Tuner newbie questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fishman1113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm looking at a diablo sport tuner most likely. Been reading a good bit on them and just can't figure out exactly what I'm going to do.

Truck specs: 12 Ram 1500 Crew cab short bed. Lifted 6". 35 x 12.5 tires. JBA long tube silver ceramic headers. Y pipe. (Soon to be changed, its ridiculously loud), single 3" to dual 2.5" flowmaster super 10 muffler. Nothing special on top.

Questions???

- My mechanic that installed my headers this last week has a used Diablo T1000 that he will sell me for $450. Seems like a good price.
: However is it the same thing as the Trinity? I think it is but just not 100% on that. He had it on a Challenger, so that's throwing me off I guess.
: Are there any issues that could turn up with used units?
: Other than the tuner, what comes in the box with it? I wouldn't want to buy it and then have to buy something else that would have came with a new unit.
: any other thoughts on buying this tuner?

- I have an amazing dyno tuning shop only a few miles from my house. They have tuned a couple of my buddies vehicles. (I know of them timing Rams with fantastic results.) With that in mind...
: Would you all recommend buying the Hemi Fever tune?
: Or, would a dyno shop do the "tuning" themselves? ( I guess I'm not sure if custom purchased tunes are needed if tuned by professionals)
: Does having headers and custom exhaust change things with buying pre programmed tunes?

- Any other thoughts and ideas that this newbie should know or understand would be great!

I do plan on going to the shop tomorrow to talk with them but I want opinions from you all on here.

Thank you in advance!!

Last edited:

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think you can probably buy a new one for 450. I think the i2000 is only 399.99. And you don't have to unlock the PCM. Pre 15's aren't locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Frankly, I'd get a new tuner for that price and take advantage of a combination deal with a new tuner and a custom tune from Hemifever through Moe's Performance, a vendor here.

It's a great deal and Hemifever knows his stuff. His custom tune on my 6.4L 2500 was amazing.

OP
OP
Fishman1113

Fishman1113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Frankly, I'd get a new tuner for that price and take advantage of a combination deal with a new tuner and a custom tune from Hemifever through Moe's Performance, a vendor here.

It's a great deal and Hemifever knows his stuff. His custom tune on my 6.4L 2500 was amazing.

But wouldn't a complete custom tune done on a dyno be better than a preprogrammed tune that can't possibly know what's going in in my trucks engine? Can the hemifever tune account for my headers and custom exhaust? That would be great but I'm not sure how that would work.

And I think your right. A new tuner is probably what I'm thinking too.

OP
OP
Fishman1113

Fishman1113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you can probably buy a new one for 450. I think the i2000 is only 399.99. And you don't have to unlock the PCM. Pre 15's aren't locked.

The only tuner that I can find recommended for my truck is the trinity and that 599.95 across the board. Haven't seen it much cheaper anywhere.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
But wouldn't a complete custom tune done on a dyno be better than a preprogrammed tune that can't possibly know what's going in in my trucks engine? Can the hemifever tune account for my headers and custom exhaust? That would be great but I'm not sure how that would work.

Yes he can do a custom tune based on your upgrades. He asks you a series of thorough questions about the truck and any performance upgrades. His custom tune on my truck is nothing short of amazing. Its so much more responsive than stock and it gets the same if not slightly better mileage.

OP
OP
Fishman1113

Fishman1113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes he can do a custom tune based on your upgrades. He asks you a series of thorough questions about the truck and any performance upgrades. His custom tune on my truck is nothing short of amazing. Its so much more responsive than stock and it gets the same if not slightly better mileage.

Awesome! That's really good to know! I'll check it out! Thanks.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Awesome! That's really good to know! I'll check it out! Thanks.

No problem! Another great custom tuner is Jay Greene. I have no experience with him but I've heard nothing but good things about him.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Like i said in another thread about 2 mins ago once you go GREENE you never go back

tuned by Jay Greene

OP
OP
Fishman1113

Fishman1113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

So I'm really debating doing the tuner from Moes. If I buy it and go with the hemifever tune, does someone contact me about what's been done to my truck? I know you said that he asked a bunch of questions. Just not sure how that gets accomplished. Sorry seems like a straightforward thing but I don't see anything about that on the site.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I'm really debating doing the tuner from Moes. If I buy it and go with the hemifever tune, does someone contact me about what's been done to my truck? I know you said that he asked a bunch of questions. Just not sure how that gets accomplished. Sorry seems like a straightforward thing but I don't see anything about that on the site.

