Thinking out loud....discuss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
I'm bouncing around other ideas for my motor then the heads/cam/Magnuson idea.
Started thinking about what's killing these transmissions too. I'm betting that these high stall converters are a big part of the problem...hitting right in the heart of the torque peak on a weak trans is just asking for trouble. Adding a positive displacement blower to that would make it even worse.
So....since I'm not building a drag truck and don't really need that hard hit down low...why not move the torque peak out as well as bring in the power a little slower?

I'm thinking stock heads and cam (for now, just to see how it works), a 6.1 intake manifold and an intercooled Procharger kit. Maybe ditching the P1SC and moving up a hair to the D1SC. The centrifigul won't hit as hard as the Magnuson and the 6.1 intake will be more of a mid-top end performer. Keep the stock 2600 stall but get a better converter anyway. The 4:10 gears will still give it plenty of go off the line but it'll really shine in the midrange which is honestly where we spend most of our time driving anyway.

Discuss...

joeg45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Aww man not a drag truck lol but i thought the 6.1 intake manifold needed alot of modification main one being the TB for our 5.7

But me personally im wondering how a nag1 trans would fit up to our trucks or how muchmodification it would need

OP
OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
The 6.1 manifold bolts right up to a 4th Gen. Obviously the TB is in a different location but that's a very minor thing far as I'm concerned. Won't take more than a few hours to reroute the plumbing. It's a high RPM breather in NA form....I need to read up on how boost changes it's characteristics.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
It doesnt matter how you look at it, a blower under the hood of a truck with an aggressive driver is going to be trouble for your transmission. The instant shock of power when the converter flashes to 3k or higher isnt what has been causing all the transmission failures. I will agree that anything over 3200 is going to build more heat which can cause a problem, but otherwise, it is a weak 4th gear and the 2p downshift that makes it tough to go that far with these trucks.