Tow/haul button

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackout 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I dont haul anything but out of curiosity, I turned on the tow/haul, now maybe it was my lack of sleep, but the truck felt completely different! Seemed much more responsive with around the town driving, and seemed to prevent the lugging associated with going in an out of MDS mode.

Does the tow/haul button turn off the MDS? Does it hurt anything to drive in this mode all the time when not hauling anything (not on highway, in city).

Thanks,

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
yes it does deactivate the mds and i do not believe its good for your transmission to drive around unloaded with it on but i dont know for sure

using the button shifter will also deactivate the mds

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
From what I've read it will cause the transmission to hold gears longer and down shift with more authority when you give it some gas. Car and Driver called it the closest thing to a "Sport Mode" that they'd ever seen on a truck.

OP
OP
Blackout 6.4

Blackout 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
From what I've read it will cause the transmission to hold gears longer and down shift with more authority when you give it some gas. Car and Driver called it the closest thing to a "Sport Mode" that they'd ever seen on a truck.

I would agree with this statement, I really would have thought I had a tuner installed with the difference in the feel of the truck.

OP
OP
Blackout 6.4

Blackout 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have had mostly GM trucks in the past, and the when using the tow/haul, really could not tell a difference at all in the way they drove, much different with the Ram.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
that cant be good for the transmission in the long run though..its just causing more stress and wear, i dont think its intended to be used for normal driving in any way

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
yeah, I guess it would be similar to driving on dry pavement in 4wd. it'll grip nicely when launching, but eventually cause premature wear because of the driveline binding due to non-slippage.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
I doubt seriously that driving in tow/haul will hurt the transmission. Firm shifts are actually better for the trans. I do it when I drive in heavy traffic going thru Dallas and Waco, etc. Makes those lane swaps a lot quicker and safer.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
that cant be good for the transmission in the long run though..its just causing more stress and wear, i dont think its intended to be used for normal driving in any way

The transmission is going to be fine using tow/haul. It's going to allow quicker throttle response and it's going to down shift earlier and hold gears longer.
Your truck will be less efficient because of the increased use of higher RPMs for the motor but it's not operating outside of it's design parameters or anything.

HAMMER77777

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I USE IT. no harm to it, and i think u'll have better go!

Oilbelcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Limited Diesel
Engine
Diesel 3.0
Agree with above. Just. Fuel penalty. I also noticed the brake pedal felt different. The pedal travel reduced before engagement, and firmer feel. Could be just me.

Also note that it prevents the truck from going into Aero mode which normally engages at 66mph. I like aero mode on highway cruising, lower air susp, lower center if gravity, less wind drag in Arro mode. Didn't study, but I do believ tow still allowed 8th gear, just reached it at different rpm. For a little fun around town, I may play with it. But on highwY without trailer if leave in normal mode.

mmwaggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Turning on the Tow/haul is night and day difference. I turned it off tonight and let loose my hemifoot. But then I turned it off because I like the gas mileage with it off. But to echo others. No, shouldn't be detrimental to drivetrain.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Tow haul is good for the transmission. It adds line pressure and holds gears longer. Higher line pressure equals less slipping. Less slipping keeps the fluid from heating up as much. And it also keeps the transmission from searching for gears creating less shifts and once again the less a transmission shifts the less heat is transferred to the fluid. The reason that it's not always in tow haul from the factory is fuel economy and comfort.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had mostly GM trucks in the past, and the when using the tow/haul, really could not tell a difference at all in the way they drove, much different with the Ram.

i'm convinced tow/haul does absolutely nothing on GM trucks. have a 2011 silverado 4 speed which is already pretty bad for gear searching even with light loads and tow/haul doesn't do a dam thing to help

as for running tow/haul on the ram yes it's a big difference. you'll hold gears longer and downshift sooner which is also great for engine breaking. it shouldn't hurt it to run tow/haul a lot aside from fuel economy

OP
OP
Blackout 6.4

Blackout 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Agree with above. Just. Fuel penalty. I also noticed the brake pedal felt different. The pedal travel reduced before engagement, and firmer feel. Could be just me.

Also note that it prevents the truck from going into Aero mode which normally engages at 66mph. I like aero mode on highway cruising, lower air susp, lower center if gravity, less wind drag in Arro mode. Didn't study, but I do believ tow still allowed 8th gear, just reached it at different rpm. For a little fun around town, I may play with it. But on highwY without trailer if leave in normal mode.

I agree with your statement on the brake pedal feel, I have felt is as well. I think the truck does some sort of engine braking in this mode that engages before you hit the brakes or something

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In tow/haul mode you get more engine braking because the engine is running higher rpm. It will also downshift quicker when you step on the brake.

The thing to remember is that it also disables the top overdrive gear, so you may not want to use it on the highway for any length of time. Your six speed will be a 5 speed.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
In tow/haul mode you get more engine braking because the engine is running higher rpm. It will also downshift quicker when you step on the brake.

The thing to remember is that it also disables the top overdrive gear, so you may not want to use it on the highway for any length of time. Your six speed will be a 5 speed.

You do realize the 6 speed is a 5 speed anyways right?