Tuner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Good luck finding any other mod that will add that much HP to a gas vehicle for that price.

CAI are a better $/hp investment lol, and they tend to get you 15+hp. But who only wants to add 15...

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
CAI are a better $/hp investment lol, and they tend to get you 15+hp. But who only wants to add 15...

I seriously doubt a cai will get your 15 rwhp specially not if it's done to a stock truck with no other mods to help it

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

$300 for supposed 15hp or $600 for 25-30hp (even more if you get a custom tune) and the ability to turn off some of the horrible torque management. I would take a tuner over CAI any day.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I've never heard of this.... do tell!

Mopar News at SEMA: PCM Calibrations and more - Motor Trend The General Forum Forum

Mopar will announce new performance and customization items at the SEMA Show later today.

Engine performance calibration
Arrow Racing Engines in Auburn Hills, Michigan, and Arrington Engines in Martinsville, Virginia, will be supplying engine performance calibrations. Mopar has reviewed their facilities and determined the companies have the appropriate tooling and software to make the performance calibrations for 2011-2013 Chrysler Group vehicles. Additional companies will be announced at a later date.

Read more: Mopar News at SEMA: PCM Calibrations and more - Motor Trend The General Forum Forum

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Well, I got mine for $200 and they claim 17rwhp based on dyno.

A guy could build his own for like $100, and it would do basically the same thing, so even if it only gave 10 rwhp, that is still $10/hp which beats $20/hp at 30hp for $600.

This wasn't intended to distract from the conversation really, it was mostly supposed to be an aside lol

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I got mine for $200 and they claim 17rwhp based on dyno.

A guy could build his own for like $100, and it would do basically the same thing, so even if it only gave 10 rwhp, that is still $10/hp which beats $20/hp at 30hp for $600.

This wasn't intended to distract from the conversation really, it was mostly supposed to be an aside lol

I know what the companies claim, but I have yet to see one actually show an increase of 17hp on a dyno.

saying $20/hp is still forgetting the fact that you can tune it to get even more out of the tuner, and get more out of each bolt on you add. Then theres the trans tuning. I personally dont know how well the tuners eliminate TQ management but I do know these trucks have a lot of it...

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
K&N says 15.66 as calculated from their inertial dyno.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
only real way to see which you like better is to try both put on an intake and see how the truck feels then take it off and put a tuner and see the difference then

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
You lost track of the thread of our discussion Chaney.

I am not denying that there are sweet benefits to a tuner, but you get increases across the power band with a CAI as well.

To put us back on track... Even if the numbers for the K&N are stretched some (they can't be stretched TOO much since they are from a dyno) it must still add 10hp. A lot of the guys on here have built their own intakes which would do that even if the design sucks. That can put you at a $10/hp which the tuner can't touch if you are trying to do inexpensive but fun, and beneficial mods.

As an aside, set your truck back to bone stock, and run a 1/4. Then we can see the benefit of the CAI since all your slips show is the difference between two systems that are both better than stock.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

I am not denying that there are sweet benefits to a tuner, but you get increases across the power band with a CAI as well.

To put us back on track... Even if the numbers for the K&N are stretched some (they can't be stretched TOO much since they are from a dyno) it must still add 10hp. A lot of the guys on here have built their own intakes which would do that even if the design sucks. That can put you at a $10/hp which the tuner can't touch if you are trying to do inexpensive but fun, and beneficial mods.

As an aside, set your truck back to bone stock, and run a 1/4. Then we can see the benefit of the CAI since all your slips show is the difference between two systems that are both better than stock.

i can actually show you a dyno of a stock ram rt then a dyno of it with a k&n intake and it only gained 2hp

2nazt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Big Horn
Engine
So a tuner, even used for gages that you can watch without running a tune, used to monitor a vehicle for an early engine failure sign is not worth the money? I come from the Powerstroke world where gages were very important, as stated just the monitoring capabilities of these units are worth the money and size compared to filling up a pillar, and a dash pod and more, plus the HP you can gain and fuel economy you can save if you keep your foot out of the floor board. So say 3 gages and a pod are 400 hundred bucks and the tuner is 600 bucks, just tell yourself you're paying 200 bucks for 30 HP if that makes you feel better. I don't see the point of arguing why a tuner is a waste of money and CAI is worth it. But to each their own I guess. Me I'll just do tuner/intake/exhaust when I get back and be happy.

Last edited:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I don’t think the argument is if it’s worth it or not per 'se...the CAI will maybe really net you a couple HP, but maybe add better throttle response, and look cooler, and the deep growl when you floor it. All my trucks I saw no real gains. Tuner, yes...the Diablo so far adds 10 RWHP, and ability to add more as they progress with more tweaking. To me, with the gauges, ads benefit. But each of us has to determine if the $600 tuner and $240 CAI is worth it.

Black Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I took my k&n back off as all I feel I gained was a whole lot of noise. I put about 150 miles a day on my truck and the noise became unbearable. I did not notice any gain in hp with or any decrease without. It now is a $240.00 piece of something in my way!

OP
OP
ltr450rider13

ltr450rider13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
BD posted on their FB they squeaked out 32hp out sema ram w the gt. While trinity says 15-20.

OP
OP
ltr450rider13

ltr450rider13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Gonna wait couple more weeks and see what people are saying, I've waited this long right.

OP
OP
ltr450rider13

ltr450rider13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Is anyone running a trinity on a '11? numbers? Video?

torq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I have the trinity on my '11 but no strip by me. according to the virtual racer in the programmer i went from 7.29sec 0-60 to 6.53sec but butt dyno still fells torque managed

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
What gears are you running? Also, look into getting a higher stall tq converter. The converter and lower gears will really wake things up down low and get rid of that lack of tq you are feeling now.

torq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I have the 3.55 gears but i got the 4x4 so guess ill have to get 2 sets

Last edited:

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
That is the problem. 3.55's are holding you back down low and being a 4dr 4wd doesnt help either. Because you are 4wd, I would look into a converter before gears. Converter is only $525 as apposed to upwards of $2000 for a complete front/rear gear swap once you factor in labor.