Tow Mode Issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

transam210

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys,
A buddy of mine drives around in tow mode all the time, I asked him why and he feels as though the throttle response is better. He asked me if there would be any future issues will the gears or transmission if he continues to do it. Sense I have no clue I figured I'd ask. So are there any foreseeable issues with driving in tow mode 100% of the time. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
What tow mode does differs slightly between manufacturers, however there are some similarities. The end goal is to provide better control when towing a heavy load. Generically, the engine will rev higher between shifts, which can make the vehicle feel more responsive at the expense of fuel economy and increased engine wear, as it's undesirable to run engines under light load potential. Generally overdrive is disabled and Torque converter lockup is delayed. Another common feature on some manufacturers is a modification to the stability control to compensate for all the weight on the rear of the vehicle.

Generally its not going to cause major problems but it's not advisable to run like that all the time as you're revving the engine higher than need be.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I would say most likely not. All tow/haul does is change programming. All of the The physical components of the drive train are designed to handle the changes. Actually, the transmission holding gears longer and shifting less will actually cause less stress/heat.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I've been driving in tow/haul 24/7 for 5 years, it is second nature now after I turn the truck on, I turn the *** factory shift points off by pressing tow haul. There is much more risk if having a bogging transmission especially when the truck chooses 4 gear at 25mph.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I'm in town I activate tow haul- Don't need my tranny going to 6th gear at 35 or 55mpf to only shift back down to 4th when I try to accelerate. I also don't need mds activating durring city driving conditions. Tow haul drops my truck to 4th gear and it holds the lower gears longer which helps my drive style when in town. I hate feeling mds activate at 40mph - drives me fckn nuts - It's all personal preference.
2014 2500 6.4