No worries I was in this same boat last year. So when I bought my tuner from Moe's, Matt contacted me and gave me a brief rundown on what steps need to be taken when and what Sean from Hemifever would need from me. After I got my Trinity, Sean emailed me asking what I wanted for tuning, then asked me a bunch of questions about my truck. I don't remember the specifics, but I do remember him asking what performance mods I had done such as headers, air intake, etc and what octane gas I would most likely be running. Then within a few hours I got my custom tune along with logging instructions so he can verify the tune was correct for my truck. After 4 logs and 2 revisions to get it perfect, I have what I feel is the perfect tune for my truck. His instructions are detailed and he answered all my noob questions promptly.

OP
OP
Fishman1113

Fishman1113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No worries I was in this same boat last year. So when I bought my tuner from Moe's, Matt contacted me and gave me a brief rundown on what steps need to be taken when and what Sean from Hemifever would need from me. After I got my Trinity, Sean emailed me asking what I wanted for tuning, then asked me a bunch of questions about my truck. I don't remember the specifics, but I do remember him asking what performance mods I had done such as headers, air intake, etc and what octane gas I would most likely be running. Then within a few hours I got my custom tune along with logging instructions so he can verify the tune was correct for my truck. After 4 logs and 2 revisions to get it perfect, I have what I feel is the perfect tune for my truck. His instructions are detailed and he answered all my noob questions promptly.

Awesome! Thanks! So the tuner just plugs into the OBD2 port correct? So easy install

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^This. The first tune/calibration update takes a good 45mins. I usually leave the drivers door cracked open so the various modules don't go to sleep

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Awesome! Thanks! So the tuner just plugs into the OBD2 port correct? So easy install

Yes plugs into the OBD port. Easy depends on if you want to mount it. If you mount it to the windshield you will need to do something with the cord. Routing that down to the OBD port can take some time

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been using tuners on my Rams and Challenger for over 10 years, and I like the Intune I2. It is a very nice tuner that does a lot. The custom tune from Hemifever does work nice.
Keep in mind that a tuner does a lot more than just make more power. It will help the truck or car a lot by reducing the throttle lag when you step on the throttle, it will reduce the torque management that pulls power during transmission shifts, and whole lot more. Plus a dyno tune will be good for wide open throttle, I can only see this type of tune if I am building a strip only car or truck.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Hemifever sends you a base tune, you load it on the tuner, put it on the truck and you run the vehicle, putting the tuner in log mode.

You extract the logs and email them to him. Then he tweaks the tune based on the log results and sends you another tune. You download that to the tuner, put it on the truck, and run it.

You'll drive it for a bit, evaluate the performance, determine if you want more changes, log and send those logs to him.

I suspect you might go through 4 or 5 iterations of the process at most.

One thing to note...the tune revisions provided by Hemifever are done for no additional fee. The price of a full dyno tune is in addition to the tuner purchase in many cases so this is very cost effective.

As I said, the changes made in tuning during that process made the 6.4L engine a beast.

OP
OP
Fishman1113

Fishman1113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys these responses are so helpful! I love my Rams and finally decided to put a little work into this one. I'm in the process of making my order with Moes now! I feel like it's silly for me to pay 300$ for a dyno and then might not be exactly what I'm wanting anyhow. It sounds like the hemifever tune is the way to go for me at the moment.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Awesome! You won't be disappointed, Matt at Moe's and Sean at Hemifever are both great to work with.

Like Maddog said, the driveability improvement with a custom tune is such a seat of the pants difference. You will be amazed how much a simple tune can change the way truck drives.

OP
OP
Fishman1113

Fishman1113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ordered this morning! Within a few hours i received an email that the tuner had shipped. This evening I received and email from Sean at hemi Fever for my trucks info! So far everything you all have recommended has been fantastic! Thanks!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963