Throttle only opening 86%

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone else using torque app or have a tuner that shows throttle usage? Mine is only showing 86% and I'd really like the additional 14%

I've tried the old method of calibration, key on, no start, 3 full throttle presses, key off and it's still the same.

Any ideas?

e23f89c683b9ae4330446062e61c36a8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Ramrt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have used a sprint throttle control boost in my last 3 vehicles. All of the power comes in at part throttle instead of full throttle. It has 3 settings, stock, street, and race. In the race settle the throttle response is instantaneous. the street setting is an improvement over stock. That would solve your problem as you would be at full power a lot earlier than 86%.

pt1655

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
great

Ramrt1,
Thanks for the info on the Sprint throttle booster! I ordered one today. It should help towing our trailer a lot. This is the kind of info our members need; throttle response (or lack thereof) has been a continuing burr in our sides for probably most of us! I'll post when I've got it installed and see how it does.
Pete

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
a diablo tuner can adjust the throttle response also. Not sure if its the same thing as a sprint booster.

But that isn't the same thing as the throttle body opening 100%

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From what I was told it'll never show 100%. Asked that when I first bought my tuner. Highest I've seen for my THR Blade is 76% and some change.

OP
OP

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From what I was told it'll never show 100%. Asked that when I first bought my tuner. Highest I've seen for my THR Blade is 76% and some change.

Weird, I wonder why.

I drove a 2016 the other day, and felt stronger at full throttle. Even the intake sounded a bit more. I didnt have my bluetooth dongle to see what that one was doing.:flame:

BigDogg795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Weird, I wonder why.

I drove a 2016 the other day, and felt stronger at full throttle. Even the intake sounded a bit more. I didnt have my bluetooth dongle to see what that one was doing.:flame:

I'm not a mechanic, but for some reason the first thought that came to mind was the computer reflecting the area occupied by the butterfly itself (i.e. 100% only attainable with a pure open pipe...the butterfly would occupy say 14% of the area thus 86% being 'max').

But I'm probably wrong lmao. :roflsquared:

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there anybody who knows how a modern gas engine works?
The question and the answers explaining a lot in this forum. And then playing around with engine settings and tuners. I just shake my head.
I spare the technical information about it. Nobody would believe it anyway and nobody is interested in the truth also.
Not to be rude, but most people deserve, what they ask for.
Sorry for the answer, but that's all, what comes to my mind.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
The question and the answers explaining a lot in this forum. And then playing around with engine settings and tuners. I just shake my head.
I spare the technical information about it. Nobody would believe it anyway and nobody is interested in the truth also.

You have nothing constructive to add to the forum whatsoever. Why are you here, seriously? You apparently know everything, so there is no benefit for you to be here.

OP
OP

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, please elaborate. You came out here and made such a statement, please back it up. Enlighten all of us on how a modern engine works.

I posted on here also to see if there's anyone else that has an app so I can see what they're throttle position is at wide open throttle. I've seen some different fluctuations on the maximum.

You may think you know everything about automotive but I'm sure there's plenty of people that can just walk circles around you. We're supposed to be Ram Community. If you don't have anything positive to add here, please don't open your trap. Nobody wants to read your nonsense.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Please do enlighten us. All knowing one.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
back to the OP problem. this may sound unbelievably simple, could it have anything to do with a floor mat impeding full throttle? I can't tell if this is a fly-by-wire throttle app.

Last edited:

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The TB is already at 24% when fully "closed" ? we've all looked at a TB, right? even an old carb...the blade never sits at 0 deg, there is alwasy some angle, even when the engine is not running.

also its possible:
76. XX % is = 90 deg.

The blade has an initial angle of 14 deg when fully closed, and the 76 % is actually degrees and, well 14 + 76= 90
Maybe thats it, the % is actually degrees.

My car tuner never did answer that particular question or many others either.

Maybe Hemifever can enlighten us.

then again this may be of no consequence to tuners, in thier ability to tune.

OP
OP

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought about that too. And I'm not sure if the truck ECU looks at throttle position relative to the throttle body or relative to its full path of travel.

From a programming perspective, it would seem like it would be from its path of travel being fully closed to as far open as it goes

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Ive ran the torque app on a few different cars and it seems the ones without a throttle cable show 76 -86%. My wifes cavvy shows 100% @ WOT so that throws most of the theorys out the window... Though my newer car shows 86%. So it's just showing the wrong sensor

Last edited:

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive ran the torque app on a few different cars and it seems the ones without a throttle cable show 76 -86%. My wifes cavvy shows 100% @ WOT so that throws most of the theorys out the window... Though my newer car shows 86%.

I dont think your wifes Cavvy? changes anything in this discussion. different OEMs use different paramaters/ math for thier factory tuning. 100% could simply be 100% of the available travel:

76 deg + 100% of the avalailabe ( parameter) range.

Last edited:

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hopefully Chris will come back and tell us the real answer but I imagine that it is able to achieve the desired air/fuel ratio by only opening 86%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've tried the old method of calibration, key on, no start, 3 full throttle presses, key off and it's still the same.

All this did was reset the oil change reminder. Nothing else.