transmission question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big blue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
I have a 2013 1500 ram
last week I put the truck in park (rotary knob) got out to check something and the truck went into drive and hit the garage (moved about 6 feet) The dealer scanned the transmission said there was nothing wrong, no codes. Chrysler Canada said that the damage is my problem ($3000 to truck and $500 to house). Has anybody had similar problems??

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ooh, not liking the sound of that.

P and D are as far apart as they can get, so if the knob wasn't completely latched in a particular gear it could have slipped into another. I could see going from D to N accidentally. Possibly P to R. But all the way from P to D???

whiteram432

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Quit shouldn't move on its own.. the only shift I've noticed.is when I get home and forget to shift the knob before I turn it off.. it shifts to park on its own

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If there was something manual going on with the switch due to some condition, no code would be thrown because your truck would "think" you put it in gear. Codes are just a guide, for something like this there is no sensor. Something manually put your truck into gear. Anyhow, make extra sure until you find out what's up put your e brake on tight. What happened when you got there, you put it in park again with no problem or issues?

RamHemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
man that is some scary ****! id insist they do something about this, or at least further diagnose the issue..god forbid, what if a family member/child was in front of the truck? ya just never know.

OP
OP
B

big blue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
thanks for the replies
the shifter was in "P" the light was on over the P
The following day the transmission would not go into Reverse after in Drive once. I had to put it into Drive then into Reverse and worked fine.
The truck has not acted up again. Thankfully
My next step is to contact Chrysler Canada and see what they have to say

Kaiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have not driven any of the new 8 speed trannies yet but im guessing you need the brake pedal depressed to shift from park? Thats crazy if those things are engaging gear on their own.

Alfonsio

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Speaking of new trannies, I work for a JIT supplier sending parts to the Toledo Jeep Plant where (aside from the Wrangler) they now make the new Cherokee. They have produced a little over 10K of them since August and have yet to send one to a dealer. They are parked EVERYWHERE in and around Toledo. The reason is the new 9 speed transmission they use in the new Cherokee doesn't work as planned...yet Chrysler continues to make over 800 Cherokees a day over the coarse of 2 shifts as they try to figure out the issue.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They have to make good on their parts contracts. Thats the only reason they keep making them and pay their employees.

fasthemiram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eagle 5.7 vvt
I would contact Chrysler Corp direct.
Sounds like a communication error between the knob and solenoid pack.
Recipe for disaster

fasthemiram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eagle 5.7 vvt
I had a 01 B3500 van that was possessed. It would accelerate on its own without touching the gas.
Once it revved to like 8 grand on its own and slammed into reverse and plowed through the car behind it.
I traded it in shortly after....

OP
OP
B

big blue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Finally got word from Chrysler Canada. They say that I am on my own for the repairs to my truck and house. Since there were no codes, there is no proof that the truck acted up. Chrysler or the dealer cant tell or wont tell me why when the transmission was first checked the dealer reprogramed the transmission. something is fishy about that.
Went to a couple body shops and got quotes. $3000 maybe more when the headlight and fender are removed.
Thanks Chrysler!