Temperature issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So im having some odd temp flucuations. I have a 180 thermo i. It but bouncing between 208 and 224. Coolant is within spec. My first thought was clutch fan but that seems to check out, 2nd was dirty clogged up radiator but that's not bad.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to test a water pump before i just pull it apart and replace it?

Temp will actually drop when sitting at a light, which makes me think its not a pump issue

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Are you running the A/C at all? Is the A/C Condenser also clear? You know, bugs, etc..

Checked to see if you may have an air pocket in the coolant passages?
Fwiw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7-cMph3lG8

Hell, what's your air cleaner filter looking like with all the smoke I've seen some pretty plugged up ones this week. I'm serious about the condenser bit, take a hose to things with a brass fire nozzle and with the engine off and everything cold wash things down and look for the dirty water coming off. If it's clean then you goto the next basic step. Yeah, sure it could be simply a water pump, but it could be something else too. Ran the heater recently? Does it blow hot? Bet you haven't ran it in months and it could just be an air pocket there preventing coolant flow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you running the A/C at all? Is the A/C Condenser also clear? You know, bugs, etc..

Checked to see if you may have an air pocket in the coolant passages?
Fwiw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7-cMph3lG8

Hell, what's your air cleaner filter looking like with all the smoke I've seen some pretty plugged up ones this week. I'm serious about the condenser bit, take a hose to things with a brass fire nozzle and with the engine off and everything cold wash things down and look for the dirty water coming off. If it's clean then you goto the next basic step. Yeah, sure it could be simply a water pump, but it could be something else too. Ran the heater recently? Does it blow hot? Bet you haven't ran it in months and it could just be an air pocket there preventing coolant flow.

yeah, I turned it on yesterday in mid day to see how much I could get it the temp down a bit, only dropped about 10-12 degrees. I wont say its often but I have been using the heater on some late night calls and usually fire it up in the cold mornings while warming it up. This morning it was about 55 out and I ran no hotter than 212.....
The other thing that was odd when messing with it last night was once I shut it off I had a strange hiss coming from the engine somewhere, No coolant leaks so its not related to the coolant system... has me kinda puzzled

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Oh it could be a coolant leak, easily. I've seen coolant coming out of a pressurized system @ 200 degrees in a fine mist that was barely detectable.

Time to bust out an oven mitt and piece of white card stock and put it around the radiator and heater hoses and go from there IMHO.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it possible the the thermostat is starting to stick? Had this happen on my 88 Trans Am I had years ago. It would randomly overheat and then work fine. Changed the thermostat and it never happened again. Now this was back in the early 2000s on a small block Chevy but I'm assuming the tstat in the Hemi is similar?

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The easiest thing to replace is going to be a thermostat, and they're cheap. It's also the most likely thing to have failed.

Buy a new one and test it. Get a thermometer and a pan and boil some water with the thermostat suspended in it. Measure at what temperature the thermostat opens to verify that it's correct.

When you put the new thermostat in, get a vacuum coolant filler. They suck all the air out of the coolant system and then allow you to flow coolant in. It prevents air pockets in the system and they're pretty dang cheap. You can probably even rent one.

I generally don't do 50/50 on the coolant either. More like 1/3 glycol and the rest water with a bottle of Purple Ice. Unless you're in Alaska in winter you don't need 50/50.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The easiest thing to replace is going to be a thermostat, and they're cheap. It's also the most likely thing to have failed.

Buy a new one and test it. Get a thermometer and a pan and boil some water with the thermostat suspended in it. Measure at what temperature the thermostat opens to verify that it's correct.

When you put the new thermostat in, get a vacuum coolant filler. They suck all the air out of the coolant system and then allow you to flow coolant in. It prevents air pockets in the system and they're pretty dang cheap. You can probably even rent one.

I generally don't do 50/50 on the coolant either. More like 1/3 glycol and the rest water with a bottle of Purple Ice. Unless you're in Alaska in winter you don't need 50/50.

If I screw with it to that level I'm pulling all the coolant and replacing it with Evan Waterless coolant. But It still have the OEM thermo I can throw in and see while I boil test the 180 degree unit.... With 120k on the ticker I kinda want to run a flush and cleaner that actually works.. but if I'm going through this much trouble and work I might as well go all the way and replace the water pump (gives me a good look inside the system) put in the E-fan swap and the waterless coolant and know that I'm back to being good... If the inside of the coolant system looks bad I may have the radiator serviced or just replace it...
Guess I need to stop guessing and break out the checkbook and the wrenches

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so the temp will drop when standing still is this with the ac on or off? Does your truck have a clutch fan or electrics?

I ask because the AC will force the fans on or in the case of a clutch fan lock up so they are pulling air regardless of engine temp. If turning on the ac drives down the temp this leads to me look at either the fan relay for low speed if its electric, or the clutch if its a clutch driven fan.

Does it heat up when driving over 30 mph, regardless of AC being off or on.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so the temp will drop when standing still is this with the ac on or off? Does your truck have a clutch fan or electrics?

I ask because the AC will force the fans on or in the case of a clutch fan lock up so they are pulling air regardless of engine temp. If turning on the ac drives down the temp this leads to me look at either the fan relay for low speed if its electric, or the clutch if its a clutch driven fan.

Does it heat up when driving over 30 mph, regardless of AC being off or on.

Yeah, doesn't matter if the AC is on or off.... Clutch fan is also good.. I'm thinking its either a air bubble some how, if so air is getting in some where. My coolant level is good and staying the same.. If its not that it is a dirty radiator, inside or out or fowled coolant passages in the motor itself...
I was hoping for a easy fix of just the clutch fan or air but I have a feeling its more than that knowing my luck

BadRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same problem with my 180* thermostat. I bought a new one and it was back to staying below 190* at all times. And the bad thermostat was brand new. I would replace it first.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same problem with my 180* thermostat. I bought a new one and it was back to staying below 190* at all times. And the bad thermostat was brand new. I would replace it first.

I'm going to look into it this weekend.... I cant remember if I bought it from Moes or Autozone.... I think it was a cheapo from autozone and will order one from Matt... I'm hoping and guessing it will be better than autozone junk

BadRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to look into it this weekend.... I cant remember if I bought it from Moes or Autozone.... I think it was a cheapo from autozone and will order one from Matt... I'm hoping and guessing it will be better than autozone junk

I got my first one from Moe's and I guess it could even have have been mislabeled because it never saw below 200*. I found the same one on Amazon for a little cheaper and free overnight shipping the 2nd time.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got my first one from Moe's and I guess it could even have have been mislabeled because it never saw below 200*. I found the same one on Amazon for a little cheaper and free overnight shipping the 2nd time.

I believe part of putting in a 180 thermo is telling the AC fans to come on at a lower temp... I run hotter when not tuned with hemifever but still under 200....

BadRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe part of putting in a 180 thermo is telling the AC fans to come on at a lower temp... I run hotter when not tuned with hemifever but still under 200....[/QUO

Correct. And once I replaced the first thermostat all was good when tuned. I don't ever have it unturned unless it goes into the dealership for warranty work.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting... I guess they just don't make products like they used to... but I am going to start with air in the system, then take out the thermo, and keep going from there untill I find the issue....

Hopefully its something simple

BadRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting... I guess they just don't make products like they used to... but I am going to start with air in the system, then take out the thermo, and keep going from there untill I find the issue....

Hopefully its something simple
I did the same thing, but it was the t-stat, which will most likely be your issue too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk