Trucks eating me alive with gas need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I average about 11, with lots of city driving. I occasionally tromp on it at a light, but not very often. If you do lots of city driving that's just what you get.

Winter fuels contain ethanol for smog reduction (it burns cleaner, that's why they have the E85 vehicles), and it has a lower BTU value than straight gas, which is one reason you get lower MPG in the winter.

If you only have 2300 miles on your truck be happy with the mileage you are getting. I was really dis-satisfied with my mileage until about 5k-6k when I think the engine was more thoroughly broken in.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I average about 11, with lots of city driving. I occasionally tromp on it at a light, but not very often. If you do lots of city driving that's just what you get.

Winter fuels contain ethanol for smog reduction (it burns cleaner, that's why they have the E85 vehicles), and it has a lower BTU value than straight gas, which is one reason you get lower MPG in the winter.

If you only have 2300 miles on your truck be happy with the mileage you are getting. I was really dis-satisfied with my mileage until about 5k-6k when I think the engine was more thoroughly broken in.

Well, it may take me close to a year to put 5k on it.

My last truck, I had 29 months, and only put 12,800 on it in that time.

The ONLY reason it has 2300 on it now (had it 3 1/2 months), is I literally went out driving for 2-3 hrs at a time for the 1st 2 weeks I had it to put the miles on it for break in so I could start towing my boat with it. Otherwise, it'd have less than 1000 miles on it.

TheMaddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I average 360-400 per tank. It just depends how much you wanna bear that rumble of the engine.