Truck studders on acceleration when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ive tried checking trouble codes with my programmer and there isnt any. Any ideas where to start. Truck has vararam and moes ported throttle body 180 deg thermostat and hemifever tune

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Studs are usually a good thing when its cold. ;)

Probably just too much cold for that particular tune and your plugs... more cold air because of he Vararam and TB, and also longer to warm because of the thermostat.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Check your throttle body. It may need to be cleaned.

Also, the EGR can get a little stiff when it's cold if it's a little gunked up. You can clean that as well.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Check your throttle body. It may need to be cleaned.

Also, the EGR can get a little stiff when it's cold if it's a little gunked up. You can clean that as well.

EGR is a good point. Would the TB as a symptom go away when the engine warms?

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The truck only has 45k miles on it. Would the egr fail that early

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine sounds terrible when MDS is on. Sounds like an old pos truck that is hardly getting out of its own way. Where is the EGR on these trucks and how do you clean them?

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Mine sounds terrible when MDS is on. Sounds like an old pos truck that is hardly getting out of its own way. Where is the EGR on these trucks and how do you clean them?
Mine is the same way! I brought it to the dealer because i have a warranty and they told me that it was normal!!! I said no f*#; $n way thats normal! The truck pretty much shutters and feels like it's choking. Im going to throw new plugs in it because they are due to be changed (41k) but im not sure thats gonna fix it. I cant stand when mds turns on it loud and sounds so bad!

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is the same way! I brought it to the dealer because i have a warranty and they told me that it was normal!!! I said no f*#; $n way thats normal! The truck pretty much shutters and feels like it's choking. Im going to throw new plugs in it because they are due to be changed (41k) but im not sure thats gonna fix it. I cant stand when mds turns on it loud and sounds so bad!

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Let me know if new plugs help any!

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
My 17 6.4 is noticeable when the eco light comes on and it's on 4 cylinders. Much more noticeable than the 15 Chevy 5.3 that i had, but that had a flapper valve in the exhaust that quited it down a lot. I'd assume the ram does not have the due to the noise.

On the gm trucks website, folks who swap out the stock exhaust and thus omit the flapper valve complain of a "helicopter " sound. I think it does sound like that a little

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This has nothing to do with mds. It only does it when you guve it gas from a stop while its cold

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It's not an EGR failure that would cause this. An EGR failure would throw a code.

However, a sticky one (cold weather, carboned up EGR) would cause a stumble upon acceleration.

The TB issue does not always go away with a warm engine. It depends on how much crud is in the barrel.

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My throttle body looked clean last month when i cleaned my air filter and i have a catch can also

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since I put a tune in my truck it's studders terribly when the traction control engages. Sounds like it's dying but as soon as the tires regain traction it's totally fine. Prior to the tune being added when the traction control engaged it would just kill the power with out any added sounds or action of the truck.

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok this issue is getting worse. It does it every time the truck sits for a while and has a noticeable tic coming from the passenger side. Possible failed lifter? Doesn't really sound like a exhaust leak. Also i everytime i data log and send it to hemifever he says something is causing it to pull timing

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
put it back to stock and see what it does.take a piece of rubber hose and put it to your ear and use the other end to search around the exhaust and the motor and see if you can pinpoint the sound. failed lifters seem to be an ongoing thing also

tuned by Jay Greene