Transmission and Speedometer help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cherry2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello fellow Ram owners! My first post here. I’ve been reading this forum for over a year and have to thank you all for your valuable information!

I have a 2016 1500 Longhorn CC, 5.7 4X4 purchased new last January.

Looking for feedback on the following:

8 speed transmission. Last spring I started to get a ‘bump’ or hard shift when coming to a stop and the transmission was going into first gear. Almost felt like another car bumped me from behind. I brought it into the dealership. They performed a PCM update. This seemed to correct the problem. All summer was great. Fast forward to late fall. The ‘bump’ was back when coming to a stop, transmission shifting into 1st. I brought it back to my dealership in late January 2017. The dealer claimed they couldn’t duplicate the condition. I suggested the tech and I go for a drive. Sure enough he felt the ‘bump’. The technician call the Chrysler Technical line for help. They are suggesting a PCM reflash to put it in ‘learning mode’, hoping that will resolve the problem. I’m bringing the truck in this coming Monday for the reflash.

I haven’t lost faith in my dealer, however the problem returning has me concerned with long term wear on the transmission and it’s downright irritating when coming to a stop. My question is, has anyone experienced the same condition and what was done to resolve the issue?

Second issue. My analog speedometer and digital speedometer are not in sync. When driving at 100kms on the digital, the analog speedometer is ~ 3kms greater than the digital or equally the opposite, 100kms analog, 97kms on digital. The dealership called the tech line again for advice. Tech line advised this is normal. Dealership advised they took out a new 2016 1500 5.7 with the same results. I didn’t have time to verify their claim on the new truck, however I’m skeptical this is normal. Previous to my 2016 I had a 2014 1500 with 5.7 same gauges and there was no disparity between analog and digital.

My question to you folks, is anyone experiencing the same condition with their digital vs. analog speedometers?

Greatly appreciate any feedback or advise.

Thank you

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello fellow Ram owners! My first post here. I’ve been reading this forum for over a year and have to thank you all for your valuable information!

I have a 2016 1500 Longhorn CC, 5.7 4X4 purchased new last January.

Looking for feedback on the following:

8 speed transmission. Last spring I started to get a ‘bump’ or hard shift when coming to a stop and the transmission was going into first gear. Almost felt like another car bumped me from behind. I brought it into the dealership. They performed a PCM update. This seemed to correct the problem. All summer was great. Fast forward to late fall. The ‘bump’ was back when coming to a stop, transmission shifting into 1st. I brought it back to my dealership in late January 2017. The dealer claimed they couldn’t duplicate the condition. I suggested the tech and I go for a drive. Sure enough he felt the ‘bump’. The technician call the Chrysler Technical line for help. They are suggesting a PCM reflash to put it in ‘learning mode’, hoping that will resolve the problem. I’m bringing the truck in this coming Monday for the reflash.

I haven’t lost faith in my dealer, however the problem returning has me concerned with long term wear on the transmission and it’s downright irritating when coming to a stop. My question is, has anyone experienced the same condition and what was done to resolve the issue?

Second issue. My analog speedometer and digital speedometer are not in sync. When driving at 100kms on the digital, the analog speedometer is ~ 3kms greater than the digital or equally the opposite, 100kms analog, 97kms on digital. The dealership called the tech line again for advice. Tech line advised this is normal. Dealership advised they took out a new 2016 1500 5.7 with the same results. I didn’t have time to verify their claim on the new truck, however I’m skeptical this is normal. Previous to my 2016 I had a 2014 1500 with 5.7 same gauges and there was no disparity between analog and digital.

My question to you folks, is anyone experiencing the same condition with their digital vs. analog speedometers?

Greatly appreciate any feedback or advise.

Thank you

on your phone, download an app that has a GPS speedometer, and find out which is accurate. I get so sick when dealers take out other cars, and claim this. That's there go to excuse. The speedometers should be identical. Granted, 3Km an hour isn't a whole lot, but I understand the frustration, tell them you want it fixed, that's why you have an analog in the first place, it's not like the Durango where you can remove the analog completely , which is really just a digital version of the analog.

As far as the transmission, I don't have this issue, and don't see many threads about it. take it in, make them drive it with you, and hear it, once they adknowledge it exists, tell them to fix it. If they don't, call ram corporate, make them open a case, if it doesn't get fixed, at least try all methods to get it fixed first :)

OP
OP
C

Cherry2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good idea on the GPS. I'll try that and post results.

Yeah, 3kms is not a huge difference, but its staring at me every day. I have the feeling my dealer is passing the speedo problem off as "that's the way they're designed". I will push back and let them decide if they'll make it right.

As for the transmission, same approach. Give the dealer a chance to fix the problem. If they don't I'll escalate with Ram Corporate

Thanks for your feedback!