Torque Management?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is torque management in our trucks? I just got my tune updated, and I got two for 93 octane, one for everyday driving, and one for when I'm towing my camper. The tow tune has "torque management" tweaks in it. That's cool and all, I just don't know what torque management refers to when it comes to these trucks. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Torque management softens the transition between shifts to keep it from being too jerky for the average person, although we like the firm shifts, i.e. shift kits. Interesting fact: On the 03 Hemi it can be eliminated by unhooking one wire, now mine just about snaps your neck when shifting and very noticeable at WOT.

OP
OP
nickpohlaandp

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does using the torque management go easier on the trans since the shifts are smoother? That would make sense, but there's a lot of crap that doesn't make sense and is still true, so I gotta ask.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Actually, a hard/quick shift is better than a soft shift on the transmission because of the amount of friction time on the clutch. At least this was how it was explained to me, made sense.

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Actually, a hard/quick shift is better than a soft shift on the transmission because of the amount of friction time on the clutch. At least this was how it was explained to me, made sense.

Yep, I sure wish we could do transmission adjustments on our 8-speeds like that, but not yet unfortunately :(

YouNotCooking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would ask what that means from the tuner. Tq Management means a lot things ranging from tranny setting to ABS, to timing. Lots of stuff, it wouldn't hurt to check with whoever wrote your tune.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi

Easier on the tranny, harder on the u-joints. U-joints are cheap.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A faster shift is somewhat better for the transmission as mentioned above it keeps the friction plates from wearing prematurely, although they usually last in the 100k mile range as designed.

On the flip side as mentioned already everything attached down the line, differentials, joints, bushings, axles, bearings are not designed for the "shock" of a hard shift. They are usually all balanced with the transmission to be smooth and quiet.

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would ask what that means from the tuner. Tq Management means a lot things ranging from tranny setting to ABS, to timing. Lots of stuff, it wouldn't hurt to check with whoever wrote your tune.

How do you figure timing is controlled by torque mgmt??

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the 8spd trucks, I know the transmission actually shifts lightning fast compared to the 545 and 65rfe transmissions. The TM can mean a multitude of things, but specifically it has to deal with timing, throttle closure and fueling between shifts on the 8spds. There could be more but that's what I have found so far. With that in mind the trans can shift extremely fast without a lot of torque behind it which could hurt the driveline parts down the road and the consumer can now be more "comfortable" with a "smooth" shift schedule.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I had one of the engineers that was in on the torque management end of things tell me the 4X4's apparently have more power pulled on the shifts then the 2wd trucks.It's done to save the transfer case apparently.I wasn't in any position to question him,as I figured he knew more about the driveline management end of things then I ever would