Trans stuck in 4th gear.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had a odd thing happen this morning while driving to work, shifter lever got locked out, would not respond and stuck in 4th gear. shifted to neutral and nothing... Once I restarted the truck it acted normal.
Anyone else ever have this issue?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
4th gear is safe / limp mode from what I've read ?

Have you adjusted your shift points with your Tunner?

I don't have a Tunner (yet) so I'm not certin this could be the issue or not ?

Do you do alot of WOT driving?

Do you commonly do WOT at cruising speeds on the highway , like aggressively passing?

I've heard of guys 65RFE 6 speed auto xsmn's that tow & pass ( wot ) on the highway have gone into Limp mode (4th ) gear .

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had a odd thing happen this morning while driving to work, shifter lever got locked out, would not respond and stuck in 4th gear. shifted to neutral and nothing... Once I restarted the truck it acted normal.
Anyone else ever have this issue?
I have a 65RFE XSMN THREAD , check out this video , if nothing else it will show some interesting details that may Benifit you in the future .

Please post your xsmn's odd occurrence over on my thread ( thanks ) , there's some knowledgeable guys who pop in & out over there .

Hope this helps !

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...hare_fid=17770&share_type=t&share_pid=1367567

65rfe 4th gen 6 speed auto xsmn .

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
you were in limp mode. i suspect you have a stored code. have that read and go from there.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks,

I did just upload a new tune yesterday from Sean. Wasn't sure if it could be that or the usual weak trans issues but I'll play around with it and talk to Sean also about the shift points. I need to log some data and send it to him to review anyway.

As for driving, I drive very aggressive but never just go wide open, and I down shift or let it ride in gears. Generally around town with traffic and lights I rarely even get out of 4th gear unless I get lucky and get all green lights and can cruise.
I also tend to manually shift so most of the time shift points dont even come into play, but I'm beginning to think that isn't the best way to operate the trans.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
maybe a software glitch as the trans is re-learning how you drive with the new tune.

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tranny is in limp mode. Could be a number of reasons. With mine, I hate to say it , but it was toast. Got it done all covered though. Didn't cost a penny and took about a week.

Uturn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine did the same thing. Did it twice before it finally gave out. The torque converter was toast and took out the transmission. Tranny fluid went from red to black in 2000 km. Transmission did not throw any codes.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, i think mine is toast.... tossed some codes tonight. Its back to stock now and orob going into the dealer this week. Keeping fingers crossed the uphold their 2yr maintence warranty

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shifter solenoid
It's in with the dealer... all they have said is it has internal damage.... will find more out next week.
Here's to hoping it doesnt take 3.5 weeks like last time

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good luck with the dealer !

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Internal ?
Like the solenoid pack or plungers?
Dealer being vague on purpose?
Clutch packs likely burnt to then?

Could it be as simple as a plugged return line or filter?

Dodge should just keep inventory of ram trans parts on hand. They're probably not allowed to though as it affects Operating profit or some bs.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Imo , dealer being vague because they have no idea .

Probably just buying time so they can troubleshoot

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Imo , dealer being vague because they have no idea .

Probably just buying time so they can troubleshoot
Yup exactly. All they have done is test drove it or tried to. Took the 3 days to call me and tell me what i already knew, i kinda cut the service writer short and just told him get to the point of their schedule so i can plan accordingly.
So as long as they fix it right im happy, irritated but happy.
And i will start collecting parts to do the manual swap and be done with this weak auromatic bs

Mishalnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know 4 guys that this happend to the 2 of them had the check engine ligh and it was the solenoid and one took it to the dealer and the replaced the sensors and one dropped the pan and saw metal pieces = broken trans

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just had this happen to me, would a trans solenoid be covered under a powertrain warranty? My truck is a '12 and I bought it new

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just had this happen to me, would a trans solenoid be covered under a powertrain warranty? My truck is a '12 and I bought it new

If you are within your 5 year 100k miles yes.

When I took my truck in the first time I was about 3 weeks from timing out on mine, snuck it in just in time...

Now that I have it back, I'm probably not going to tune it cause I can already feel it isn't going to last. Don't know how to explain it but just doesn't feel right. So I'm going to ride it out and baby it till it goes under the knife and just ditch the auto.... Just gotta get life in order with some legal issues that are gobbling up my go fast funds... Sueing people is a pain in the ass

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I have to say that the dealership came through, it was the solenoid, no metal in the fluid when they dropped the pan. Having the filters changed while the pan is off, but the dealership and Chrysler are covering the solenoid and the tow to get it there... Overall I'm very satisfied and really thrilled it's not a bigger issue with the trans!