Truck is feeling sluggish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone, so I have a 2016 Ram, 5.7 Hemi with the 3.21, currently sitting at around 17,000 kms. I swapped my factory 17's for some aftermarket 20's with stock tires, expecting a bit of a decrease with my initial acceleration due to the bigger wheels and the 3.21. I recently went on a road trip with the fam and I noticed that the truck felt sluggish all around, not just at the get go. Is this normal? I went with the 3.21 as I currently do no towing. Like I said I was expecting some loss with acceleration going with the 20's but it felt like the truck was struggling all around, keep in mind I've done this road trip last September when it was fully stock and this time it felt like I was driving a different truck. Is this normal? Or should I be looking into other factors other than the wheels and rear axle?

Jeff CA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The sluggishness is probably due to the increased weight of the wheels and tires. That's normal when heavier wheels and/or tires are put on. You could research the weight of the wheels and tires before and after to determine the impact. I just went from stock size tires to E load range tires one inch in diameter bigger and definitely notice the loss in acceleration. My choice, as the truck looks much better and is more capable due to the more aggressive A/T tread.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Un-sprung weight typically has a big impact. Much more than if you just put the same weight in the truck. It has something to do with the physics of rotation or a bunch of other stuff I never understood in school :banghead:

I remember in my younger days while driving cheap/gutless Toyota trucks when putting bigger tires on them it was like I had taken on a load of anvils. The 3.21 gears and larger tires/wheels are not a great mix.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Time for a tuner if you don't currently have one as one suggestion.

DRKNESS falls

OP
OP
Clever

Clever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking about a tuner, I really know nothing about them so I'll have to look into it. Aside from a tune is there any other advice? I was expecting a decrease when I decided to go with the bigger wheels, just not this much.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Honestly I could tell you to add an exhaust, ported throttle body & c.a.i but I realistically don't know how far you want to go to gain back what you've lost. :(

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
If you liked the pep it had before I'd change axle ratios and call it a day. If you're looking for more performance than that there's plenty of ideas around here to spend your money :naughty:

OP
OP
Clever

Clever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think a gear swap on a 4x4 would be the best idea considering the cost. I was asking around on a local forum and I don't think I can justify spending that amount just to "re-gain" what I lost with swapping to bigger wheels. I'd would much rather downsize the wheels and do a tune and like other recommended, CAI and exhaust. I am currently reading up on tuners to get a better idea. Thanks for all the suggestions and keep me' coming!

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I seen a lifted truck on a dyno once - it was on 33"s or 35"s.. anyways for shots and giggles they pulled the rear tires and slapped on a st of zo6 take offs- same bolt pattern- truck then made 75m hp to the wheels if memory serves me right.