Throttle body on daily driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

11shagot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know there are 1000 threads already out there about the 87 throttle body, but my question is, is this mod worth the money on a daily driver. I don't race my truck, and I never have any intention of putting it on a track. Does this mod produce any real world useful gains? Meaning, does it help with anything like towing, fuel economy, or passing at highway speeds? What reasonably priced mods would you guys recommend for these types of gains? I currently run 89 fuel, and have switch over to RP oil and filter. I also have switched the muffler for a better sound and more free flow. I am preparing to instal the S&B CAI along with my catch can as soon as it arrives. Next on my current list is going to be a trinity tuner. Will these mods help me at all with the gains I am trying to achieve? Please don't give the b.s. answers of "go to smaller tires," or "keep your foot out of it," or my favorite, " if you want fuel economy then you should have bought a car!" These are all obviously true, but I am looking for ways to optimize the truck I have and love, and there's is absaultaly nothing wrong with wanting a truck, but also wanting to milk as much fuel economy out of it as is available. Thanks for all the help!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When you get your tuner, I think there is a special tune that Sean(Hemifever) has that is designed for greater fuel economy. A larger throttle body will work in concert with other mods that you have to increase the available power for you. Usually the three most common options for better performance are:
Exhaust
CAI
Tuner
There are a host of other things you can do but if you're not interested in going to the track, I think the above 3 are sufficient for your application. Better mileage-you're going to get mostly the answers you said you did want to hear. Driving style is the most important piece of the puzzle.
Jay

OP
OP

11shagot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As I said, I def know that all those things play a huge part in fuel economy. I'm in no way disappointed with my truck economy as is, it's just the "if 18 is good then 19 is better" mentality. I'm not looking for a super fix or anything like that, just ways to stretch my $ both in performance and at the pump.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put an intake and exhaust on mine and didn't really notice any difference besides sound.

OP
OP

11shagot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put an intake and exhaust on mine and didn't really notice any difference besides sound.
I have always been told that an intake is pretty well useless without a tuner as the trucks computer will compensate for the added airflow and put you right back where you started.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed Moe's ported TB and gained about 0.5 mpg.
Love the improved throttle response!

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
There is a guy on the other forum that has a heavily modified ram making HellCat power. Running stock throttle body.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A ported throttle body won't do squat on a stock daily driver.

photonburst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pull Ya has it right, my truck has responded both in power and mpg terms to each incremental mod I have done. My stock truck was sluggish with the 3.21s in hill country but now I can generally drive in D (well, lock 8th out, horrible gear for around here). By not having to hit the go pedal as much on the inclines, yeah mileage has gone up.

I have the 87, but if I had to do it over again, I would go tuner first, then CAI, then exhaust, then tb. The GY stock tires were replaced with 55 series Toyos and that made me smile too. It all helps, imho. Have to try the fan delete/180* later this summer.

Enjoy the Hemi.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
it is an electric fan and a lower temp T-stat

Not an expert but guessing the belt does not have to turn a fan if it is done electrically and the t-stat is simply opens at a lower temp ?

Someone would need to confirm this

photonburst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
it is an electric fan and a lower temp T-stat

Not an expert but guessing the belt does not have to turn a fan if it is done electrically and the t-stat is simply opens at a lower temp ?

Someone would need to confirm this

Close, the newer trucks delete a mechanical fan (the big one at the rad) and rely on the electric AC fan (which most would say is a beast in its own right).

The kick is one is advised to have the tuner set the AC fan to operate at a lower-than-factory temperature threshold. Since the OP, like myself, has a 2014, the ECM is a non-issue for the tuner to work.

OP
OP

11shagot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have three questions on this. 1. If the electric fan is more than sufficient, then why did mopar even put the motor mounted fan on in the first place? 2. Is this still sufficient if truck is used for towing? 3. What kind of gains do you get by removing the fan?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got a Tuner and a 180 stat installed. No need to screw around with removing fans. The HP gain is so minuscule it's not worth it.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Does anyone know what size throttle body comes on the 6.4 in the 2500?

OP
OP

11shagot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are not changing fans, then what is the advantage of going to the 180 thermostat?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hemi's run better cool. I think the stock stat is about 192(?) and most go for the 180. If you have a lower stat your engine will run cooler and allow the tuner to put a little more timing into your tune after you get a tuner. At least this is my understanding---someone with a lot more knowledge might have a better explanation.
Jay

J3FF3RSON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
To answer your question:

I've seen a huge difference in throttle response, with and without a tuner. When I put the pedal to the floor to pass someone, I no longer have to wait on this behemoth to think about what it wants to do - it just does it.

Granted, a tuner will significantly reduce throttle lag itself, but having both a ported throttle body and a tuner will make you smile.