive it back, but sadly it's quite conspicuous and I'm not interested in paying the associated fines. So I lug tons of 5g containers.

Anyway, I've often dreamed of filling up the tank, driving back, hooking up a line to a tee and jumping the fuel pump till I've got a gallon or two left in the tank.

I haven't found a place in the supply line without what look like proprietary couplings though. Maybe someone else has or has thought about this in the past?

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are drasticLly different rules for slip tanks for gas and diesel. The diesel ones in all the diesel powered trucks are fine and completely legal. However having one full of gas usually violates the motor vehicle laws if you have more than 50 gallons of gas in a vehicle, including the fuel tank and the slip tank.

If you tee into the fuel line you could also be opening yourself up to legal issues if the tee ever leaked or the valve opened on you when you weren't using it and you spilled gas.

Also, most of the cheaper harbour freight type fuel pumps are only meant for diesel fuel as well. A 12v pump to transfer gas is usually a lot more expensive as they have to be completely protected against spark ignition.

deangtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could you do custom fuel lines with braided lines and quick disconnect an fittings? I ran braided on a Grand Prix I had. Not to difficult to make. Summit usually has all the pieces you'd need.

OP
OP
T

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you tee into the fuel line you could also be opening yourself up to legal issues if the tee ever leaked or the valve opened on you when you weren't using it and you spilled gas.

Also, most of the cheaper harbour freight type fuel pumps are only meant for diesel fuel as well. A 12v pump to transfer gas is usually a lot more expensive as they have to be completely protected against spark ignition.

I'm talking about using the trucks fuel pump to transfer the gas, teeing into the supply hose. Although I think I saw on some of the engines they are using PWM which might make that hard.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Against the law, IIRC 8 gallons max container size and something like 60 gallons total in vehicle.

Where are you that this is illegal? ridiculous!

We tote 80 gallon gasoline tanks all the time at work for detasselling machines.

I suppose high capacity gas tanks are dangerous like high capacity magazines :flipthebird:

OP
OP
T

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where are you that this is illegal? ridiculous!

We tote 80 gallon gasoline tanks all the time at work for detasselling machines.

I suppose high capacity gas tanks are dangerous like high capacity magazines :flipthebird:

You're a bit of a **** aren't you? I live in the US, where it's illegal nationwide without the proper hazmat and signage.

And no, you're totally right, 80 gallons of flammable liquid in some random tank you probably got off Craigslist isn't hazardous at all in an accident.

Sportram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4 CC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I believe federal law limits the transportation of gasoline in a pickup truck to 440 pounds carried in no more than a 8 gallon osha approved containers. the 440 pound limit includes the gas in the truck.

Last edited:

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm talking about using the trucks fuel pump to transfer the gas, teeing into the supply hose. Although I think I saw on some of the engines they are using PWM which might make that hard.

I was referring to the poster who said use a slip tank and a 12v pump.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can get DOT approved transfer tanks for gasoline larger than 8 gallons.

They are usually much more expensive than the typical tank for diesel.

TITAN has the sidekick that can be used for flammable liquids and is 15 gal. If used for flammable it legally can't be plumbed into your fuel system or have a drain plug. They have a syphon pump for sale to compliment it that can deliver something like 1gpm.

There is also a 14 gal flo n go portable gas station. It comes with a hose and syphon hand pump that also can pump at up to 1 gpm.

I believe there are other pure DOT certified flammable liquid transfer tanks, even larger. Do a Google search.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

TITAN has the sidekick that can be used for flammable liquids and is 15 gal. If used for flammable it legally can't be plumbed into your fuel system or have a drain plug. They have a syphon pump for sale to compliment it that can deliver something like 1gpm.

There is also a 14 gal flo n go portable gas station. It comes with a hose and syphon hand pump that also can pump at up to 1 gpm.

I believe there are other pure DOT certified flammable liquid transfer tanks, even larger. Do a Google search.

The problem with the Flo n Go portable one is you can't fill it while it is in the back of a truck, it needs to be removed from the bed as it is plastic and can't be grounded to the truck. Once you have 14 gallons in it there is a lot of weight to lift back into a truck.

