Tuner Choices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Help this old man out with a tuner.:) Looks like there is 2 or 3 choices I can make for my 16' 2500 w/6.4. I don't use this truck to the extreme's for anything so I don't "actually" need a tuner. I would like a little more umpf for daily driving, switch to more pull power when towing, & then maybe fuel economy when on long trips.
Now the questions... what is the 2nd PCM for? How easy is it to switch tunes like I stated above? There is several $100's difference in the 3 at Moe's, what is the difference in performance or convenience? Anyone suggest one over the other for what I am asking for? Of coarse I would rather go with the one that only cost $600 but if the extra 300-400 makes a big difference I can just keep saving my pennies.
I haven't done too many mods on it. A few visual & a couple minor ones on the engine. One being duel in/duel out Flowmaster HD 50 & then a K&N CAI w/the extra tube mod that many have done on here. May take on the DIY throttle body porting task on a cold boring weekend this winter.
Alright guys take it away & school me :favorites13:

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been pretty happy with my Diablo Intune, think the new version just came out. The "other" PCM is required for all '15 and up Rams, factory PCM cannot be "cracked" to accept aftermarket tuning.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the way it works is a manufacture like diablo takes a stock truck and makes a "base line tune " to blanket all the trucks. A cutom tune on the same tuner takes it further by data logging what ur truck is actually doing and getting even more out of it. Hemis love customer tunes as dodge/ram leave a lot on the table as far as running. Yes all the motors and granny's are the same but no 2 are exactly a like. More guys with tuned 6.4 will chime in. IMO if ur gonna do it get a custom tunes from Greene or Hemi Fever.

One thing to note - the above post from" 6.7 cumins drvr" he is not naturally aspirated- so almost any type of aftermarket tunning can make his truck screem just by upping his boost a small amount.

Last edited:
OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Been pretty happy with my Diablo Intune, think the new version just came out. The "other" PCM is required for all '15 and up Rams, factory PCM cannot be "cracked" to accept aftermarket tuning.

Some come with an unlocked PCM others PCM exchange. Why would you want the factory PCM that cannot be unlocked? So you could put it back to factory if you sold it?

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Some come with an unlocked PCM others PCM exchange. Why would you want the factory PCM that cannot be unlocked? So you could put it back to factory if you sold it?

Exactly. Or if you had to take it in for warranty work.

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Exactly. Or if you had to take it in for warranty work.

So I guess you can't lock it. That would suck to get er' all tuned up how you like it & then they flash it & wipe out everything.
Still a little confused with the differences between the Trinity & the i2? Just different bells & whistles? I think since I am computer ******** the most user friendly would be great for me. As I said before I am not taking the truck to the drag strip or anything but would like a little better power to weight ratio... & as you all know they are fat pigs!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Talk to Matt at Moe's Performance about the tuners and their differences. He will be able to explain it to you. I am computer challenged also and he did a good job helping me understand.
Jay

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the way it works is a manufacture like diablo takes a stock truck and makes a "base line tune " to blanket all the trucks. A cutom tune on the same tuner takes it further by data logging what ur truck is actually doing and getting even more out of it. Hemis love customer tunes as dodge/ram leave a lot on the table as far as running. Yes all the motors and granny's are the same but no 2 are exactly a like. More guys with tuned 6.4 will chime in. IMO if ur gonna do it get a custom tunes from Greene or Hemi Fever.

One thing to note - the above post from" 6.7 cumins drvr" he is not naturally aspirated- so almost any type of aftermarket tunning can make his truck screem just by upping his boost a small amount.

I'm naturally aspirated now............do miss the '10 CTD though and you are correct, aftermarket tuning made that truck scream (delete was a big improvement aswell).

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I had a Diablosport I2 & a custom tune from HF that I got from Matt @ Moe's as a package on my 2014 2500 6.4L and it was an amazing change in throttle response, power and driveability.

For your 2016 you do need either a second PCM or do the PCM exchange due to encryption on the OEM PCM. Which one you go with depends on whether or not you want to swap in the OEM PCM when needing to go to the dealer. As you stated, it would suck if the dealer scrambled your programmed PCM with an update flash.

The Trinity holds the same tunes from Diablosport as the I2. The process of. loading tunes, modifying tunes and removing tunes with the programmers is the same. The biggest difference is that the Trinity stays plugged into your OBD-II data port to display real time data on the configurable screen.

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I had a Diablosport I2 & a custom tune from HF that I got from Matt @ Moe's as a package on my 2014 2500 6.4L and it was an amazing change in throttle response, power and driveability.

For your 2016 you do need either a second PCM or do the PCM exchange due to encryption on the OEM PCM. Which one you go with depends on whether or not you want to swap in the OEM PCM when needing to go to the dealer. As you stated, it would suck if the dealer scrambled your programmed PCM with an update flash.

The Trinity holds the same tunes from Diablosport as the I2. The process of. loading tunes, modifying tunes and removing tunes with the programmers is the same. The biggest difference is that the Trinity stays plugged into your OBD-II data port to display real time data on the configurable screen.

Thank you! You explained it very well. With the info you provided I will probably go with the i2, second PCM, & HF custom tune. Now I just gotta start saving those penny's! :naughty:

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After my experience with a defective I2 and unlocked PCM, I'm glad I payed for the 2nd PCM. While DS had me needlessly sending the PCM back and forth, I would've been stranded while my unlocked PCM was on walkabout. BTW,I upgraded to a 2nd Trinity (have had one for the Jeep for 6 years), and their parent company finally took care of the PCM issue and sent me a new one. Never had any issues with the old Trinity, or the Predator before it. Another option for tuning is Johan, [email protected]. He's the one that wrote the canned tunes in the DS tuners as well. All of those mentioned above are fine tuners though.

wink

Mr Papagiorgio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Riddle me this...

If Johan is such a great tuner, why is there a huge market and performance gains over the Diablo canned tunes. Even when it is a stock vehicle.

Option 1 - Great tuner but wrote bad canned tunes to allow his custom tuning business to succeed. Possibly why he is no longer with Diablo

Option 2 - Sub par tuner and just a good programmer/software developer.

Hmmm...

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Riddle me this...

If Johan is such a great tuner, why is there a huge market and performance gains over the Diablo canned tunes. Even when it is a stock vehicle.

Option 1 - Great tuner but wrote bad canned tunes to allow his custom tuning business to succeed. Possibly why he is no longer with Diablo

Option 2 - Sub par tuner and just a good programmer/software developer.

Hmmm...

It's called CYA (Cover Your Ass). DS can't ship an on edge tune. They ship a generic tune to cover as many vehicles/mod combinations as possible. No one serious about performance runs the canned tunes. They run his custom tunes, which are optimized for your particular vehicle.

Riddle me this...

Why would the builders of the fastest Gen III Hemi on the planet (Rob Goss's Drag Pack) contact Johan over any of the others? Plenty of talented tuners out there to choose from. In fact that builder does tuning themselves. That was told to me by the actual builder, not Johan. They also built my engine, based on Rob's build. Johan's very modest, and has definitely never acted unethically in my experience.

I've been happily running his custom tunes for over 6 years now in my Jeep. My timeslips speak for themselves. Never had an engine issue either. He's also doing the tuning for my new build. Not saying he's the only tuner out there, just another choice, but he certainly knows how to safely squeeze the last ounce of performance out of a Hemi.

wink