Timing chain error code?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey guys,

Did a cam swap(another thread on that to come.

I did the timing without taking off the oil pump..i should have just taken it off to get it perfect.

It starts, I haven't driven it yet, only getting an IAT error code. If my timing is off will it throw a code?

I only ask because I can't tell if the valves are tapping right now or if it's my imagination.

I can't hear it very well due to being just straight headers right now(it sounds insane) I had to cut my exhaust piping because the header collector bolts were insanely rusted.

Really don't want to drive it around if my valves are tapping..just right to the shop since I don't feel like taking it apart again.

Will it throw a code or two if my timing is off?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
IAT as in intake air temperature? Did you plug back in the IAT sensor?

If timing is off you will get a check engine light, likely for cam/crank correlation.

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
yeah its like a p0113 code, its plugged in, ill find the source eventually.

I feel like im hearing a tapping but with the open headers its near impossible to really ID. Not sure if the hemi tick is more pronounced with the new cam or what, ill have to go get a automotive stethoscope or something.

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
no other opinions guys? I'm going to try to get a video for everyone, if its even audible over the exhaust. I was expecting charonblk to have an opinion!

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
no other opinions guys? I'm going to try to get a video for everyone, if its even audible over the exhaust. I was expecting charonblk to have an opinion!

Headers are going to cause more engine noise when compared to factory manifolds. Have you driven it or revved the engineer above 3k?

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Headers are going to cause more engine noise when compared to factory manifolds. Have you driven it or revved the engineer above 3k?
Well I have headers prior to the cam swap. I reved it up once to 4k while it was sitting there, nothing catastrophic happened

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I drove it, it's in limp mode. It will rev up a little past 3k in drive but there is no power. I'm not sure if that's due to the p0113 code. I need a new sensor since everything is plugged in

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So I drove it, it's in limp mode. It will rev up a little past 3k in drive but there is no power. I'm not sure if that's due to the p0113 code. I need a new sensor since everything is plugged in

Are you sure that's the only code being set? If the pcm is limiting power there will be a code. Is it a factory cam?

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well after driving it, it decided to throw the p0016 code, crankshaft camshaft misalignment. Not sure why it didn't throw that when I revved the engine up in park. Going to drop it off at a shop to fix it and check the valves. I'm praying the valves weren't hitting since they were brand new with new heads.

Shouldn't have been lazy and just taken the oil pump off to get it perfect. Oh well, I tried. Just don't have the time to fix it