Truck shuts down after startup - weird - no code(s)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, after over one year of completely troublefree ownership, today I faced the first problem with my 2013 RAM 1500 Hemi, 34k Miles.
I was at the gas station, filled it up with 93.
Got back into the truck, started it up, grabbed for the seatbelt and the engine shut down. Ran for maybe 2 Seconds.
EVIC went blank, just the dash lights stayed on.
I removed the key, waited a few seconds and started it up again. All was fine and it ran like usual.
Very weird!

Back home I checked for stored codes - Nothing!
What was that? Should I be worried?
Anyone experienced something similar?

Last edited:

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the exact same thing happen once in my 2012 1500 hemi with 78k on it now, late last year about nine months ago.

Fueled up at the local Wawa station, started it up with the key (not remote start), and it stalled while putting on my seat belt. Evic went black - along with the Uconnect system.

Hasn't happened since. No other problems since that time either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
First thing I would check is you battery connection to rule that out! I am no wrench so take it for what it worth lol but I would start there

Reactions: SyN
OP
OP
DavidN

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the exact same thing happen once in my 2012 1500 hemi with 78k on it now, late last year about nine months ago.

Fueled up at the local Wawa station, started it up with the key (not remote start), and it stalled while putting on my seat belt. Evic went black - along with the Uconnect system.

Hasn't happened since. No other problems since that time either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weird - isn't it. Just some electrical Gremlin probably.

First thing I would check is you battery connection to rule that out! I am no wrench so take it for what it worth lol but I would start there

Battery connections are tight.

I probably shouldn't worry too much.
As long as it doesn't happen regularly now.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your battery is original you may want to have it load tested to see if is still good. New vehicles are power hungry and if the battery is weak either from age or sitting around too long it can cause all sorts of electrical and running issues.

Reactions: SyN

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Weird - isn't it. Just some electrical Gremlin probably.

Actually, this is what I'm thinking too. It's not a good answer, but with all the computer code these trucks use to run, it could be just a hiccup in the boot up. I'm a computer programmer for a couple decades now, and this is becoming more and more common. Without any trouble code(s), the dealer tech will not know what to do and send you on your way.

photonburst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine did that after the CAI install. The air sensor wasn't aligned properly. I did get a code in this case though.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Usual culprit is ignition, never throws a code because the truck just believes you shut it off.

OP
OP
DavidN

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm gonna have an eye on it.
If it happens again I'll investigate further.
Thanks for all your ideas!