Ticking noise on 1st start up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cb302@hotmail

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2016 RAM Big Horn 5.7, 40k miles, that on start up after the truck has been sitting over night. It will tick (not very loud) for about 20 seconds then stop. It just started in the last month, I've always used Mobil 1 5w-20 full synthetic with WIX filter for synthetic oil. I live in Atlanta, Ga so it's hot out now. Truck run's great, oil looks fine also. Any one else run into this? Anything I need to start to look for? Or just normal?

Thanks!

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Good ole hemi tick. Some have used Redline to quite the tick

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

cb302@hotmail

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So that's what it is huh?
I thought I would've gotten that from day 1?
It only does for a few second's and not every time, just raises concerns when you hear something, you've never heard before on your truck.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny mine will tell me its time for an oil change that way. The start ups will gradually get louder then Ill drag her in for some oil and its gone.

chilliin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is not the Hemi Tick. The Hemi tick is a constant ticking, sounds more like broken exhaust manifold bolts.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
It is not the Hemi Tick. The Hemi tick is a constant ticking, sounds more like broken exhaust manifold bolts.

Not in my experience. The three hemis I've had ticked like the valve train never had oil for about 30 seconds after initial start up when they had sat overnight or longer. The 03 would occasionally puff oil smoke at start up like a 350 chevy with bad valve guide seals. The 05 eventually had the manifold tick, loud at start up and under acceleration but quieter after it warmed up.

crzywyteboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not in my experience. The three hemis I've had ticked like the valve train never had oil for about 30 seconds after initial start up when they had sat overnight or longer. The 03 would occasionally puff oil smoke at start up like a 350 chevy with bad valve guide seals. The 05 eventually had the manifold tick, loud at start up and under acceleration but quieter after it warmed up.

I think I have the manifold tick. Exactly as you describe it

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Lifters are dry at startup, likely lifter tick and why Redline does what it does. Super high Moly coats anything that is hot and under pressure, IE any ticking condition. This is the only thing that coats metal parts when the oil ISN'T there. It doesn't coat the metal pieces that don't touch each other, it only coats the "tick". This is why every over the shelf company uses Moly except Valvoline or RP. Mobil one is great and it has average moly, works in 99% of the cars/trucks out there. Clearly, aint working in yours. Try Redline and a Royal Purple filter, give it 500 miles, it takes a while for the moly to plate. Read this on Moly. It is hard to believe how many of these threads are being started lately, from every week to now every day. Sad state of Ram if you ask me. I hope they figure this knocking crap out.

Anyhow OP Redline has over 10 times the moly content of any other oil except Shaeffers Supreme and Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40. Redline still has much more moly then these oils, but they are also high moly oils. Motul is a redline clone, another high moly oil.

OP
OP
C

cb302@hotmail

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did notice that it's pass time to change the oil. The change oil light came on a few day's ago about when I heard it. I've been checking out the Redline and Amsoil and Royal Purple. Usually I change it when the oil indicator say's change oil soon, but I haven't had time and now it came on and said oil change required, but it has oil and isn't low. I'll see if that fix's the issue and post results. I hope it's not a manifold bolt, but I'll check them also.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Manifold bolt is way better then lifter tick. Guys are wiping out their cams weekly here, big dollar fix downstream from hemi lifter tick.

OP
OP
C

cb302@hotmail

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
True!
I doesn't sound really bad, but I would think I would hear the tick all the time if the lifter is not priming up?

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
It could be the exhaust bolt.. You'll need to do some investigating - have someone start it as you act like a monkey climbing around the front of your rig..

But hard to say - cause they both do the same thing as your describe.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I'm going to switch to redline 5w-30 next oil change. Found it on Amazon.

hemisport5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run pennzoil Ultra platinum 5w20 and I haven't had that tick since.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
True!
I doesn't sound really bad, but I would think I would hear the tick all the time if the lifter is not priming up?

Just when you think it is lifter it turns out to be exhaust bolts, and other times you think it is exhaust bolts and it turns out to be lifters. Check exhaust first, get some one inch hose and put it up to your ear and each bolt when it is ticking, see if you can nail it down. Also just look at the bolts upclose, many times you will see it. When you ask the question the way you asked, it is like you want your hemi tick to follow logic, that just isn't the case most of the time. The fact is those lifters are dry only at start-up, so many guys have lifter tick on a little at startup. The oil gets there and the tick goes away. But then you ask, is it that big of deal? Yes, it is a big deal because those lifters are creating force downstream in the Cam lobs. High moly oil is cheap insurance, even if you don't have the tick. The fact if there is only ONE element oil companies use for dry starts, and if you guessed moly on that you would be correct. There are some experimental elements out there such as titanium, but moly's plating ability is well known and use is widespread in oil formulations. Everything else in the oil drains with the oil, zinc, calcium, etc. Only moly plates on the surface of metal pieces that cause friction to each other. So why aren't all oils high moly? Because I aint running stuff, is the only reason. If I was running stuff I would declare a national holiday on Moly's behalf. and high ppm would be mandatory in every oil. Clearly many times running high moly Redline was necessary to get rid of tick of oils that had lesser moly. The board has proven this many times over.

OP
OP
C

cb302@hotmail

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the insight! I'm going to look for the Redline or Amzoil tomorrow (i don't want to wait to order it, needs a oil change tomorrow) I know Mobil one and Royal Purple are available OTC. If anyone know's where I can go and get either Redline or Amsoil close to Braselton, Ga. let me know. I've checked and can't find any place. Burla (or anoyone) what would be your take on adding Liquid Moly to an oil that is not high in Moly?

OP
OP
C

cb302@hotmail

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On a side note, didn't hear it today when I started the truck.. SMH