Truck searching/switching gears at highway speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UDCentaur

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
2015 5.7 8 speed 3.21 gears CC Laramie

I feel like just started to notice the truck searching / keep switching gears at highway speeds anywhere from 50-65 mph. There is no reason...sometimes I'm on flat surface sometimes I'm slight incline/slight decline (we have no mountains or hills in my neck of the woods).

I feel like I didn't notice this before...have 16,500 miles on it.

This normal? Suggestions?

Side note the other day I turned truck on and all my radio presets were gone...weird.

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Are you running stock wheels and tires?

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the V6 (2016 quad cab) but I had the same issue as you. I bought my truck with 14k miles and noticed it right away. I tried everything from adjusting my speed from 60 to 80 mph and no matter what it did it. Seemed like it would be sitting in the high gear then drop down to a lower gear and accelerate for no reason. I called the dealer and took it in. Then looked at my computer and said no codes or issues. I asked them to reflash/ update my computer which they stated they did. I did notice the issue was fixed more or less. I still notice that my truck takes quite a while (3-5 miles) with the cruise on before it will shift and settle into the higher gear. Even then the RPMs are still over 3000 and then eventually will drop lower. It does do quite a bit of Yo-Yoing though. I have some other undiagnosed issues (at the dealer having engineers looking at it) so idk if its related to that or not though.