TIPM help, OBD II code P0481

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sunkiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello Board:

Newbie here, and would like to seek information on TIPM repair and replacement option.

I currently own a 2011 RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4X4. I bought my truck to my local mechanic to address a Check Engine Light P0481 (Cooling Fan 2 Control Circuit) code and according to my mechanic, the radiator fan was running constantly and burned out. He replaced the fan but its still triggering the CODE. My mechanic stated that all the relays checked out fine, and therefore now pointing at the TIPM as the culprit.

Understanding how expensive a new TIPM is, what is my option? and wondering if anyone here had experience similar problem, may be I can locate a USED TIPM from a junk yard and have the dealership reprogram it. ($175+ the cost of a used TIPM) Thanks in advance.

My truck has been out of service for a month, and really would like to get this problem resolved. Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Anthony.

Dodge4x4810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It is hard to say without looking at it. When I fix a customer's car, I never go by what another mechanic said, in case they made a mistake or missed something. So, I always start from scratch. First thing to rule out, your truck is not reading hot is it? That will make the fans stay on all the time, if so. But, if not...

The PCM requests cooling fan operation through the CAN into the TIPM. The TIPM grounds the relay for the fans, the Relay then provides power to the fan motor. Again, it is very hard to say without personally looking at it. It is very possible that the TIPM is a culprit and causing a short somewhere to power, making constant power to the fans. It can also be a PCM problem, but I have rarely seen, nor worked on a Ram with a PCM problem.

I am also confused, he said the fans were running constantly before. Is this what is still happening? Or is it just triggering the code?

OP
OP
S

sunkiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is hard to say without looking at it. When I fix a customer's car, I never go by what another mechanic said, in case they made a mistake or missed something. So, I always start from scratch. First thing to rule out, your truck is not reading hot is it? That will make the fans stay on all the time, if so. But, if not...

The PCM requests cooling fan operation through the CAN into the TIPM. The TIPM grounds the relay for the fans, the Relay then provides power to the fan motor. Again, it is very hard to say without personally looking at it. It is very possible that the TIPM is a culprit and causing a short somewhere to power, making constant power to the fans. It can also be a PCM problem, but I have rarely seen, nor worked on a Ram with a PCM problem.

I am also confused, he said the fans were running constantly before. Is this what is still happening? Or is it just triggering the code?

Yes, the fan is still running during cold start, with or without A/C on, basically, once the car is started the fan will not shut off no matter what like its hooking up to a 12V constant.

To whom has similar symptom, I have found a place who can repair TIPM for $275. with 1 year guarantee, its still better than paying $700 for a new unit from MOPAR Parts. or $1000 at the stealership. We shall see if it fixes the problem.

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just got this code on my 11
I cleared it but am now wondering.

Should fans come on with a/c no matter what temp?

Now have to determine if fans even working.

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So i replaced relay by horn.

Fan comes on for 10 seconds then shuts off and throws code. Been testing by turnning on ac

If i reset code same thing. Fan kicks on then off and code triggers

Any thought

Truck runs fine and never warm

Do these fans have 2 speeds?

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Anything. I also noticed my fan has 3 wires comming in. But the actuall fan side of connector is only a 2 wire?

How could it be 2 speed with only 2 wires.

rockie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
emc sent more power to the fan been having same trouble and can't find why

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Had exact same issue on my 11. I bought a new relay and nothing
Ended up getting a tipm onlim from tipm rebuilders i think. Was like 500 bucks snd fixed issue. If it does not. You can send back for a small fee

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
everyone with a TIPM should watch this just so you know what happens and how to fix it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
This may not apply to this issue

After repairing an issue & clearing a code, sometimes you have to do a few duty cycles.
Start, drive, shut off, start, drive ETC

for the CPU to acknowledge that everything is ok again