Turning off MDS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red5Point7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just wondering what the big craze is for turning MDS off. I put on a Craven competitor series exhaust and I hear no difference in exhaust note when MDS kicks in. I'm just curious why people don't enjoy the slightly better MPGs?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You dont get better MPG and its an annoying feature that make the truck sluggish.

On top of it im pretty sure it cant be good for the longevity of an engine. Trust me when you do a proper comple exhaust upgrade you hear and feel the difference.

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the competitor on my 5.7 as well. The MDS made the truck sound like a dinosaur was farting. I changed to the progressive and now MDS still sounds like a big fart. It is unmistakable when MDS kicks in. Maybe yours isn't turning on.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Guys buy 8 cylinders because they want 8 cylinders, I would have never bought my truck if I knew half the time I had 4 cylinders turned off. My next truck with be the old 12 valve Cummins, nothing to break and built to last. My bad for not researching it.

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It's hard to miss the sound when the MDS kicks on with a craven. You can also feel it in the way the truck reacts. In my case coasting at 1500 rpm with the meds active caused a horrible buzz/rattle. So bye bye mds.

Thedarktitan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a single cab with flowmaster super 50 hd and don't notice any sound when it kicks in.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I shut it off at the column when in town. Highway cruising at 75 to 80 I leave it on. I doubt people actually get better gas mileage while MDS is off all the time, esp highway.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine sounds horrible when it goes into MDS with my 24" Magnaflow. I've run several tanks with and without MDS and the fuel savings is marginal at best. Literally got about .5mpg better city/highway combined with MDS on. I turned MDS off with my Trinity. The truck just runs so much better overall. I still get 14-15mpg city and 19-20 highway.

From what I've read about MDS, the truck works harder while in MDS because its only running on half the engine. So the pcm dumps more fuel into those 4 active cylinders before kicking it back to 8. Whereas if it were on 8 all the time it would've dumped less fuel albeit into 8 cylinders instead of 4. So the fuel savings are most likely nil. I do think MDS would work great in an area where it was completely flat and you could cruise at 65 while in MDS. But for the avg person there's hills, traffic, etc. IMO it just doesn't net the fuel savings to be worth the exhaust drone, decreased responsiveness, or the fact that half the lifters are getting very little oil and are essentially collapsing on cue.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Magnaflow 14 and it sounds like poop when mds kicks in so in town I shut it down as I do not want to embarrass myself. I will turn it on while cruising the highways and byways but after reading a few posts maybe I should not??????

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Non issue for me. I turn the MSD, and the TC off every time l start the truck.

Something about a V8 running on 4 cylinders, just can't be good for it.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Back in 2009-2012 the MDS was causing the timing chains to fail causing major engine damage in the Challengers. Some dealers told the owners not to drive the car until a fix was available. So I still did not trust Ma Mopar when they said they fixed the problem in the 13 and newer cars. I picked up a Intune tuner and turned it off. Plus with a custom tune the car really woke up. :)

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
So, just to clarify (for a new Gen 4 owner).....

Turning off the mds by shifting the 8 speed down to 1, then up to 8 after putting it in Drive, has zero downside on systems, and is probably BETTER for the engine ?

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine

Turning off the mds by shifting the 8 speed down to 1, then up to 8 after putting it in Drive, has zero downside on systems, and is probably BETTER for the engine ?

Bump.

?

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

"Better for the engine" would depend on who you ask. I would bet most drive the truck and don't even know it is doing its thing. I kind of like the idea of turning it off and have been the last few days of driving.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Every time the engine comes out of MDS, there's a slight surge of power almost like a soft transmission shift. I can't imagine that being good for the valvetrain.

I love how my truck drives without MDS enables. Power is there instantly and there's no annoying drone around town when it goes into MDS at a low speed.

Jeremy73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

So you can turn off the MDS by doing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk