Totally disable Traction control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tylerlewis_89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So on my 2011 it says in my manual to totally disable my traction and stability control to hold button for 5 seconds, how ever when I do that all I get is my traction control off. Only way I can get everything off is when I’m in 4 low.
I can totally disable with my bully dog tuner but get a **** ton of warning lights on the dash.
I’m just wondering if anyone has any input on this that would help do it the way the manual says so?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
TCS monitors the amount of wheel spin of each of the driven wheels. If wheel spin is detected, the TCS may apply brake pressure to the spinning wheel(s) and/or reduce engine power to provide enhanced acceleration and stability.

In light, wet snow and icy conditions TCS can be your best friend!

The TC button only turns off the traction control (TCS), the stability control (ESC) stays activated. To fully disable TCS and ESC you have to be in 4wd Low and follow a procedure which includes being STOPPED, motor running and holding the button down for 5 seconds. This will disable the TCS & ESC but only while your speed is below 40 mph, over 40mph the TCS and ESC resumes. When the vehicle speed drops below 35 mph the system returns to Full Off mode. To turn TCS/ESC on again, momentarily press the TC button.

ESC enhances directional control and stability of the vehicle under various driving conditions. ESC corrects for oversteering or understeering of the vehicle by applying the brake of the appropriate wheel(s) to assist in counteracting the oversteer or understeer condition. Engine power may also be reduced to help the vehicle maintain the desired path.

ESC is designed to assist in keeping your vehicle from spinning out when making an evasive maneuver like trying to avoid a child, or an animal or debris on the road. It is so effective it became mandatory in 2012. Since ESC uses the brakes to stabilize the vehicle it heats up brakes and increases pad wear, regardless, it is very effective.

The TCS/ESC full disable option in 4wd Low mode will definitely help in deep snow or mud when you need to plow through and not lose momentum. When getting stuck in mud or snow and you need wheel speed to get going.

ESC, TCS, and ABS, in some conditions, can do more harm than good. Not being able to switch them off in certain situations (trying to pull out of deep snow or a mud hole) can be a very serious problem. Even the owner's manual tells you to switch it off in certain conditions.

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
So when would you want to turn it off?? When your stuck? This is first vehicle I had with it so not real sure what to do?? Just bought my ram this summer. Haven’t had it in winter yet. So unfamiliar with this TC....

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you drive in deep snow where the truck may Bog down and you want some wheel spin, just try and remember to turn it off or else as soon as you get loose it will just fall on its face.
Guys have ran toggle switches to the abs Fuse to be able to fully disable it in a time of need because pulling the abs fuse 100% disables it.

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
You can’t just click it off??

OP
OP
tylerlewis_89

tylerlewis_89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My main reason to turn it off is that it’s winter here and I like to do some donuts and fish tailing and having the ESC still active really takes the fun out of it

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can’t just click it off??

Think it was already mentioned, but “clicking it off” using the factory button on the dash, only disables it below 40mph. So, when you spin a tire, the system re-activates.