Trans - round 4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trans - round 4 (updated ?? / Observation) page 2

Well trans has started to fail..... again.... started to going to limp mode again and feels like I have a parachute behind me.... so its looking like 4-6 more weeks without my truck.... I think I'm just going to have the dealer fix it under their work order warranty (see how much a fight that is) and once its home tear it back apart and start the adventure of the T-56 swap, suspension rework & fuel tank relocation..... If its even possible....

Even driving the truck to where I am never WOT to 4th or from 5th to 4th or anything like that and pretty much manual shift it, It has 0 mods at the moment since the last rebuild, only change to my truck right now is the suspension and yet still failed in full stock trim. I am suspecting that the Torq converter has never been rebuilt nor cleaned and is the culprit cause when it fails after rebuild it effects the whole trans not just 4th and 5th/ overdrive cluster. I'll drive it fast bust not up in down the gears... Either way knowing how I drive it, no trans should fail that way ever. Plus it has had a whine ever since it came back from the dealer, just took longer to go than I expected

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn man you've had such bad luck with those RFE trans!

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They don't like me, I got just shy of 100k out of the first onem but the other 2 about 7k each.. which is better than some from what I have read....
I honestly think alot of my issues isn't the trans as much as the rebuilt not being up to par and cutting corners.... That and it doesn't take 6 weeks to do the work.... I'm not even annoyed at the trans... I know it was going to go from the second I drove it off the dealers lot after the last rebuild, Its the ridiculous amount of time it takes them to do a few day job at the most that gets me pissed.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
6 weeks?? Yeah I think you need a new trans shop or different dealer. That's an insane amount of time to rebuild a tranny...

16laramie4wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Vr,c v,ewzwexe

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
My tranny started acting funny on my 2013 at 60k, had to unload it. Clunking into gear all the time I knew it was on its way out. Can't believe your on your 3rd tranny, that's BS

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Rebuilds never last. You are much better off just buying a junkyard replacement than letting someone rebuild what you have now.

hemi_loredo03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rebuilds never last. You are much better off just buying a junkyard replacement than letting someone rebuild what you have now.

Yep, junkyard all the way. I went thru 3 or 4 rebuilt Sharadon trans and it would never hold up. Went with junkyard trans and have been on the same junk yard maybe since 2013... a long ass time

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yeah, I'm just taking advantage of the warranty until I am ready to transform the truck... I was trying to be a cheap ass on some stuff and it kinda back fired, So now I'm rebuilding the 350 in the 88 k5 instead of the LQ4 swap and I will do the motor swap later once I buy that JK I have been wanting and planning to buy and convincing the GF that I need another new vehicle.

Vr,c v,ewzwexe

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think your littl-in got ahold of your phone :baby:

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, junkyard all the way. I went thru 3 or 4 rebuilt Sharadon trans and it would never hold up. Went with junkyard trans and have been on the same junk yard maybe since 2013... a long ass time

I may just go this route too, problem is out here junk yards with late models are hard to come across..... most have 15-20 year old vehicles

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Are you running stock or heavily modifed engine ?

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another vote for junkyard trans. I got 20k out of two rebuilds from the dealer, I'm at 27k on the junkyard dog trans out of a rental truck. It's starting to go out now so I'm trying to make it last till I can swap it out for a 46RH that a buddy gave me that is in need to be rebuilt/built.

Originally I planned to do tr6060 swap, but this will be a lot cheaper route because of the free core. So I'm gonna do manual VB on this instead and only miss the third pedal and some headaches hopefully.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you running stock or heavily modifed engine ?

First 1 was pretty much stock with minor bolt ons, 2nd one was tuned with a few more bolt ons, the others were bone stock, No tune, No go fast goodies, even the stock air cleaner box installed. I have a pile O go fast parts collecting dust that I cant use without fear of the trans going boom...
This is why I want to go with something a little more robust than the 545pos trans.... If the manual trans swap isn't possible then I will be following Charonblk07's lead and run the 4l80 he is doing.

I started to get more serious on the other 2 projects, mainly the one that was intended to replace the Ram as a daily so hopefully it lasts long enough to get the new motor and interior all done on the big blazer.... I go pick up a frame for it this weekend

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Being that I'm still driving it, basically to grenade the whole thing so the dealer doesn't do a patch job fix...
But While driving I have noticed it has no problem shifting, but its the down shifting that is the issue, when it gets lost on what gear its in and what to go to the traction control light comes on and I lose what gears are operated by the 4/5 cluster or overdrive cluster as I'm told.
Shut the truck off start it and shifts again after this, and kinda seems like it is a electronic issue not so much a mechanical issue??
I have also noticed if I put it in tow-haul mode and or turn off traction control the transmission drives normal and feels strong again... and pulls hard like it did new. flip it out of tow-haul and traction control and back to running like ****....
I have tried to research via google and find not much that is easy to read through that isn't opinion or rambles like mine. I am really beginning to think a large source to my issue really isn't the trans but the traction control system that eventually burns out the trans....
I have always has issues with the truck wanting to be in the right gear when just light cruising to the point where it doesn't want to downshift but will bog the motor even when throttle is applied. This doesn't happen when shifting manually or if in tow-haul.
So is it traction control or an overdrive issue or even a torq converter issue?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
RT, of this were a wrangler, I would suspect anything from a bad sensor, setting off the TC, to bent front end component or poor wheel alignment. Is your steering wheel straight? These are issues that have caused the TC to activate on wranglers. Of course they were lifted, had larger tires and have been off road. I agree, you may have another issue causing these symptoms and not trans mechanical issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is your steering wheel straight? .

Aside from a Camber issue it is good, had it adjusted a while back but every time I take it to a shop near my office they check it and its good. My suspect is the rear axle, I don't think is was put together right when rebuilt from the recall, but this may be the bias I have against that dealership.

I've replaced both sensors in the rear end and problem went away for a bit....
But I'm afraid to point it out as an issue and the dealer not cover the trans work they did previously