Thoughts on keeping a magnet on your differential.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fishman1113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got to thinking about the magnet idea that some of you all use to collect some of the metal flakes before changing fluid. Is there any reason not to leave a magnet on there all the time? I have one that I picked up the other day, right next to my drain plug. I am changing fluid this weekend. But was thinking about it. Why not leave it on there all the time? I know that it could come off so could that cause any issues if it did? Maybe the collected metal bits could clump and cause issues? Not sure just thought I'd bring up the topic and see what you all thought.
e84fa412431fa7483ee5d585d9f9984a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought that the diff allready had a magnet somplace at the bottom, I could be wrong. It's a good idea I think.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
All depends if the magnet itself is strong enough to actually hold metal shavings/particles through the thick metal @ the bottom of the housing.

Only real way to find out is @ the time of your next service: Remove the cover to inspect the area where the magnet is supposedly trying to hold the metal shavings.

Ideal positions would possibly: Very Strong Magneticic drain plug & dipstick.

My 01 F250 PSD had a very large/strong round magnet attached to the (Inside) of cover itself! Worked amazingly well!

Last edited:

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I could be totally wrong but if the magnet is sticking wouldn't that mean the entire housing is magnetized? Thus the metal shavings wouldn't necessarily clump up just at the magnet?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I thought that the diff allready had a magnet somplace at the bottom, I could be wrong. It's a good idea I think.

There is, it's inside at the bottom of the housing. There's no need to add another magnet.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fun fact: you can't stop a magnetic field, you can only shield against it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963