Traction control coming on @ 70+ mph ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had something weird happen during a recent road trip.

I was doing the speed limit (70 mph), and in the far right lane of a 3 lane highway. There was a semi in the middle lane, and it was starting to rain.

The semi started really getting in my lane (it was 3 am, so I figured he was dozing behind the wheel), so I punched it to get away from him.

When I did this, the truck downshifted just like it always does, but the traction control light came on and started flashing, and didn't stop till I let off. It didn't feel like it was spinning, as it took off like normal, but I was more concerned with getting away from the semi.

The only thing I know of that makes it come on like that is a spinning tire, and there's no way my truck broke the tires (LSD, 3.92s) loose @ 70 mph, even on a wet road.

Any other ideas ??

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not totally infeasible that a kickdown shift in an empty Hemi with 3.92 gears in 2 wheel drive breaks traction if it just started to rain. There is a lot of grimy oily stuff on the road surface which takes a while to wash away. Also the right lane tends to have more wear and water can accumulate in the grooves.

Traction control may brake the offending wheel so you don't really feel the wheel spin but it may continue until you let off.

poweredbyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm coming from a list of newer fords that had stability control as well as traction control & either one would trigger the light & both did their jobs exceedingly well.
Maybe it was stability control preventing you from hydroplaning as that's what it would have been in a ford truck!However i'm not totally familiar with dodge as i just got my 1st ram & don't know if it even has stability control.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I'm coming from a list of newer fords that had stability control as well as traction control & either one would trigger the light & both did their jobs exceedingly well.
Maybe it was stability control preventing you from hydroplaning as that's what it would have been in a ford truck!However i'm not totally familiar with dodge as i just got my 1st ram & don't know if it even has stability control.

The ram does have stability control.

Did it feel like it was bogging down at all?

I'm with you I wouldn't think the ram would spin the tires at 70 but like stated maybe some oils were on the surface.

How about your tires are they in good shape?

OP
OP
TRCM

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Truck had like 13,800 miles on it at the time...only has 14,650 or so on it now.

Definitely didn't bog down, it went and got the heck out of the way.