Trans fluid when changing engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

socalledchad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This may be a stupid question. ...I had mu motor changed out recently by a dealer...would they have lost the trans fluid while changing the engine?

I just wonder if I have new trans fluid now or if I shoukd still do a flush or whatever you do when it's time

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you lost any trans fluid, it wouldn't have been much. There's no reason to pull the trans when doing an engine swap. If they did, the should've pulled the driveshaft and plugged the output shaft of the trans, so a few drops (small puddle max). Just check the fluid level. It might be a tad low, but I doubt it. If it is, top it off and ride on.

OP
OP
S

socalledchad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes they are all full. I was just curious for maintenance reasons...if they had drained all of it and put new in I would wait to change or flush it

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trans fluid would only be lost from pulling the cooling lines (insignificant amount) or not disconnecting the torque converter from the flex plate when pulling the engine (large amount of fluid).

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
...or not disconnecting the torque converter from the flex plate when pulling the engine (large amount of fluid).

If I caught someone doing this while working on my truck I'd take it back in pieces and do it myself. Only a moron would try to pull the engine without disconnecting the TC from the flex plate.