OP
OP
T

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

50 state DOT legal. I have had a few and they are great quality.

https://www.transferflow.com/fuel-tanks/refueling-tanks

A tank being DOT legal does not mean you can legally transport it guys. ALL tanks on public highways must be DOT. There are DOT containers for nuclear waste as well, do you think you're allowed to haul that as well?

Regardless of the fact large DOT tanks obviously exist. The regulations are still as stated, 8 gallon maximum container size, and around 60 gallon total fuel without hazmat cert, signage, etc.

It's something you can be arrested for, not just a fine, which again, is why I lug 5 gallon containers despite it being a pain in the ass and the whole point of this thread.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Lol. Wow.

Btw, I just brought home two 5G oil pails full of red diesel with one little ratchet strap securing them to my flat bed.

P.S. Old guy I work with recently built a flat tank for his son in-law. Diesel. But 100 gallon.
Bolted to the truck bed and a pump to fill his main. Don't even see it under the custom toy hauler deck he also built for him.

Last edited:

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
A tank being DOT legal does not mean you can legally transport it guys. ALL tanks on public highways must be DOT. There are DOT containers for nuclear waste as well, do you think you're allowed to haul that as well?

Regardless of the fact large DOT tanks obviously exist. The regulations are still as stated, 8 gallon maximum container size, and around 60 gallon total fuel without hazmat cert, signage, etc.

It's something you can be arrested for, not just a fine, which again, is why I lug 5 gallon containers despite it being a pain in the ass and the whole point of this thread.

So what you want is to fill your truck and a couple cans and pump empty at home so you can go get more?
You must have some tough ass law cops around your place.
Here I just don't care so much. If I needed it I'd have a tank and fill it and unload it at home.
I happen to have five 5G cans of gas, two 5G cans of diesel, two 5G pails of diesel, several 5G pails of used oil, Plenty jugs and pails of good oil around here right now.
Used oil and diesel is good in the garage furnace for them cold winters.

Can you pull a Schrader valve off your injection system under hood and T into that?
Reinstall the valve and have a ball valve to attach a hose too to empty the truck. It could work. I see where your going.

Attachments

• IMAG0112.jpg
    IMAG0112.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMAG0113.jpg
    IMAG0113.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
You're a bit of a **** aren't you? I live in the US, where it's illegal nationwide without the proper hazmat and signage.

And no, you're totally right, 80 gallons of flammable liquid in some random tank you probably got off Craigslist isn't hazardous at all in an accident.

haha! Not sure being called a **** was warranted but whatever :roflsquared:

I highly recommend you get a small fire extinguisher if you don't have one if you regularly transport fuel in containers.

The flamable liquids hazmat is not difficult, the placarding is cheap and reusable. DOT approved large containers when properly secured down sit between the frame rails and lower than the cab top which makes them pretty safe in an accident. Any tank that is just held down by fear and atmosphere is a no-no.

For the T in idea, to me it sounds like a giant PITA. The fuel line should have a quick connect at the fuel rails. Get the rail end and a short piece of hose and quick connect them up and run then put it back to drive home. Carry an O-ring set with if you do this, they can be easy to booger up and you don't want to be left stranded.

These are likely your best two options if you want to change anything from your current protocol. It all depends on how much your time is worth. Getting the hazmat training has initial up front cost that you'll get back from saving time later.

OP
OP
T

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P.S. Old guy I work with recently built a flat tank for his son in-law. Diesel. But 100 gallon.
Bolted to the truck bed and a pump to fill his main.

Diesel has separate regs

So what you want is to fill your truck and a couple cans and pump empty at home so you can go get more?
You must have some tough ass law cops around your place.

Can you pull a Schrader valve off your injection system under hood and T into that?
Reinstall the valve and have a ball valve to attach a hose too to empty the truck. It could work. I see where your going.

If it was just a fine, I would just do it, it's the station "techs" that will call the cops on you for filling unapproved containers that worry me. I've had some experience with that in the past with leaded fuel :pp:

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I use -8AN braided fuel lines with a pump that's rated for 300lph@60psi. I also have a momentary toggle switch on the dash to prime fuel rails. I mention this as it sounds like something close to what you are looking for. It would be easy to install a tee and ball valve to work as you want. You can price everything you need at Summit or Jegs.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If you use more gas than you can stand to haul in 5 gallon cans, why don't you set up a storage tank with a hose and have the gas delivered in bulk?