Trans Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SRR007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
OK, just got my truck back from the speed shop to get the 8 speed trans some better shifting. This weekend will be the real test as I didn't have a whole lot of time to test with my motorcycle in the back. Use that to get to work after dropping the truck off and getting back to pick it up. What I did notice is that the tap on the throttle is a great deal more head jerking. The shifting in drive through the gears was alot more of a positive hit. Not real hard as this will be a learning thing as the technology is new with many adjustments and from what I saw very complex. They want me to try it out and they will make some adjustments where needed to get the effect I am looking for. Want to make sure the trans will not take a **** right away. Will post a little more this weekend after I make a few runs on a clear road. My fingers are crossed, no fluid on the ground tomorrow. :driver:

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
looking forward to your SOTP impressions!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
OK, just got my truck back from the speed shop to get the 8 speed trans some better shifting. This weekend will be the real test as I didn't have a whole lot of time to test with my motorcycle in the back. Use that to get to work after dropping the truck off and getting back to pick it up. What I did notice is that the tap on the throttle is a great deal more head jerking. The shifting in drive through the gears was alot more of a positive hit. Not real hard as this will be a learning thing as the technology is new with many adjustments and from what I saw very complex. They want me to try it out and they will make some adjustments where needed to get the effect I am looking for. Want to make sure the trans will not take a **** right away. Will post a little more this weekend after I make a few runs on a clear road. My fingers are crossed, no fluid on the ground tomorrow. :driver:

Don't raise your 1-2 shift,as you might hit limp mode if it spins hard through first gear.About 6150 (maybe 6200 rpm if your lucky) seems to be the ceiling that you can raise the rest of the shifts to,with no issues. We took a good 1/10th off my track times with my 8sp,and it shifts way nicer at part throttle.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good luck. I recently tuned my own 8 speed with the HPT and it's great. I'm a 14 though so I can bring shifts all the way up to almost 6600, but I ended up around 6300 cause it felt best on the bottle.

As for the more firm shifts down low, I ended up changing mine around some more after a few days. After 3 days of firm shifts at less than 1/4 throttle, I got tired of it and softened it up in the part throttle range where it's not needed, but kept it firm, fast and tight up top at hard throttle.

You can download stock hellcat and SRT TCM files from the HPT repository and copy some of the tables from the srt TCMs, that's what I did for part throttle. It's better than stock but nothing too firm.

But, to each his own. I think you'll enjoy either way.

Jimmy_K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Keep us posted man! This is exciting stuff for us 8 speed guys.

Does the HPT software allow you to make the truck downshift faster? I noticed that the WOT downshift from 8th-3rd at about 50 MPH takes FOREVER in my bone stock truck. If it does I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and order the software and unlocked ecu.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Keep us posted man! This is exciting stuff for us 8 speed guys.

Does the HPT software allow you to make the truck downshift faster? I noticed that the WOT downshift from 8th-3rd at about 50 MPH takes FOREVER in my bone stock truck. If it does I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and order the software and unlocked ecu.

Yes. I'm not sure what individual parameters are responsible for it, but it's probably something in the stacked downshift tables. I didn't know what to do with them as far as making my own specs so I copy/pasted the settings from a stock SRT challenger sport mode into my normal mode. Big difference.

Video is 8th gear cruise, stomp it and let it eat. You can hear my foot kick the pedal and response is nearly instant. https://youtu.be/wBcW4Q03Feg

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yea felt like a different truck after I got my 8-speed tuned up! Love it even more now!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I don't think anybodies really figured out how to up the shifts much past about 6200 on the 15+ trucks yet with-out issues,the 14's seem to be a little more forgiving in that respect.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think anybodies really figured out how to up the shifts much past about 6200 on the 15+ trucks yet with-out issues,the 14's seem to be a little more forgiving in that respect.

Yeah I've heard about that. From what I see, the tunes are the same. They have the same tables, same parameters, same values. There must be something that you can't change causing it.

Mine is a 14 and after playing with it and trying many different things the hard limit right now seems to be 6590rpm and it hits limp mode. No matter what we did it wouldn't pass the 6600 mark. Of course, I don't need it to be that high, as it stops pulling hard much before that.

I just wanted to know if I could if I wanted too once my stroker is done.

OP
OP
SRR007

SRR007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Sorry it has been so long for an update after my trans tune. All is great just having an issue with the shift from second to third gear. It is short shifting in drive so have to go back and make a few changes to make it good. has a bunch more pull and stronger shifts but that is just seat of the pants feel for now. Heading back this weekend to make some more changes. Anyone that has gotten good results if you could hit me with some pressures for the shifts that would be a great help as all this right now is a hit and miss and try again for the moment. Girlfriend tried to make a vid of it but phone camera is very shaky.