Tune or CAI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhiteNBlackRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would you guys recommend tuning truck first or installing CAI? Debating in which order to go. Any input is highly appreciated. Thanks

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
A tune is way more performance than a CAI, BUT you're still under warranty and some dealers can be prickly about tunes when it comes to drive train problems.

CAI isn't going to do a lot from stand point of torque or acceleration. You wont spin 20"s on dry pavement just by adding one. It is however an obvious and satisfying way of personalizing your vehicle and one of the easiest DIY alterations out there. Depending on which unit, you'll get a little throttle noise under the hood, some improvement in pedal response, and you may feel a little sump'n in the butt dyno.

Sure you can restore to stock and flash the PCM before service with a tune, but that doesn't always work with a break down, and each time you flash your PCM it leaves a signature behind.

You may be fine vis-a-vis tuner and warranty. I'm coming up on the end of my 5/100 warranty and have only had one issue, an exhaust manifold. So I could have gotten by with a tuner, but who is to say I wouldn't have put more strain on something given the ability to jump on it harder?

As an alternative to a tune, I would suggest the pedal commander (see Moe's Performance). It doesn't mess with your PCM/Warranty and it lets you take a lot of the lag out of your pedal, making for a more responsive skinny pedal.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tune, cause if you just throw a CAI on, the tune you have, works against it.

So a CAI, is a HUGE WASTE of money without a tune.

He is exactly right! I bought the S&B CAI and took it off after a week bc of a low speed off idle bog that wasn't there with the factory box. Trying to decode de myself on either the Pedal Commander or a tuner.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Both. Honestly, do both. The programmer will account for the additional air, improve throttle response and your engine will perform better.

This stuff works as a system. No single individual mod will get you everything you want out of the truck and without one of those items, you are affecting the performance potential of the other two.

With a CAI, programmer and freer flowing exhaust the system will be optimized.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
CAI first then a tune, the CAI won't work against the stock tune, it'll only help your engine to breath easier, but don't expect anything great until you tune and add headers and a free flow system. It's a total package.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Tune = 1st
In most cases a CAI is only a warm/fuzzy - I have one thing!

The stock air box is a very good design & flows a good amount of Clean / Cool Air.
Remember the PCM is in total control of exactly how much & correct amount of Air/Fuel mixture. No more / No less.
Adding only a CAI ---->Creates basically only more sound!

Like most above state---->It is the combo of a whole package that the performance gains are achieved.

Last edited:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
CAI first then a tune, the CAI won't work against the stock tune, it'll only help your engine to breath easier, but don't expect anything great until you tune and add headers and a free flow system. It's a total package.
Alert the Press! I actually agree with Tray!

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cai/tune

As said a cai will do little to nothin till your at a decient speed to get any performance gains...Think of the crotch rockets with the big intake between the headlights..Sweet eff all gains till your above legal speeds....

My thought would be a tb/better drop in airfilter and a tuner then tune...

OR

Buy all your performance parts over time and install all at once then tune..That way you really feel your bang for your buck..