Thinking about deleting cats.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram6169

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Good evening everybody, I'm thinking about taking my cats off my 2013 5.7. I've already got the custom hemifever tune and a super 10. What are some pros and cons with doing this?

Thanks in advance

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Con: when they get you, it will cost you the same as putting the v10 in it, what would be a better choice.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good evening everybody, I'm thinking about taking my cats off my 2013 5.7. I've already got the custom hemifever tune and a super 10. What are some pros and cons with doing this?

Thanks in advance

Less back pressure - shifts the power curve to the right. You might feel like your truck lost a little bit of bottom end TQ. Tuning and proper headers will probably rectify that. As long as your tuner will shut off the trouble codes that your ECU will throw, there's really no other cons besides actual emissions going up.

Pro's: less weight, and capable of more exhaust flow (higher power output potential).

Exhaust will be louder too (could be a pro or con, personal preference).

You'll likely face some sort of major fine if you're *actually* caught with disabled emissions control devices.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Removing cats will get you about 8hp/tq to the wheels. The exhaust is going to be a good bit louder, and you will smell fuel through the exhaust. Hemifever will take care of any engine lights in the dash, but if your inspection shop does a visual inspection, they can fail you for not having cats on the truck.

OP
OP
R

Ram6169

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Removing cats will get you about 8hp/tq to the wheels. The exhaust is going to be a good bit louder, and you will smell fuel through the exhaust. Hemifever will take care of any engine lights in the dash, but if your inspection shop does a visual inspection, they can fail you for not having cats on the truck.

So I took them off and immeadiaty regret my decision, sounds horrible, when it hits a high RPM is all broken up and popping. Putting them back on asap

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
so with no tune is it as simple as o2 sims?

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I took them off and immeadiaty regret my decision, sounds horrible, when it hits a high RPM is all broken up and popping. Putting them back on asap

What do you have done to your exhaust?

I know I had ARH LT on my old truck, no cats, and Magnaflow cat-back 16869 (or whatever) and it sounded killer. No drone to speak of. Worst part was a louder tick, but not unbearable.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With a super 10, it's like almost having straight pipe IIRC

OP
OP
R

Ram6169

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What do you have done to your exhaust?

I know I had ARH LT on my old truck, no cats, and Magnaflow cat-back 16869 (or whatever) and it sounded killer. No drone to speak of. Worst part was a louder tick, but not unbearable.

I just have the super 10, it almost sounds like a baby rattle is in there when I stomp on it. Thinking about some high flow cats.

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just have the super 10, it almost sounds like a baby rattle is in there when I stomp on it. Thinking about some high flow cats.

Thats why. The Super10. IMO, flowmasters sound like ass with anything done exhaust related. I personally do not like FM at all on the Hemi but thats just me.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats why. The Super10. IMO, flowmasters sound like ass with anything done exhaust related. I personally do not like FM at all on the Hemi but thats just me.

Agreed. I had the Cherrybomb equivalent of that muffler on my truck. And I liked it right up until I done the Longtubes with no cats. Once I did that set-up. It sounded like mortal hell. I regretted doing the Longtubes into I could get the Magnaflow 14" installed.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
High flow cats really aren't worth the money unless you are getting them with a set of longtubes. If you don't like it without cats, I would just throw the stock cats back on.