Teeing fuel line to empty fuel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
A less expensive and labor intensive approach is you could use an AN bulkhead fitting on top of the gas tank and connect a 3/8's ss tube 3/4 down into the tank and simply connect an inline pump. This would suck out all but the last 1/4 tank or make the tube as deep as you want. This is a variation of how I originally set my OEM tank up and I used the tube as a return line directing fuel to the basket. I have a picture of the tank if interested I can post it.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The gas tank dilemma is one that doesn't have a single answer. It appears the states have different regs. Some limited to 6gal cans, some 8, some allow up to 119g with no placards, hazmat or cdl.

OP
OP
T

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The gas tank dilemma is one that doesn't have a single answer. It appears the states have different regs. Some limited to 6gal cans, some 8, some allow up to 119g with no placards, hazmat or cdl.

No, it's federal regulations. Some state are more restrictive, they cannot be less.

OP
OP
T

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use -8AN braided fuel lines with a pump that's rated for 300lph@60psi. I also have a momentary toggle switch on the dash to prime fuel rails. I mention this as it sounds like something close to what you are looking for. It would be easy to install a tee and ball valve to work as you want. You can price everything you need at Summit or Jegs.

Yea that's essentially what I want to do, just without new fuel lines, want to find a place in the oem system I can safely sneak a tee into. Might just end up pulling the line off the fuel rail or somewhere close, but I was hoping to avoid being sprayed each time (hence the tee).

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea that's essentially what I want to do, just without new fuel lines, want to find a place in the oem system I can safely sneak a tee into. Might just end up pulling the line off the fuel rail or somewhere close, but I was hoping to avoid being sprayed each time (hence the tee).

If you depressurize the system first then you don't have to worry about spray. I've drained a tank many times using the fuel pump. I generally will pull the fuel pump relay, run the engine until it dies, unthread the schrader valve from the fuel rail test port and then put a piece of hose over the test port. Then I just jump the pump relay and run the tank down.