Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance

Time For A Change

This is a discussion on Time For A Change within the Engine & Performance forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
After a short drive yesterday afternoon all I can say is... DAMN!!! It's a totally different truck. Throttle response, power, ...

Like Tree24Likes

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2017, 08:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Ram Year: 2017
Engine: Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
After a short drive yesterday afternoon all I can say is... DAMN!!!

It's a totally different truck. Throttle response, power, shifting, sound...it's all bad ass.

I'll give it a good test drive today and try to get some vids to post up as well.
smiley3303 likes this.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

MADDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012
Engine: 6.7
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
After a short drive yesterday afternoon all I can say is... DAMN!!!

It's a totally different truck. Throttle response, power, shifting, sound...it's all bad ass.

I'll give it a good test drive today and try to get some vids to post up as well.

I'm glad you chose to stay with Ram instead of walk away . Congrats on the new again truck .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The DodgeFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ram Year: '12CC / '15RCSB
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Since I purchased my 2017 CTD at the end of March, I've experienced 5 CEL's associated with random misfires and DPF regen failures. In one case the vehicle went into limp mode while on a road trip and left me on the side of the road awaiting road service.

After a cool down and clearing that specific code, I was back on the road and had no further issues until another random misfire code popped up 200+ miles later.

The analysis by several dealer technicians over a series of visits and code clearing has been inconclusive and no root cause has been found however the techs consensus was the DPF system has an intermittent fault. My neighbor had the same problem after buying his truck new in 2016.

So, it is time for a change related to the DPF system, specifically, removing the system.

This Friday I will turn the truck over to the shop for a DPF system removal, EGR cooler and throttle valve delete with new turbo back piping to the stock muffler, a custom tune and some transmission tuning as well.

I'll let ya know how it goes.
Love your way of thinking!

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff88/Ahmed_Janahi/rGsig_zps8ea73632.jpg
Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Super Moderator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpK2ckRd2gk
CTD likes this.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Super Moderator

smiley3303, CTD and Devin1349 like this.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Super Moderator

CTD likes this.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

Super Moderator

4 tunes available by switch:

1. Mild upgrade - 30HP

2. Tow tune - About 50 HP but more about trans tuning, exhaust brake and Tow/Haul mode settings

3. Race tune - Rollin' coal now at around 80HP. WOT generates some tire slip at 2nd to 3rd gear change. I can see the need for a BDS transmission upgrade soon.

4. Not sure what to call this one but it's supposedly 120HP and I'm gonna try it today. Maybe when I'm done I'll have a name for it.

The Edge CTS 2 tuner has a lot of cool features that I am just beginning to explore. Yesterday I configured the gauge package to my liking. Outside gauges, in clockwise direction, from upper right are:

1. Throttle pressure percenage
2. Torque output
3. Transmission fluid temperature
4. Battery voltage
5. Transmission gear indicator and torque converter lock status
6. Engine coolant temperature

The center gauge set up, from top to bottom, is:

1. Engine exhaust gas temperature
2. Boost
3. Speedometer

I calibrated the CTS with my tire size and the truck's PCM shows the speed with no changes. I verified I have a 1 MPH difference (slower) on the OEM gauge vs. the CTS gauge. Triple verified by using an independent GPS app. No change in deviation observed prior to doing the mods.

I may have a chance to measure unloaded highway MPG later this next week so will post up results. Best to date unloaded highway MPG is 21.5 and mixed is 17.5 MPG.
CTD likes this.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

CTD

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
4 tunes available by switch:

1. Mild upgrade - 30HP

2. Tow tune - About 50 HP but more about trans tuning, exhaust brake and Tow/Haul mode settings

3. Race tune - Rollin' coal now at around 80HP. WOT generates some tire slip at 2nd to 3rd gear change. I can see the need for a BDS transmission upgrade soon.

4. Not sure what to call this one but it's supposedly 120HP and I'm gonna try it today. Maybe when I'm done I'll have a name for it.

The Edge CTS 2 tuner has a lot of cool features that I am just beginning to explore. Yesterday I configured the gauge package to my liking. Outside gauges, in clockwise direction, from upper right are:

1. Throttle pressure percenage
2. Torque output
3. Transmission fluid temperature
4. Battery voltage
5. Transmission gear indicator and torque converter lock status
6. Engine coolant temperature

The center gauge set up, from top to bottom, is:

1. Engine exhaust gas temperature
2. Boost
3. Speedometer

I calibrated the CTS with my tire size and the truck's PCM shows the speed with no changes. I verified I have a 1 MPH difference (slower) on the OEM gauge vs. the CTS gauge. Triple verified by using an independent GPS app. No change in deviation observed prior to doing the mods.

I may have a chance to measure unloaded highway MPG later this next week so will post up results. Best to date unloaded highway MPG is 21.5 and mixed is 17.5 MPG.
I remember when I tuned my 14. I could not even believe I was setting in the same truck. My stock 2004 5.9 HO Cummins would run circles around my 14 in stock form. Just the sound and not having to smell that cat piss coming out of the exhaust alone made it all worth it me. Also I was not to keen on my Cummins breathing it's own farts.

I really wish I had not sold mine but I had a bad performance addiction, that was costing me far to much money haha. That and I did not really tow enough to require a diesel.

I'm assuming you went with EFI live. Who's tuning did you go with?

Has far as the trans goes, the 68 Rfe tends to like to burn those overdrive clutches with the WOT downshifts on the highways. Has long has you don't run over a 60hp tune, manually down shift before passing on the highway and don't do boosted launches. They tend to hold up just fine with good trans tuning. It really all come's down to the right foot more than it does what tune your running, on how long your trans holds up.

You probably won't see a huge difference in the mileage, you may gain 1-2mpg. Even though the DPF system is a POS IMO they do have the fuel mileage pretty down pat compared to per def models. The higher hp tunes usually give the best mileage due to the advanced timing.

Congrats on the new ride. I'm sure it feels like one after that couple hundred pounds of headache fell off the truck.

Sold: 2014 2500 Tradesman, G56, Valair DD, EFI Live CSP4 via PPEI, Hardway Compounds, 50% over nozzles, Sinister egr delete, Pusher intake horn, ARP 625's, Flow Pro 5" tbe, AFe CAI, Autometer Boost/Pyro, 2" Daystar level, Fox 2.0 shocks 4 corners, 295-70-18 Copper St Max

Last edited by CTD; 07-02-2017 at 09:48 PM.
CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Yes, I went with EFI Live. I have the name of the tuner here somewhere.

Thanks for the tips on managing the 68RFE under a tune package.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:32 AM   #20 (permalink)

Name: steve

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: hemi 5.7
i am a bit green with envy. if i could delete in jersey, i would have the cummins also. enjoy the "new" motor !
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote