transmission or tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're going up a hill with a load at 1100 rpm, and you have no clue why your truck isn't happy? Really?

For pity sake, give that poor truck some rpm to work with. Up a hill with a load, and my truck would be turning at least 2200 rpm.

Gas is cheap right now. Burn some!

This right here exactly. Your engine wants and needs the rpm to get you up the incline, but your computer is hampering it by trying to keep the rpms low to conserve fuel which lugs your engine which actually burns more fuel.
Anticipate that upcoming incline and manually downshift the thing and cruise on up it then upshift.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
This right here exactly. Your engine wants and needs the rpm to get you up the incline, but your computer is hampering it by trying to keep the rpms low to conserve fuel which lugs your engine which actually burns more fuel.
Anticipate that upcoming incline and manually downshift the thing and cruise on up it then upshift.
So y'all are saying it's perfectly normal for the truck to have constant 200rpm "bumps" on partial acceleration....Going vroom vroom vroom vroom every second until mashing the pedal to force a downshift? Uh-huh....

The truck stock sure as hell doesn't do that and it is only happening with the custom tunes. That's the issue here....not someone babying the throttle.

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd love to have the software to tune myself.

There's lots of VARIABLEs that relate to the engine and throttle response that someone else says is good for my driving. How the TPS input relays to TB, tranny, and feel are all related.

I like my tune at WOT, but everyday driving suffers a little. I know it can be tuned out with 100 logs and emails but it's inconvenient.

If I could change what I wanted in the PID programming for tranny and throttle response curves id be Happier and could fine tune it to my driving style better I think.

Not that the tune is bad persay, but I'm a "tuner" and tinkerer and would like the truck to do what I want when i want rather than drive around the tune.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, thought I'd jump in here.

I bought my 2015 Ram sport Friday night. Have had a 2011 300C w/ custom tune from a reputable tuner for the past 4.5 years. I know exactly what you're describing and know the sweet spot to get it to surge in my car. It's around 23-27 mph barely pressing the accelerator, which cause an agrresive surging or bogging down. The first couple of times I thought my engine was going to explode... But now I do it for fun just to mess with passengers .

I think one of the other posts was spot on... It needs a little more gas... I suspect lower idle rpms may have a factor, perhaps with the throttle sensitivity as well. I bet others with custom tunes could experience it too given the 'perfect storm' of factors required.